PDA

View Full Version : Ford Escape - Hyundai Santa Fe/Tuscson - Honda CR/V

elizabethann
11-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Does anybody own one of the SUV's mentioned in the title? I think the Honda is called a CR/V (not 100% sure). Anyhow, I'm thinking of getting one of the mentioned SUV's and would like your opinion if you own one (or anyother for that matter). I'd like a 4-wheel drive. It snowed on Thanksgiving and my Focus just stinks in the snow. I was stuck & skidding all over the road. I really love my Focus but not in the snow. I need a 4 wheel drive.

If anybody has any opinions, please post them. Thank you in advance.

:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I am on my second Santa Fe and I absolutely LOVE it!! (Sold the first one at 120000Kms - not because anythign was wrong with it - I just had an opportunity to get a new one.

The handling is great, as is the speed (especially the 3.5 liter, although the 2.7 is no slouch either). The interior is solidly put-together - I have no rattles or problems at all, and the leg room in the back seats and the loading room is awesome!

dukedogsmom
11-27-2005, 05:20 PM
I bought an Escape back in July and love it! It's just the right size. I average 17.7 miles per gallon. That's combined city/highway driving. They are also a reasonable price(unless you want the hybrid). That brings up the price almost $10,000. Good luck with your decision. I was also thinking of a Highlander but Ford gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.

elizabethann
11-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Thanks for your thoughts everbody. Does your Escape take regular gas or premium?

What about the Santa Fe, Ally Cat's Mom? Do you know how many mpg it gets?

Thanks again.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks for your thoughts everbody. Does your Escape take regular gas or premium?

What about the Santa Fe, Ally Cat's Mom? Do you know how many mpg it gets?

Thanks again.

I wouldn't use MY mileage as a benchmark - I drive like a maniac - very hard on the gas and brake, usually doing around 50% over the speed limit, and always with the aircon running full blast. (Everyone here drives like that on the freeways). I get around 13 MPG - but there are other owners who easily average well over 20 / 22 - they obviously have a much more sensible driving style, and are driving with fuel economy in mind.

I belong to the Santa Fe Forum (http://p211.ezboard.com/bhyundaisantafemessageboard) - you can post questions too - they are generally a friennly bunch (although definately Santy fanatics LOL)

ALso, in your first post you mentioned the Tuscon - I like them too, but I didn't feel the slight cost saving was worth losing so much interior space - also the driving position feels more " car-like" whilst in the Santy you are up nice and high, with excellent visibility.

Karen
11-28-2005, 07:33 AM
We got our Honda CRV for specifically the reason you mentioned - 4-wheel drive and handling in the snow. Bought it in January of 2003, and it has performed fabulously well uphil and downhill on on corners in the snow. It drives like a car, not a truck, has a very smooth ride, and is basically great! They also have an excellent reputation for longevity, which is good, as I do not like to shop for a new vehicle every few years.

dukedogsmom
11-28-2005, 08:29 AM
It takes regular. All I've been putting in it is the 87. One thing you might want to consider is how easy it would be to flip one. Apparently, mine has a high risk and even has a warning on the visor. I don't know about the others.

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-28-2005, 08:46 AM
It takes regular. All I've been putting in it is the 87. One thing you might want to consider is how easy it would be to flip one. Apparently, mine has a high risk and even has a warning on the visor. I don't know about the others.

Not sure re flipping - although I have never heard of a Santy in a rollover crash, but I do know that it scored VERY well on the crash-testing - maybe you should look into the crash-tests also to help make your final decision.

It's SOOOOO exciting buying a new car - but so confusing too! :)

catland
11-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I like my "cute-'ute". I have a 2004 Subaru Forrester - turbo. Its the "performance" SUV - 0 to 60 in under 6 seconds :eek:

But it is also the safest in its class - and doesn't even have a roll-over warning because it doesn't sit as high as some of the others.

What appealed to me about the Subaru is that they they consider safety to be standard features - (side impact air bags, that sort of thing), whereas you sometimes have to pay extra for that in other cars like the Ford Escapes.

Its all-wheel drive, and while we don't get much snow here, it is quite capable to handle the snow that we do get.

Have fun shopping - one thing I did was to read a lot of reviews on the internet to help narrow down my choices.

manda_moo87
11-28-2005, 12:35 PM
We own a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe and we LOVE it! We've had no problems what so ever with it, its a fantastic car. Highly reccommend it!

pnance
11-28-2005, 06:12 PM
I just bought (2 weeks ago) a Honda CRV and just went through all the research on some of the ones you listed. The Santa Fe has the worst gas mileage out of the ones you mentioned since it comes standard with a 6 cylinder engine so I ruled that out initially and can't really say much there. The Escape, Tuscon and CRV are all close (excluding the Escape Hybrid and 6 cylinder escape) at 23 city: 29 hwy. I don't know your price range but I can tell you of the group the tuscon is the least expensive at base price and has the best warrenty (hyndai is 10 yr/100,000 miles standard). Add on's change pricing on all of them and depending on what you want may make the 3 of them comparable price wise. When I checked consumer guide on all 3, the escape and CRV both get 10 out of 10, Tuscon gets a 6. The Honda CRV EX version comes standard w/a 4 wheel drive, automatic, moonroof, 6 disk changer, cruise, power everything, reclining back passenger seats, and privacy glass in the back.. They have another version, the LX that is less expensive but you'd have to add the 4 wheel drive. For me after adding everthing on it was just cheaper to go with the EX where its standard. The CRV and Escape get the better safety rating, but the tuscon isn't bad and has the better warrenty, so I think between them it just comes down to preference. I haven't had the chance to test out the 4 wheel drive so unfortunately can't really say if it's good or bad on the CRV. I spent about 3 months researching this before I actually bought my SUV so let me know if there's anything else that might help.