PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera's...

anna_66
03-31-2002, 06:14 PM
I see that some of you have digital camera's. I'm really wanting to get one, just don't know which one is best. I want to have really nice looking picutres like the ones on here! Could anyone give me some advice please???? I'd love to be able to take a picture of Angus & Roxey when they are doing something cute and noone else is around to see, and show you all. Thanks!

tatsxxx11
04-01-2002, 05:03 AM
Hi Anna, if you are like me, the idea of which digital camera to buy, and how to use it, is overwhelming! This is a link to a great website that not only describes and compares all the features of dozens of dig. cameras, it even has a "comparometer" that allows you to see side by side, the same image as reproduced by any two cameras at one time. You can compare a portrait shot, landscape, indoors with flash, outdoors, etc. There is another link I'll dig up that is a tutorial of sorts that explains how a digital camera works, and how to use it! Hope this helps. Sandra

http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM

www.shortcourses.com

Randi
04-01-2002, 05:55 AM
It's probably a good idea to check the market thouroghly and find out exactly what you need. Some of them may have extra features you don't really want - and therefore more expensive.
We've got a Nikon coolpix 950 and are very content with it. They've made some really small ones which fit into a pocket, but you decide what's important for you! ;)

Former User
04-01-2002, 07:20 AM
we have Sony Mavica-FD81, it's not the smallest camera, but good enough for us. It's about 3 years old, works with floppy disks, very easy to use! (Must be since me, da blond, can use it!!!):rolleyes: ;)

anna_66
04-01-2002, 08:03 AM
I just wanted to thank you all for the info & the links, hopefully soon we will get one, just need to find the right one for us!

Stenograsaurus
04-01-2002, 11:38 AM
I have a Fujifilm A101 Fine Pix 1.3 Megapixels. It cost $200.00. I believe Kay Ann (Simba's mommy) has the same one.

Paul
04-01-2002, 11:58 AM
   New digital camera models are appearing all the time. It's very hard to find good info.

Resolution
   I don't think anyone should buy a camera today with less than 1 megapixel of resolution. Ideally at least 2 megapixels. The higher the better.

The connection
   USB is good and very easy to setup. Firewire is better. Some even are wireless. I would avoid a general serial port connection.

Batteries
   A camera that takes ordinary AA batteries instead of expensive specialty batteries is great.

Media
   A camera with a very small (smaller than floppy) removable media like SmartMedia is great. Usually it's much cheaper to buy the media separately.

Zoom
   An optical zoom is helpful. I would not pay extra for a digital zoom.

LCD monitor
   Even a bad lcd monitor can be good enough. It is priceless to immediately know if the picture looks anything like you thought it should be.

Compression
   Ideally, you should get a camera that not only saves compressed images (ie. jpeg) but also saves in an uncompressed format like tiff.

More
   Many cameras record moving video and/or sound. Some will playback MP3s.

Our old little FujiFilm camera has survived trips to Europe and Asia.

Paul

Paul
04-01-2002, 12:08 PM
   Recycle time

One feature that you should know about is the time it takes for the camera to actually process the photo. Some cameras take a long time before you can take a second photo. Our old FujiFilm will take mutiple images when you press the button but only in a lower resolution mode. Unless you have a very good camera you can not quickly take mutliple high-res action shots.

Paul

aly
04-01-2002, 12:52 PM
Paul - thats a good idea to bring up the recycle time. Thats one thing I HATE about using a digital cam.

I have the Fuji FinePix 2300. Its pretty decent but I am wishing I had a more advanced one.

Former User
04-01-2002, 12:55 PM
Paul, that's the one thing I hate in this camera we have, it takes about 5 seconds to process before I'm able to take a next pic and sometimes, the moment has gone by the time the camera is ready again.... Yeah, okay, 5 seconds may not sound so much, but sometimes, it is, believe me :D

Logan
04-01-2002, 01:30 PM
Those tips are great, Paul! One day, when I'm ready, I'm going to pull those out of my Pet Talk file folder so I'll have them handy. :)

sammi
04-01-2002, 03:18 PM
Thank you Thank you! I needed that information as I want to buy a camera within the next week!

What do we look for for memory? I want one that I can take lots of pictures b/4 I put them on the computer.

Thanks Anna for bringing this up and thanks to all who responded. I checked on a camera like KayAnn has and it was on sale very reasonable but I was told that it didn't have a big memory or able to shot moving pictures (and that I want also) What do you look for in a flash?:confused: :confused:

Ila
04-01-2002, 03:48 PM
We have Panasonic Super Disk 120 MB 1.3 Mega Pixel camera. We love how are pictures turn out. We got it last summer just before vacation & if we would have known how good the pictures turned out we would have taken more with it than with regular camera. That is the only digital we ever had so to compare them I could'nt but I know this one is great. Good luck shopping for one. :)

anna_66
04-01-2002, 07:48 PM
So much info Paul. I really appreciate you taking the time out to let me know so much, just what I was looking for!

10-27-2002, 08:59 PM
BINGO !!!

Today we finally bought our digital camera !!!
Aw , is that a tiny winny little thingie !! It will take me a while before I will be able to work with that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It is a FIJI finepix A303
It has 3.24 megapixels
2.048 x1?536 recorded pixels

Zoom : 3x optical , 3.2x digital
1.5"" LCD monitor
Movie (without sound)
Internet conferencing
USB universal serial bus

Thay's it ! Sounds like Latin to me ; but I will learn !!

anna_66
10-27-2002, 09:35 PM
Congrats Lut! I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time!

Now...we'll be waiting patiently for some new pics!

Kfamr
10-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Fuji Film is definatly the way to go.