PDA

View Full Version : Camera Questions

Toby's my baby
11-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Ok, I found this camera, and I have never heard of it before, is it any good?

BRAND NEW 2006 MODEL
CDC-12R Digital Camera by SVPTM.
It Takes AMAZING 12 MEGA PIXEL Maximum Resolution Pictures and has a Giant 2 Inch Screen that will Instantly Display Your Photos, or Play-Back Full-Motion Videos with Sound Right On The Camera!
This cameras slim and lightweight body design make it a great camera to take along everywhere you go. It has a multitude of advanced features, and includes many functions usually only seen on more expensive models. From the 2GB Expandable SD Memory card slot that's neatly tucked away on the bottom of the camera and not in the battery compartment like on most digital cameras, to the traditional camera viewfinder that lets you have another option for framing your subjects.

Display your photos on the camera's 2.0 INCH FULL-COLOR Screen, or instantly play back a video with sound right on the cameras 2 Inch LCD screen. You can also download your pictures to your PC for storage or playback, or transfer them to CDs, DVD's or Floppy Discs for printing, storage and playback later on your PC or television screen (all cables included).

Image Sensor Omnivision 3610 1/2" 2048 x 1536 CMOS, 3.1 Effective MP.
Image Resolution 4000 x 3000*,
2048 x 1536,
1600 x 1200,
1024 x 768,
640 x 480.
*Interpolated Resolution

Lens F/3.0, f=8.34mm
Focus Range Normal: 1.2m ~ Infinity;
Macro: 200 ~ 250mm

Digital Zoom 8X
Exposure Auto (Manual: -2.0EV~2.0EV)
White Balance Auto / Sunny / Tungsten / Fluorescent / Cloudy

LCD Display 2.0 inch color TFT LCD (85k pixels)
Flash Auto, Off, Compulsion
Storage Media Built-in 16M Flash Memory
SD/MMC Card Slot Support
Self-Timer 10 sec.
File Format Picture: JPEG
Movie: AVI (Motion JPEG) Sound available
Web Cam 15 - 25 fps (for 640 x 480 pixels)
OS Support PC: Windows 98SE / 2000 / ME / XP
TV out NTSC/PAL
Self-timer 10 seconds with LED indicator
PC Interface USB 1.1
Power 2 x "AA" Alkaline batteries
Dimension
(WxHxD) 90(W) x 59(L) x 19.9(H) mm

Weight About 120g (without battery and SD card)

It has easy to see lighted indicators for BUSY and MACRO mode and one-touch Black/White mode right on the back of the camera. You'll navigate through this cameras full color menus with ease, it combines the use of a DIRECTIONAL pad and a SET button to make entering your selections simple. It even has independent ZOOM and MENU buttons, and a color coded full size mode indicator wheel.
Measuring only 19.9mm thickness, it packs full-size power and will bring you great digital images in outdoor and indoor conditions alike. With an amazing interpolated resolution of 12 Mega Pixels, you'll be able to create larger, color-rich prints more vibrant than traditional photographs. You can even get close-up shots that your family and friends will envy, with an amazing 8x Zoom! After taking the picture, view your photo on the screen even closer with full motion zoom control.

This device can also be used as a Digital Video Camcorder that will record full length videos with sound at 640x480 Resolution. It has a built in microphone on the front of the camera for clear recording of your subject, and a speaker on the back of the camera for immediate playback. It has four functions in all and can also be used as a Web Camera for live video conferencing; and a Digital Voice Recorder for recording messages or notes. It comes backed with a 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty.

Jessika
11-26-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't know, but if its BRAND NEW for 2006 then I would just hold off on getting it until there are more reviews from a personal perspective and the price drops :)

Toby's my baby
11-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Ok, I am going to wait and see what other people say, but actually it is very very very cheap on Ebay, and i know, you shouldnt buy electronics off of ebay, but I cant help myself. I posted it, wondering why it was so cheap, if it was a piece of crap or not. I'll have to do some more searching. . .

Jessika
11-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Well to put it in perspective, the new Canon 12MP EOS 5D camera that just came out retails for around $3300 :)

If they're running it THAT cheap, then that would raise red flags for me. Not only that, but if its REALLY THAT good of a deal or camera then they would have tons of people bidding on it, you know??

And just for the record, MP isn't the only thing that makes a good camera. For example, a 6MP camera isn't necessarily "better" than a 3MP. Its all in features, technique, and knowing your camera

Toby's my baby
11-26-2005, 05:11 PM
yea exactly. Thats why i was so curious, because their arent that many bids of it, so I was just wondering, i havent even heard of that brand. . i'll probably just steer clear. . Thanks Jessika

cloverfdx
11-27-2005, 05:45 AM
Also look at optical zoom and not digital ;). Are you able to post the Ebay link, that would be great thanks.

RedHedd
11-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Are you doing professional photography? I'm curious as to why you would want or even need 12 mp? Also, as has been stated, check the optical zoom; if it doesn't have it, pass on this "opportunity.".

Toby's my baby
11-27-2005, 11:48 AM
No, i am not doing professional photography, just of my pets, and trips we take every year. I like to try and take cool pictures of things, but my 3.2 mp camera has me limited, its a piece of crap IMO. I just saw it, and I thought it wouldnt be bad, to have a 12 mp cam. especially if it was so cheap. :) There are a lot more bids on it now, yesterday it was only $1, but now you can see more people are bidding on it. . it ends today, so all opinions are needed soon!! Here's the link:
Camera (http://cgi.ebay.com/12-MEGA-PIXEL-DIGITAL-CAMERA-with-2-0-LCD-Video-Screen_W0QQitemZ7567110635QQcategoryZ107904QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem)

Cinder & Smoke
11-27-2005, 01:20 PM
:eek:

STAY AWAY from this one!!

There's a big discussion on "SVP Digital" on http://www.cnet.com
look at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7593-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=48393&messageID=574608

NO ONE speaks very kindly about "SVP Digital" cameras!! :(

Problems mentioned:
* Manual doesn't match the camera
* Battery problems
* POOR Tech support
* and Broken Cameras

Stick to a NAME BRAND camera!

"Deals" can be found at mass marketers like WalMart, Best Buy, the
office suppliers (Office Max, Staples, etc) -
watch for their reduced prices on the "Last Year's Model" of popular cameras.

/s/ Phred

Toby's my baby
11-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Thank you SO much, I was almost going to bid on it! I am definently going to stick with some I know. I guess I'll just have to save up my money and get one that I really want. . .aka. a Canon Rebel ;) looks like i'll be saving for a while, but thats ok, at least i'll know what i'm getting! THank you so much!

Kfamr
11-27-2005, 01:25 PM
IMO, there's nothing worth your money other than a Canon. I don't think i'll ever buy a different brand when it comes to digitals.

RedHedd
11-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Another Canon fan. I bought the PowerShot A510 which is Consumer Reports #1 pick. It's a great camera and I'm still learning how to use all the different features. It does video too. There are deals out there to be had this time of year especially. Keep looking.

Jessika
11-27-2005, 05:00 PM
IMO, there's nothing worth your money other than a Canon. I don't think i'll ever buy a different brand when it comes to digitals.

AMEN TO THAT! :D

Konica-Minolta make good digital-SLRs too though. But unless you're into professional photography you're right, you really don't need anything above a 4MP camera or you'd be wasting your money to be honest