PDA

View Full Version : When religion meets cruelty...?

Miss Z
11-25-2005, 02:08 PM
have a look at this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4469814.stm)

I'm not sure what to make of it.

I hate seeing animals slaughtered for the benefit of people, but when it meets with religion, there are so many more arguments in the matter. I suppose that i'm against the ox being killed. I hate to think of animals suffering.

I myself am not really religious. I suppose that i believe in heaven, but i have a lot of objections about religion.

What does everyone else think?

jackie
11-25-2005, 03:03 PM
They are not killing the cow a religious ceremony, I think they just want something to eat when they open the new diocese.

"This is not a traditional ceremony, this is a celebration because we are inaugurating our new diocese," he said. "The idea is to have more meat for refreshments."

As long as the cow is killed humanely, I see no problem with it.

IRescue452
11-27-2005, 10:11 PM
The bar across the street from me has a pig roast every year. I don't see any spca monitoring that. I'm not for slaughtering animals, but millions of cows and pigs ext go every year. Why would they harrass this one church?

.sarah
11-27-2005, 10:32 PM
I remember talking to one of my doctors about being vegetarian. She was telling me how she was vegetarian for 10 years and then visited Africa and they had a ceremony where they killed an animal for religion. She ate the meat and then continued after she returned to the US "because it was so good" :rolleyes:

Ok, sorry, just had to mention.

But, regarding this, like IRescue said, it's kind of stupid to target this one little church when there are bigger problems (factory farms) in killing animals for meat. Maybe they need to get their priorities straight.

KYS
11-28-2005, 06:10 PM
jackie:They are not killing the cow a religious ceremony, I think they just want something to eat when they open the new diocese.
As long as the cow is killed humanely, I see no problem with it.>>>>

I agree with Jackie above.
I have respect for the SPCA, but am wondering if there is
more to this story?

Addie
11-28-2005, 07:10 PM
i don't believe in god, or religion at all, so i guess it's just to me a way of slaughtering...which is still stupid and pointless...

RICHARD
11-28-2005, 07:27 PM
I put the town's name into mapquest out of curiosity.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&searchtype=address&country=ZA&addtohistory=&city=Khayelitsha

Now try the zoom bar at the left of the map..

There is no data for the region. So I guess a catering firm or a Mc Donald's is outta the question? :confused: :(