PDA

View Full Version : Greyhounds

Tigeress
03-31-2002, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to know if there were any Greyhound lovers out there in Animal Rescue Land?

I rescued a 5 year old black and white Greyhound named Baley. He is just the greatest! If anyone is concidering adopting a dog try life in the fast lane and get a Greyhound!

tatsxxx11
03-31-2002, 05:20 PM
Welcome Tigeress!! And Happy Easter to you and Baley!! I do not have a Greyhound in my clan, but have often wished I did!! I help out at my friend's boarding kennel, and have come to know and love SO many rescued Greyhounds. They are such beautiful, loving creatures! Each one trys to be a lap dog!:) How loving and gentle, just like baby fawns!! A very special Pet Talk family member was Mom to the most beautiful Greyhound. Her name was Shaianne. Sadly, she passed to the Rainbow Bridge just a short time ago. I hope she sees your post. I know she would love to tell you about her! I hope you stick around and share your "tails" with us all! It is a wonderful place for a doggie lover! My name is Sandra. I have 2 dogs, Star, a yellow Lab, and Cody, a Husky/Shep as well as 2 kitties and a guinea pig! Again, Welcome Tigeress and Baley!!

LoudLou
03-31-2002, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the board. Looking forward to seeing pictures andd reading all about Baley. My name is Katie and I am Mom to one LOUD corgi, Louie and to 2 Meezer kitties. I've only know 1 Greyhound in my life. I met him about 10yrs. ago His name was Jackson and he was the most loving, big, beautiful boy I'd ever seen. I've never forgotten him.:)

Tigeress
03-31-2002, 07:55 PM
It is so wonderful to get a warm reception from you all. I just got back from dinner and came home to Baley snuggled up on the bed (the only place in the house he is not allowed!).

I shall be sharing stories as long as people read them. Right now simply enjoy Baley's web page!

http://members.tripod.com/~Balme/Baley.html

Cheers,
Tigeress

Angels3
03-31-2002, 08:31 PM
Hi & welcome. Our neighbour rescued a lovely greyhound called Boofy whose feet were not strong enough for racing. So Boofy became a pet. I'd never met a greyhound as a pet before...but within days, Boofy was much loved by all in the neighbourhood. He had the loveliest soft, brown eyes & was so sweet & affectionate. Sadly, when he was being desexed, he died from the anaesthetic. We all missed him terribly. His owner was shattered.
But he will be getting another greyhound from the Greyhound Rescue .

Greyhounds make wonderful pets...there are a couple who are live-in therapy dogs in homes for aged people. They are so gentle & the elderly people don't have to bend down to them because they're nice & tall.

In Australian slang, a greyhound is called a 'Dishlicker'...so if any Aussie says they own a 'Dishlicker', it means they own a greyhound.
Marie:)

anna_66
04-01-2002, 07:56 AM
I went to your website, the pictures are darling!:D I always thought it would be great to have a greyhound, they seem like such loving animals. I've never seen one in person, but I'm sure I'd love em'! My dogs are a little bigger than a greyhound! I'm Anna & I have a Rottie-Angus & a Sib-Roxey!

shais_mom
04-03-2002, 02:37 AM
Here I am with Tears in my eyes! :)
Welcome Tigress!
My name is Staci and my first dog that I rescued 2 years ago was a greyhound from a local humane society. So she probably didn't have the history that yours does. She never raced on a track that I know of, she was found at a local coondog trials running around loose as is the case every year after the "festitvities" are over. :( They usually average about 50-75 dogs after the trials are over.
My Shaianne was fawn, you can check my webshots address and see some of her pictures. And some pictures of my new golden retriever puppy Keegan Grace. And my kitty Kylie. :) Her AKC name is Sweet Shaianne's Grace named after her mommy, big sister, and my grandma who loved Shaianne and loves Keegan.
She was my beautiful baby girl and made me into the animal lover I am now.
She started having seizures (grand mal) about a year ago. After she had a "wart" removed from her leg, I figured it was aftereffects of the anesethia, but she had another one 2 weeks later. The vet put her on phenobarb b/c we thought she was epileptic. The seizures stopped. Then Sept 13, 2001 she woke me up at 6am having a massive grand mal seizure, lost control of her bowels and bladder and started bleeding out. With in an hour and a half she was gone. My heart broke, and breaks every day for her. In about 2 weeks from that day I would have had her for 2 years. I miss her everyday. I visit her grave almost every time I go to my parents and talk to her and I know she is watching over me. There are little signs.
We had a major windstorm a few weeks ago, possible tornado, trailers and buildings were flipped over. My beloved Shaianne's cross still had her bandana tied to it that I tied to it in Sept, thinking it would blow away with in a week or so.
When Keegan was about 8 weeks old I took her to my parents to "meet her big sister" and she ran up to the grave and plopped down and put her head on her paws like for just an instant she was listening to something. She has done that at least twice since then.
She was my heart and soul, and I miss her everyday, I know someday I will see her again.
You can check the geocities site in my sig also, its a beautiful website that one of our other special, wonderful members Aly, made for me in memory of Shaianne.
I can't wait to hear greyhound stories!

shais_mom
04-03-2002, 02:43 AM
Loved the website, Baley looks wonderful in the fuzzy coat!
Baley is gorgeous!!
Tell us more!

Tigeress
04-03-2002, 06:58 AM
Angles3- I'm sorry about your friends young greyhound. It is not so well known but greyhounds can not be put under regular anaesthetics, they will die everytime. It has to do with the fact that their bodies are so low in body fat (anaesthetics work by going into the body fat and then slowly dispersing to the blood). So whenever you take a greyhound to the vet make sure they know about it! Greyhounds need to be put on a special drip anaesthetic, not isofluorine gas.

As for therapy Baley and I regularly go to a Nursing Home for Alzhimers and walk around. He loves the attention so much and a lot of people remember their pets if nothing else.

I didn't know about the Dishlicker! I love it!

Anna-66 - Greyhounds do make graet pets! I love Rotties, but I don't have the lifestyle to have one, same with Sibs. But I've worked with many of them and they are great!!

Shais Mom- It is always hard to have a pet go over the Rainbow Bridge. I fostered a kitten (DeeDee) that had been left in our overnight box at the Wildlife Center in a plastic bag. She was underweight, had mange, a resiptory infection, and an eye infection. So I brought her into my home (along with a slew of other rescued animals I was caring for) and started her on the long trail back to health. To make a long story short just as she was getting better she had a seziure and I euthanized her. It was so hard beause she'd come into my life unexspectedly and she worked so hard for me to get better.

And I know they stay with us. At night sometimes I can swear that I feel her light little body jump up on the bed. But when I look no one is there.

For pictures of little DeeDee:
http://members.tripod.com/Balme/Company.html

Baley is staring at me right now saying stop writing about that damn cat and talk about me! He is so affraid of cats! It is so funny, he is 75 pounds and a little over three feet tall, but any little kitten can send him running! My friends 4 pound kitten once wrapped around his back leg and started kicking and bitting and Baley just stood there with a look of horror in his eyes! What a sissy.

I'll talk to you all later!

Cheers,
Tigeress

Logan
04-03-2002, 07:04 AM
Your Baley is a beautiful Greyhound, Tigeress. I enjoyed seeing her all dressed up at your website!! :)

I'm Logan and I have two Golden Retrievers, Honey and Lilly. But one of our favorite things to do is go to adoption day at Petsmart when the Greyhounds are there! What lovely, graceful creatures they are.

Staci, your memories of Shai brought tears to my eyes this morning. I still miss her too, just knowing how much you loved her. :( I know that one day, Keegan will bring you that much joy, but never replace your Shaianne.

Sudilar
04-03-2002, 08:06 AM
Welcome, Tigress! You pup is precious!!

Staci, I shed a tear for your sweet Shai. She was part of our little family here and I miss her, too.

Tigeress
04-03-2002, 09:08 AM
To all,
I have never found a web forum with such wonderful people! Everyone was so quick to welcome me and you show such compasion in sharing one another's grief and joys.

I was once part of a Starling forum and someone asked me if they should release their Starling into the wild. Well of course I told them that it was just as cruel to release a tame bird as to leave a dog in the middle of the forest. I also mentioned that Starlings were not native and are illegal to released anyway.

Well! My e-mail turned into a River of Flame!!! I was so violently attacked by the other members (most of whom probably felt guilty for having raised tame birds and releasing them) that I never felt comfortable to return.

I have the feeling that something like that wouldn' t happen here.

Cheers,
T

PS- Thank you all for the kind words about my little Grey. He really is a great dog!

tatsxxx11
04-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Baley is so beautiful! What a sweet, gentle, loving face:) One of our local vets is involved in Greyhound rescue. Yesterday while I was there her newest addition, "Buttons" was comfortably snuggled on a blanket right in the front office! She looked exactly like Baley!

I'm sorry for your bad experience on the Starling board. Sometimes peoples passions do get sparked when speaking of such emotional issues, like animal care and love! Here, though sometimes the embers may smolder, we choose to douse the heat with kindness, advice and support, instead of fanning the flames. The people here truly are special! Hope you stick around. I think you have a lot of knowledge, and animal love to share! Love to Baley! Sandra

Sudilar
04-03-2002, 11:18 AM
Sandra is so right! Sometimes there are disagreements here, but they usually get worked through. In the end, we are all here because we love our furbabies. That love shines above all else! Again, welcome! You'll love it here!

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

kobieeli
04-03-2002, 11:44 AM
Hi and welcome, Tigress!

Your Baley is a beautiful, sleek boy--and doesn't look anything near 75 lbs.! (I had no idea Greyhounds get that big.) The more I learn about the breed, the more fascinated I am. I'd love to have one someday, but I keep thinking they're too fragile; I'd be paranoid about its breaking a leg during playtime or whatever! Probably totally untrue, but still...

We've got two very UNfragile dogs here, Kobie (a Husky/Cattle Dog mix) and Eli (an Aussie Shepherd). No more dogs in our household for awhile!

:D

wolflady
04-03-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Logan

Staci, your memories of Shai brought tears to my eyes this morning. I still miss her too, just knowing how much you loved her. :( I know that one day, Keegan will bring you that much joy, but never replace your Shaianne.

I was just thinking the same thing after reading your post, Staci. What a precious dog Shai was and I know she will always be with you. The part about Keegan visiting the grave gave me chills. I think Big Sis must have been talking to little sis:D

Hi Tigeress, and Welcome to Pet Talk! No doubt you will get addicted just like the rest of us. Your Baley is absolutely gorgeous!! I've been contemplating getting a dog for a long time now, and I have been thinking a lot about a rescued greyhound!! They such sweet and gentle dogs, and everytime I see one, my heart melts.
Give him a huge hug for me! The pics were great!!!

jennifert
04-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Baley is beautiful! Greyhounds are such graceful dogs! I see a few at the dog park I go to in the spring and summer. It's surprising how BIG they are in person, very tall! A friend of mine has 3 rescued ones and she is very active in the local group. I thought about getting one before I adopted Duncan but one trip to the SPCA and I was head over heels for my BBD(big, black dog!:) )

Welcome to Pet Talk! You will love it here. My name is Jennifer (obviously) :D and I have Duncan, a mix adopted from the local shelter in July 2001 at 6 months old. The other dog in the pic is my roommate's golden/lab Jack who is an absolute sweetie too.!:D

Tigeress
04-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Tats- I can handle disagrements, I just don't feel that personal attacks are needed. Oh well. I think I will be hanging around this forum for a while. I've been working with animals of all kinds for over ten years now so I've learnt a thing or two. In a year or so (I need a break from school before I go back!) I'll be applying to Vet School so hopefully I can be Dr. Tigeress. Heehee

Kobi- Greyhound are far from fraile! Trust me Baley can play with the best of them. Their legs look so thin because there is actualy very little muscle in the lower section (it is all in the upper leg and hip) so what you see is mainly bone, which is just as thick as any other dog their size. However he really isn't into rough housing. They are discouraged from playing at the track so that they don't play when they should be racing so he really doesn't understand 'play'. He is just starting to learn tug a war with the rope, but it really isn't in the Greyhound nature. And FORGET fetch. You throw something and he just looks at you like "Why did you do that?"

Baley is unusualy large for a greyhound. They average 45-60 pounds, but I've seen them at 90! And not because of fat (muscle also wieghs more than fat and since they have a very low % of body fat it can make them look lighter)! When Baley puts his paws on my shoulders he is almost six feet high. Which is why he was a 5 year champion. Greyhounds can only legally race for five years, but few ever make it that long.

You see if a Greyhound fails to place, win or show in three races in a row then he is bumped down a class (there are several 'classes' of Grey so that you don't get uneven races). If they are already in the lowest class they are 'out'. Some of these 'out' dogs get homes, most are euthanized.

Baley not only ran for his full five years he was also bred to a top female. Again few Greys are bred because it is a bussiness and people only want the best in the breeding stock. This is why Greyhounds have very few genetic diseases such as hip and bladder problems that are prevelent in highly bred dogs like Lab, Dalmations, and Shepards.

Wolflady- If you are into the strong silent type then I suggest you follow your instinct and get a Grey! Here are a few tips - get an older dog, 4 to 5, they are calmer and harder for the rescue people to place. I got Baley when he was just turning 6. Also concider a black coloured greyhound. I say this because they are also very hard for people to place because people like the look of the other colours better.

If you have stairs you will have to teach your Grey to climb them, for the most part they have never seen stairs. I had to carry Baley up any stairs we came to for three months before he learnt to do it himself. Also many Greys like to have a kennel crate to sleep in. They spend 21 hours a day in crates and it is all they know. Baley hates it when we take him on trips and he doesn't have his crate to sleep in.

When I went to the rescue people I said bring me your hardest to place dog. The woman said that that would be a large, old, black male. I thought that was perfect, I like my men tall, dark, and hansome! Heehee.

Jenni- Ah! There is nothing like a Mutt!! If I didn't live so close to the track I'm sure I would have endded up with a mutt. I'll give Baley a squeez for ya! As for your friend with three, Greyhound are like potato chips -it is hard to have just one! I simply don't have room for another right now, but the moment I do....

lizbud
04-03-2002, 06:25 PM
Tigeress,

Welcome to Pet Talk. Your posts have been interesting
and informative. I have a 9 yr old Shep/Husky mix and
assorted kitties(4 Inside/3 Outside). Dog Buddy was
adopted from the local HS, and the cats were rescued
& adopted from my neighborhood. Hope you hang around.
Think you'll like this forum. Liz & Buddy.

P.S. Pictures of the furkids at;

http://community.webshots.com/user/lizbud4

Angels3
04-03-2002, 06:38 PM
"Angles3- I'm sorry about your friends young greyhound. It is not so well known but greyhounds can not be put under regular anaesthetics..."

Tigeress, thanks for this information. Our friend's blamed himself ever since that he didn't take Boofy to one of the vets who specialize in treating greyhounds. We keep trying to reassure him that none of us, including him, were aware of the problems of anaesthesia & greyhounds.

I'm glad you like the word 'Dishlicker' which is our slang word for greyhound.

One of the homes for the elderly here have a greyhound which the old folk own collectively & which still races. On race nights, the elderly people pile into a bus & go watch their dog race. The people who run the greyhound racing always put the races with the nursing home dog in it, at the beginning of the schedule of races for the night. That's so the old folk can see their dog race & then get back to their home early.

An Australian film has just been made based on this idea...& it's been a great hit here. Everybody loves the star...a greyhound, of course. And I think the name of the movie might be...you guessed it!...'Dishlicker'.
Marie :)

shais_mom
04-04-2002, 12:28 AM
Shaianne was about 21-24 inches tall. I am 5ft4in and when she stood beside me I could rest my hand on her back. She weighed 79 lbs a month before she died. She was a big girl!
Shai had none of the "fears" of stairs and mirrors, she was adopted out before I got her but the lady didn't have time for her and brought her back. She didn't know how to play, we had to work on that, she was a snuggle bug!
Keegan is only 6 1/2 months old and about 60 lbs and is by far stronger than her sister was!
I hope when Keegan visits her sister Shai is telling her to be patient with me, cuz Mom will get the hang of it eventually!
2 days after Shaianne died I was at the fair and the local Humane Soc had a booth in the same building I was at and I saw them bringing in a dog and my heart stopped. It was a small red fawn female. She was about half the size of Shaianne. Probably only 40-50 pounds. I went and petted her the poor thing was scared to death and just looked like she had been beaten up by other doggies. I wanted to take her away and spoil her rotten, but I couldn't bring myself to it b/c it was too soon and she was too much like Shaianne, I felt I would be replacing her and I can never do that.
They are a wonderful breed and I would recommend anyone who wants a snuggle bug to get one!
We have a member who hasn't posted since around Christmas, her name is Jessica and her sign in name is 3-greys-and-a-mutt. She has 2 female greys, 1 male and 1 female mutt. She made the most awesome Christmas cards that had reindeer antlers on the greys and Pup the mutt was Rudolph! They were great!

Yes this board is a very special place, we all love each other. This is our PetTalk Family, and we welcome you and Baley and your other furkidz to it.
If you have aol instant messenger, my signin name is Xradeu, alot of us have it

Tigeress
04-04-2002, 03:12 PM
Shais-mom -Shaianne sounds so special. I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. It is always hard to get a new pet after one passes on because of the thought of 'replacement'. But don't think of it as replacing the lost pet, think of it as saving another life in place of the one that you have lost.

There is no greater feeling than that of saving a life. I'd take them all under my wing if I could!

Thank you for trusting me with your aol instant messanger name, but I'm not an aoler anymore. I had this problem, everytime I went to get on-line to do research I would end up instant messaging for hours and hours instead!! So I had to go Cold Turkey. Heehee!

Cheers,
Tigeress

wolflady
04-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Tigeress ...
Wolflady- If you are into the strong silent type then I suggest you follow your instinct and get a Grey! Here are a few tips - get an older dog, 4 to 5, they are calmer and harder for the rescue people to place. I got Baley when he was just turning 6. Also concider a black coloured greyhound. I say this because they are also very hard for people to place because people like the look of the other colours better.

If you have stairs you will have to teach your Grey to climb them, for the most part they have never seen stairs. I had to carry Baley up any stairs we came to for three months before he learnt to do it himself. Also many Greys like to have a kennel crate to sleep in. They spend 21 hours a day in crates and it is all they know. Baley hates it when we take him on trips and he doesn't have his crate to sleep in.

When I went to the rescue people I said bring me your hardest to place dog. The woman said that that would be a large, old, black male. I thought that was perfect, I like my men tall, dark, and hansome! Heehee...

Awwww...you're getting my cravings churning! LOL I bought 2 really good books on greyhound adoption quite awhile back, and have read them through a couple of times already! I guess when I feel I have enough time to spend with a dog, I'll definitely be ready!! At least in the knowledge department! LOL LOL

I was really excited to see that there was a greyhound adoption place literally just down the road from where I live! I actually called there when I first moved into my house to see if there was any volunteer stuff I could do, so I could just see what it was like to be around a greyhound. At first the lady told me there was a bunch of fun stuff I could do, and that she would call me back and give me details about an open house I could attend, but she never did. So, I called her back and she was actually a little rude to me and said she had been sick and then was going on a trip. Sorry! How was I supposed to know that. I haven't heard anything since, so I was a little discouraged at the whole adoption agency thing. I guess I had the misconception that these non-profit places would appreciate free help. I guess I was wrong:( But, that won't stop me from going to a different organization should I choose to adopt a greyhound later! It's not the dog's fault this lady wasn't very nice and turned me off from her organization!:rolleyes:

Tigeress
04-05-2002, 10:38 PM
I've had trouble with some non-profs before as well. One wildlife center in Indiana that I went to help at the main lady was so nasty, I told her I had ten years in the field but she practicaly refused my help.

Oh, well you can't help people who won't help themselves.

But your right you must never give up on the dogs just because of evil masters!

This post is coming to you from Nashville, Ten!! I'm visiting a friend in Law School.

Cheers,
T

shais_mom
04-06-2002, 12:35 AM
Karen, no don't be discouraged, you may find another rescue group to help with. The guy that runs our Humane Soc is a total nutball in every sense of the word and I was so scared to go and get a dog from there but I did and the rest as they say is history.
(The guy is such a nutball I was afraid when Shai passed that they would want her body back, and I was gonna throw 3 shades of a fit, b/c she was in her final resting place and was not moving.
But they didn't make me)
Tigeress, sorry to hear about the aol I totally understand! Totally! Its cool tho!