PDA

View Full Version : Too much technology!

.powerful
11-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I was doing some Christmas shopping today and I could not find ANYTHING I wanted. Whatever happened to "old fashioned" things. I looked all over the mall and there were absolutely no coloring books. :eek: I used to love to color and a coloring book is such a perfect gift for the child I was getting the gift for. There is way to my technology out now. Everywhere I looked there was nonsense things like those furbies or those ridiculous looking dolls that talk. Whatever happened to the fun little things that were cheap but occupied your time for hours on end? I ended up only buying one small little gift today. I just don't have the money to spend on toys that will be forgotten in one month. :o

*sigh* I'm so frustrated with xmas shopping.

Karen
11-26-2005, 08:54 PM
You have to shop elsewhere than the mall for some of these things. Believe it or not, crafts chain stores like Michael's and A.C. Moore have lots of things like coloring books and other low-tech stuff like clay that kids (and adults) can enjoy. Try there!

Lady's Human
11-26-2005, 09:04 PM
I have to agree with the mayor. When shopping for my children, I find myself in AC Moore and a couple of local craft stores more and more. Sam's Club in their book section tends to have coloring books and learning books, as does Wal Mart.

Jessika
11-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Walmart has a section dedicated to JUST coloring books. :)

catnapper
11-26-2005, 09:09 PM
I hear ya! Gosh, I would get lost for HOURS with a box of crayons. To this day, I LOVE the smell of crayolas. I tried to get my nephew to sit with me and color the last time I saw him, and he's not interested in anything that does't light up, beep, or do something interesting.

smokey the elder
11-27-2005, 08:40 AM
I won't buy my grand niece anything electronic. I want to encourage her to use her head and hands, not be a passive spectator in her growing up.

christa
11-27-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only adult that loves to color! My husband laughs at me all the time for spending hours on a coloring book! But what else is there to do when you're sick . . . or just bored?

.sarah
11-27-2005, 06:25 PM
I hate and love technology. :eek:

RICHARD
11-28-2005, 11:17 AM
:eek: When shopping for my nieces and nephews I would find the old fashioned pencil boxes and fill them with pencils, crayons, story books and stuff like that...My mom would get ticked off at me....She worked for years in a toy store and knew the latest fad toys...the grandkids always got that crap. :rolleyes:

Now that the kids are alot older she teases me and asks if I am giving out crayolas....

Ya never know! :eek:

Cataholic
11-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I just tossed out this catalog that featured the toys of yesteryear (aka, when we were kids...he he he). I tossed it not because I didn't like the toys, I did! But, Jones is too little for most of that still. He eats crayons, rather than draw with them.

One of my 'goals' as a mommy is to incorporate that sort of toy playing into my son's life. With Jonah's Grammy in full support (and secondary caregiver) it should work well.

I must confess though....Baby Einstein videos are a HUGE hit with him right now. HUGE.

finn's mom
11-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Specialty toy stores always have really unique, thought provoking, fun toys for kids of all ages. They're not always the cheapest, but, i think they're worth it. I got spoiled with the European toy stores I'd go into, so, the little specialty stores always end up with my business. Now, with coloring books, I get those from many places, and, I still love to color in them, too! :) AC Moore is a good place, too, as was already said. :)

Cubby'sMom
11-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Well I have to admit I like technology like video games and stuff like that, but I don't like those furbies or anything. Once I got one. I thought it would be soooo awesome! :rolleyes: Well I sure was wrong. It kept my sister and I up half the night several times in a row. Finally we shut it in a drawer and it didn't come out for a looooooong time lol. I don't know where it is anymore.... and I hope it stays that way :D