View Full Version : Today I Lost A Friend Of Mine(a poem my me)

doolittleky
11-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Today I Lost A Friend Of Mine

Today I lost a friend of mine.
My headlights caught a glimpse
of him laying lifeless in the road.
In shock and disbelief I stopped
to check and prayed it not be true.
My friend had gone to heaven and
there was nothing that I could do.
As I picked his cold, limp body up
and placed him in my van
Tears of sadness and anger
streamed down my face.
I had met my friend late one night
as I was getting out of my van.
The second he saw me
he meowed and ran
right into my arms.
We were friends from then on.
Even though he wasn't
mine I still loved
him anyway.
I don't know where his
home was.
I don't even know his name,
but my friend has a home with
me now where he will
eternally rest in peace.

I wrote this today in the middle of feeding the fur gang. My friend the beautiful dark gray cat died late Saturday night. I had friest seen him maybe 6 months ago following a neighborhood cat. It was so cute because oreo kept looking back at him like to say "stop following me!" and the gray cat would crouch down like he was stalking Oreo about to pounce on him. The second the gray cat saw me get out of my van he meow and ran right to me like he had know me forever. I picked him up and held him and he purred. Since then everytime . At the time I wondered who he belonged to since I hadn't seen him before. I thought maybe Oreo's family got a second cat since he was following him. But he didn't have a collar and Oreo wears a collar. I tried to put a collar on him with a note saying if you own this cat to call me so I know that he has a home but he wouldn't let me put it on him. I was so tempted to take him but I didn't because I knew he just had to belong to someone even though I hated the thought of him being outside. The next time I saw him he had a red collar on. but he never would keep a collar on, one day I found the collar and still have it. I tried to put it back on but he just got mad and ran away. The last time I saw him he had another collar on him. I am so sick that he was killed. I feel so guilty that I just didn't take him the first night I saw him. I can't stop crying and I am so depressed about this. I tried to ask around to see who he belonged to to let them know but couldn't find out. I took him to animal control to have him cremated and will pick up the ashes when they are ready. I wrote this and I still don't know if it is just right or not, I just added a line to it so it might change or not.

rg_girlca
11-28-2005, 03:24 PM
OH Melissa, I am so sorry. :( He obviously belonged to someone for him to have collars on him. Please don't blame yourself over this, you can't take in every cat you see on the street, especially if they belong to somebody. It sounds like he could have belonged to Oreo's owner. Is there a way you can find out?
This is one of the reason's I keep mine safe in the house, especially since our street is a very busy one.

That is such a beautiful poem that you wrote.

Rest in Peace little one.

((((((HUGS)))))) Melissa.

catmandu
11-28-2005, 04:14 PM
I had the same thing happen with Orange Blossom.I knew he was Morris from up the Street but the Drunks wouldnt let him stay in.I let him stay nights sometimes,and I put him out in the Morning.
It was like Fred Flinstone putting Dino out,as he didnt want to leave.
But I didnt want to be accused of stealing Cats.And then One Day,I found Orange Blossom dead on my lawn,coming to what he dearly wanted to be his home!
I wish I had let him sleep over that day,every day I wish I had let him stay in.

doolittleky
11-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I still look for him when I take the dogs outside to go potty. I guess i am hoping for a miracle and that it wasn't the gray cat that I knew but then it would be another cat so that would be sad too.