PDA

View Full Version : Going to the wolves!

Alysser
11-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I am taking on a new image. I have always LOVED wolves and now to find out poor wolves are dying for NO reason at all in Alaska is breaking my heart. The governor of Alaska is hiring people to shoot female wolves to stop them from reproducing and to "cut" the population. They are also shooting pups and males. I am strongly aginast this and am very upset right now. Also, I have a new avatar and siggy.

Almita
11-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Wow that is sad that wovles are being killed for no reason even killing the pups omgosh that is sad!

Alysser
11-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Sorry, I can't find the articale it was in. I read it about a week ago. I'll see if I can find it through google.com.

Alysser
11-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Found it! A whole entire page on it: http://www.kerwoodwolf.com/STOPAERIALSLAUGHTER.htm

Almita
11-25-2005, 09:56 PM
wow that is so sad

Toby's my baby
11-25-2005, 10:08 PM
OMG, that is horrible!! :(

poofy
11-25-2005, 10:43 PM
That is so horriable..they are terriable, killers ... :mad:

Alysser
11-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I know and he worse part is they're killing pups:(

CountryWolf07
11-26-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry, but that really pisses me off, like you, I have a huge admiration for wolves, and they are my favorite animal. People are just so.. I don't understand them, destroy them, but yet, look at this, we are overpopulating the EARTH, more than the animals. See this, the irony.

jackie
11-26-2005, 12:50 PM
What is the reason for culling the wolves?

Maybe the population is too big for the land to sustain, and they would all face starvation if they didn't shoot them.

Until you know all the facts, don't get upset. There must be a reason for the population control. I would like a link to the article if you can find it please.

areias
11-26-2005, 01:09 PM
It's sad, but don't jump to conclusions. There is probably a motive. Although wolves became nearly extinct here when they allowed people to hunt them...they probably know what they're doing.

And that website is from 2004, I've seen those pictures before.

Glacier
11-26-2005, 02:29 PM
The problem is that the wolves are devasating other animal populations, like moose and caribou. Some of the caribou herds in Alaska are endangered and the wolves kill their babies so the herds can't recover in spite of other measures like hunting bans. Wolves are not endangered in the far North. A pack of over 60 wolves resides within in the City of Whitehorse!

The problem with the Alaskan program is not the wolf hunt in itself. There's always been a wolf hunt up here. Predator control programs are not unique to the North, they happen everywhere; you just don't hear about them! The problem is doing it from the air. That doesn't give the wolves a fair chance.

I am against the aerial hunt, but I don't have a problem with hunting wolves in areas where they are plentiful. Frankly in a fair hunt, the wolves will win. The area I live in has more wolves than there is food for them. I probably have a different opinion of wolves than many of you though. Your feelings change a bit after the wolves come into your yard and try to kill your dogs and when you've sat up all night with a good friend who's dogs were not as lucky as Hobo.

wolflady
11-26-2005, 06:57 PM
I don't agree with aerial hunting either. There has always been a huge prejudice against wolves, which is why the human race practically obliterated their existence in North America by the 1950's. A healthy wolf will not resort to hunting/eating food that is not part of its natural diet...so any wolf that goes after dogs/livestock/etc...must either be ill, starving or plain desperate. I really feel bad about the poor stereotype that wolves have received. They don't take more than they need, and they are more afraid of humans than they are of us. The sad fact is wild ungulates (primarily in North America) are very weak populations, because there are no natural predators to keep these populations healthy. Wolves are needed to maintain the balance of wildlife.

king2005
11-26-2005, 11:26 PM
If the herds populations are at risk, then a few wolves need to be shot & eaten. I went hunting for a bad coyotte last summer. It was killing lambs left right & centre & it wasn't scared of the farm dogs. Thats a bad coyotte. We never found him, but we think the other farmer got him.. We don't go out looking for coyotties to shoot. its only the problems ones & this was the first problem coyotte in 10 years in that whole area.

Just another reason why I agree with hunting the deer up here.. there are just soo many of them, they are starving, getting hit by cars ever where you look & thats just a total waste. The wolves & cougars won't come into the cities, but the deer do.. when you have over 20,000 deer in 1 city, there is a major problem.

Thats why when we go deer hunting, its only near cities with deer over populations & not in the middle of nowhere, where the deer are just fine.

#1Wolflover
12-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I've been strongly aganist this for a while now. I've signed petitions like Boycott Alaska, and recently wrote a letter to the govenor! By a rare chance the letter went through and was reviewed by the staff, I'm hoping the staff will accept it and sind it to the govenor!

Argranade
12-16-2006, 11:45 AM
What a bunch for looders! :mad:

cyber-sibes
12-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Not living in an area overpopulated by wolves, my initial reaction is "That's horrible!", but after reading Glacier's post, I can understand wanting to cull the population back -- 60 wolves nearby? YIKES! With so many people keeping kennels of dogs for sledding, it must be very tempting for the wolves. I don't know what I'd do if I ever came out & found a wolf in our kennel! I know my first concern would be the safety of my dogs, even if it meant killing the wolf.

#1Wolflover
12-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Not living in an area overpopulated by wolves, my initial reaction is "That's horrible!", but after reading Glacier's post, I can understand wanting to cull the population back -- 60 wolves nearby? YIKES! With so many people keeping kennels of dogs for sledding, it must be very tempting for the wolves. I don't know what I'd do if I ever came out & found a wolf in our kennel! I know my first concern would be the safety of my dogs, even if it meant killing the wolf.
well its a proven fact that a healthy wolf has NEVER attacked a person before!!!! Suprised? Well I was when I was younger! But its also proven that a wolf is the most misunderstood animal in the world! :)