PDA

View Full Version : Three of my cockatiels passed away suddenly:(

My Peanuts
11-25-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm posting this here so more people can see it. I know Alex has gotten a lot of prayers from people on here.

I still don't know what happened... There were no signs until it was too late. On Monday 11/21 my beloved Alex, Danny, and Evie passed away. First it was Danny. I came home and saw him on the bottom of the cage. I've seen it before with Pretty Boy and when you see it you know there is nothing you can do for them. I tried to make him comfortable and called the vet to have him euthanized. I did this because when Pretty Boy went to the RB I thought I'd cover the cage and let it happen naturally, but she was lying there all night and I couldn't do that to Danny. By the time I made the calls Danny was gone. Just as I started to cry my brother runs in the room and says something is wrong with Evie. Evie was only a year and a half old. Within minutes she was gone too. I took Alex (my VERY VERY special girl) and Milton out of the cage and put them in my room and opened the windows at the vet's request. It looked like Alex and Milton were going to be ok, but then about 2 hours later Alex passed rapidly too. That hurt so much to see my girl go. They are all special, but Alex was my baby girl and I did everything for her. My mom got 3 nice wooden cigar boxes and I put all their favorite toys in them and a picture of Alex in Danny's (that was his girl too) They will be buried today. Alex will be buried with my RB Shih Tzu, Angie and Danny and Evie next to them.

I don't know if it was an inhalant in the air (carbon monoxide detector was at 0) or a virus or what. My whole family has been talking about it for days with no answers. Milton is doing well all things considered and I have been spending a lot of time with him. I never thought Milton and I would be kindred souls, but we are both hurting a lot right now. This has been a total nightmare.

Mommy misses you Ally Cat, Danny Boy, and Evie Girl. RIP :(

Miss Z
11-25-2005, 11:54 AM
So sorry about your pets my thoughts are with you:(

Cincy'sMom
11-25-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm so sorry for your losses. What a tragedy, to loose all 3 at once, with no answer. My thoughts are with you.

crazy_caique
11-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I am so sorry for your loss to loss all 3 at the same time my thoughts and prayers are with you

buttercup132
11-25-2005, 02:06 PM
omg thats terrible i dont even know where to start about how bad i feel for you i cant even imagine how much pain your in

poofy
11-25-2005, 02:44 PM
That is so horriable, im so sorry for you , oh my..huggs..many huggs.. :(

luvofallhorses
11-25-2005, 02:48 PM
I am so sorry. :( My heart goes aches for you. (((((hugs)))))) You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

chocolatepuppy
11-25-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm so sorry, how terrible to lose all three at once! :( My thoughts and prayers are with you. May they RIP.

jackie
11-25-2005, 02:56 PM
(((((hugs)))))) :(

Giselle
11-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Oh dear! I'm so sorry! The same thing happened with my ex-flock (I say that because my flock of 6-7 or so was reduced to 3). However, I know why my birds died. It does give me some closure to know what caused their deaths and how to prevent it. Have you recently painted your house? Have you recently acquired a new bird? Are the birds near any drafts (this is a basic basic question and you probably will say no, but it never hurts to ask)? This all deals with airborne problems. You should also look into their water, their food, the treats, etc. What were you feeding them? I'm so sorry for your loss. The pain is incredible, and the is just numbing. I know where you've been, and I can completely sympathize with you. I hope you feel better.

My Peanuts
11-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Oh dear! I'm so sorry! The same thing happened with my ex-flock (I say that because my flock of 6-7 or so was reduced to 3). However, I know why my birds died. It does give me some closure to know what caused their deaths and how to prevent it. Have you recently painted your house? Have you recently acquired a new bird? Are the birds near any drafts (this is a basic basic question and you probably will say no, but it never hurts to ask)? This all deals with airborne problems. You should also look into their water, their food, the treats, etc. What were you feeding them? I'm so sorry for your loss. The pain is incredible, and the is just numbing. I know where you've been, and I can completely sympathize with you. I hope you feel better.

Alex's birthday was Saturday and I bought her millet and a new toy. I washed the toy. Nothing else was different. I still threw away everything and bought Milton all new stuff.

k9krazee
11-25-2005, 03:55 PM
:( Oh no :( I am so sorry for your losses, how horrible it must be to those three at one time :( RIP Alex, Danny and Evie!

Ginger's Mom
11-25-2005, 04:27 PM
I am so very sorry. :( I am sure that was heartbreaking. {{{Big Hugs}}}

My Peanuts
11-25-2005, 04:45 PM
I feel so bad for Milton. I think he knows what's going on because he's not calling for Evie like he used to when she would be away from him. I know his little heart is breaking just like mine. He came from a shelter and he has been with us for over a year. It's like he finally found his cockatiel family and they all die. Poor little guy. Plus, he wasn't hand raised and I don't think he likes to be handled, which means he will have almost no physical contact in his life. I plan to work with him more, but not if it means stressing him out. It's way too soon to tell, especially since I don't know what happened to Alex, Danny, & Evie, but I might consider in the future getting Milton a friend. I honestly don't want to, but Milton deserves companionship.

dappledoxie
11-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I am so so sorry -hugs- I know that must be tearing you up inside, it's so hard to loose anyone we love. I'm just really sorry you lost your babies :(

MariaM
11-25-2005, 05:52 PM
:( I'm so sorry.. That is so tragic...I know you're hurting a lot right now, and must be devastated...I am sad here, myself. I will pray for you and your family...I'm really sorry. :(

K9soul
11-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Diana, I can hardly come up with words right now. This is unimaginable, unbearable :( :(. My heart is completely broken for you Diana, and your babies, dear little Alex... :(. I know how deeply bonded you were to your little girl. This is almost beyond comprehension, you must be in such shock and grief. Wrapping my arms around you in my heart Diana, across the miles. I am so very, very sorry.

Alex, Danny, Evie, you will be missed sweethearts. Fly joyfully at the bridge, sweet birdies. :(

Toby's my baby
11-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I am so sorry, I cant even imagin what you are going through. My prayers are with you and you birdy :(

.powerful
11-26-2005, 08:13 PM
I really can't even begin to imagin how awful this is for you. I am so sorry that your three babies had to be taken away from you. This is so tragic. :(

My prayers are with Milton. I hope he continues to stay healthy.

just me
11-27-2005, 11:21 AM
I am so sorry.
Having 5 birds myself, I just cant imagine the saddness you are feeling.
My heart truly breaks for you.
And poor Milton, I am so so sorry.
RIP sweet little ones :( :( :(
Sending lots of hugs your way...

lv4dogs
11-28-2005, 11:28 AM
What a tragidy. I am so very sorry. I can't image the pain you must be feeling right now. I wish I could make it all go away for you.

Cataholic
11-28-2005, 01:05 PM
I am so very sorry for the loss of your 3 babies. :(

popcornbird
11-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I can't even begin to imagine your pain. :(:( I don't know what to say. May God bring you comfort, and help you get through this difficult time. So sorry to hear about your loss. Rest in peace, sweet tiels. :(

finn's mom
11-29-2005, 03:32 PM
I knew from other threads, that something had happened...I wasn't ready to read about it. :( My apologies for being selfish that way, but, I had a feeling this would really get to me, and, it did. I'm so sorry that you lost your birds. :( Poor Milton.

My Peanuts
11-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Thank you everyone. It still hurts so much and I talk to Alex, Danny, and Evie every night before bed. I know they can hear me. Your words and concerns really mean a lot to me.

Milton is doing ok. He's eating well and I'm cooking for him twice a day. He's getting a lot of attention. He is now making strange noises that he never made before. Some sound sad and some sound like he's trying to find another mate. I expected this. Going from 4 birds to 1 so suddenly has given me the chance to bond a little more with Milton. I guess that's the only silver lining here. Milton is not hand raised or tame at all because he came from a shelter. Last night I got him to eat some millet while I sat next to him on the bed. Sounds small, but for him it was pretty big. I'm already looking for someone for him. At first it was just asking breeders questions, then one breeder said she had a perfect match for him. It seems too soon, but if you saw Milton you'd know he needs someone. To be honest, I'd be happy with just him. The "perfect" pal for Milton is Bessie. She is a young newly hand tamed (not hand raised) Lutino. She was a rescue similar to Milton. The breeder said she doesn't even advertise that Bessie is available because she was waiting to find the perfect fit for her. I'm planning on visiting her soon (within a week or two). The breeder said Bessie is acting like Milton, sad and looking for a mate. They will have to be quarantined from each other for a month, but they will still be able to head each other from across the house. I hope this makes Milton happy. He's breaking my heart.

finn's mom
12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh, wow...I hope Bessie and Milton can do eachother some good. The names fit already, though...what a sad story. But, maybe the next chapter will be sweeter.

Logan
12-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Diana, I am just seeing this now. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

I hope the new companion will work out for Milton. I can't imagine Roger or Milly being without each other.

Logan

tatsxxx11
12-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Oh Diana:( I can only imagine the incredible shock and numbness you must have expereinced, losing your three precious babies so tragically, so suddenly:( My heart breaks for you and dear Milton. Hopefully a new feathered freind will help to help your hearts. I too believe that your beloved babies are hearing you speak to them, being comforted by your loving words. Much love and my heartfelt sympathies to you and to Milton, Diana...

Love,
Sandra