PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe this...

4theloveofzoe
11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2005/11/24/news/z03beagle%20shot.txt

WHAT was this guy thinking????? :(

.sarah
11-27-2005, 09:13 PM
The dog should be taken to a vet to determine if it did, in fact, have rabies. Otherwise, you can't really argue on this. It is horrible, though.

You can't get a rabies unless bitten by an animal who has it, right? If not, disregard what I said.

Toby's my baby
11-27-2005, 09:17 PM
The dog should be taken to a vet to determine if it did, in fact, have rabies. Otherwise, you can't really argue on this. It is horrible, though.

You can't get a rabies unless bitten by an animal who has it, right? If not, disregard what I said.

Yes, i believe that is true, i think if you get thier saliva in your mouth, you can also get it. . I THINK.

But really, i dont think he should have shot the dog. .

Addie
11-27-2005, 09:17 PM
geeze...it's people like that that should NOT be cops...they try to protect theselves while hurting others...both human and animal

.sarah
11-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Yes, i believe that is true, i think if you get thier saliva in your mouth, you can also get it. . I THINK.

But really, i dont think he should have shot the dog. .
How come? I think it's horrible, but at the same time I don't think the officer had any other choice. I'm sure if he called a vet and said "There's a dog out here who I believe has rabies, what should I do?" that the vet would agree that shooting him is the most humane thing to do. Since you can't get close to an animal with rabies, it would be hard to even muzzle it and the euthanize it.

Addie
11-27-2005, 09:23 PM
*shots*

Toby's my baby
11-27-2005, 09:26 PM
How come? I think it's horrible, but at the same time I don't think the officer had any other choice. I'm sure if he called a vet and said "There's a dog out here who I believe has rabies, what should I do?" that the vet would agree that shooting him is the most humane thing to do. Since you can't get close to an animal with rabies, it would be hard to even muzzle it and the euthanize it.

I guess you do have a point there. I just wish they would have had another choice than to shoot the dog.

One question. . . I live on a farm, and my dogs are outside when i'm not home, if they eat a squirrel or something, then they obviously would get rabies right?? -edit- they have thier shots, so they couldnt i guess, right? I'm just saying, because the dogs were chewing on a rat the other day. . yuck, obviously we took it away, but you know. .

.sarah
11-27-2005, 09:29 PM
I guess you do have a point there. I just wish they would have had another choice than to shoot the dog.

One question. . . I live on a farm, and my dogs are outside when i'm not home, if they eat a squirrel or something, then they obviously would get rabies right?? -edit- they have thier shots, so they couldnt i guess, right? I'm just saying, because the dogs were chewing on a rat the other day. . yuck, obviously we took it away, but you know. .
I would still take them to the vet if they ate a wild animal, but that's just me I guess. Maybe if I didn't work at a vet I would wait to see if they got sick, but it's so easy just to pop them in the car and go to work ;)

My friend's wolf hybrid ate a squirrel last year and she was fine.

.sarah
11-27-2005, 09:30 PM
*shots*
:confused: What?

Lady's Human
11-27-2005, 09:31 PM
If the dogs have had their shots, they'll be fine.

There weren's many other choices for the officer, especially if he thought the dog could be rabid. In addition, in areas where deer hunting is a common activity, it's not uncommon for dogs who are chasing deer to be shot.

Toby's my baby
11-27-2005, 09:36 PM
If the dogs have had their shots, they'll be fine.

There weren's many other choices for the officer, especially if he thought the dog could be rabid. In addition, in areas where deer hunting is a common activity, it's not uncommon for dogs who are chasing deer to be shot.

We live in a highly common hunting area (we have "hunting day" off at school :rolleyes:) and Emma (Dogz) dog Chubby got shot, but i dont remeber if he was chasing anything, i think he was just out in a guys feild :(

Addie
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
the dog had the shots right? He could have made sure or made a noise to see if the og was only doing that because it was hurt or lonely...it even had identification tags on. I would get bit by another dog to see if it had rabies before i shot it*Which i would never ever ever do* I got bit by a bat and had to get rabies shots...so what...we even let the bat go because i was afraid to kill it...i would have got rabies shots to save the dog, tetanus, whatever! Evidently he is more concerned about himself than the family who owns the dog...i mean...does a deer really bite dogs? If he said he saw the dog chasing a deer the only way to get rabies is if the deer bit it...highly unlikely...geeze...people suck...

IRescue452
11-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Must be a Wisconsin police thing. We put our dogs inside in their kennels if the police are in the neighborhood. A few years ago a policeman in Milwaukee shot a cocker spaniel that was running up the driveway to meet him. Its tail was wagging and the lady was yelling not to worry it wouldn't hurt him, and he just pulled the gun. I honestly don't trust police around here. A beagle is going to howl if it finds a bunny down a hole, thats what they do. He could have caught it without getting hurt. Most cops here have catchpoles. The lady should have gone looking for her dog though.

poofy
11-27-2005, 09:50 PM
bad judgement on his part, shouldnt be a police man..who will he kill next.. :(

lv4dogs
11-28-2005, 10:29 AM
That is a shame. They should of tried to catch the dog via a catchpole (I think thats the name, it's a lead on a pole) or a trap or something.

Worse case scenario should of been that the dog go through a quarantine process.

I'm not defending the police officer or anything and I don't even agree with it but here it is illegal if a dog chases deer. So illegal that is legal to shoot any dog who is caught chasing deer. I don't know if they have the same rule there or not.

dab_20
11-28-2005, 10:39 AM
That's really sad. Howling and acting hurt doesn't mean the beagle has rabies!! I don't know whats up with that police officer. He should feel bad about it!! Maybe the dog was hurt.... it's just riduculous what he did.

I'm not defending the police officer or anything and I don't even agree with it but here it is illegal if a dog chases deer. So illegal that is legal to shoot any dog who is caught chasing deer. I don't know if they have the same rule there or not.

The dog was chasing a squirrel, not a deer. I don't think it is illegal there... Wisconsin is right next to me.

IRescue452
11-28-2005, 12:19 PM
What's worse is he left the body lay there. He didn't take it in to be checked and he didn't bother looking at the collar. if he legitimately thought it had rabies he shouldn't have left the body lay.

dab_20
11-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Exactly, doesn't sound like a responsible police officer to me...

lv4dogs
11-28-2005, 12:28 PM
That's really sad. Howling and acting hurt doesn't mean the beagle has rabies!! I don't know whats up with that police officer. He should feel bad about it!! Maybe the dog was hurt.... it's just riduculous what he did.

The dog was chasing a squirrel, not a deer. I don't think it is illegal there... Wisconsin is right next to me.

Well it did say that the dog MAY have been chasing deer for the past 2 days. I thought it said that the dog was chasing deer for the past 2 days.

dab_20
11-28-2005, 12:43 PM
ohh :confused: i dunno, i didn't see it, hmmm let me check...

dab_20
11-28-2005, 12:44 PM
ohhh, lol, it did say that. :) sorry

sabies
11-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Obviously I wasn't there but I doubt this dog really looked like it had rabies. Howling doesn't sound threatening to me and beagles aren't big or scary looking. The dog had a collar and tags so he knew it was owned. In every town I've lived you cannot get a tag without a current rabies shot though I realize he couldn't tell what the tag said.

I think IRescue452 has the best point, if the officer really suspected rabies the body should not have been left there for other animals to eat and spread the disease. This officer may be sorry but he deserves strong discipline. How many dogs need to be shot before officers are better trained?