PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Trouble!

DogLover9501
11-24-2005, 05:28 PM
I bought a new computer today, and so far am not too happy about it ;)

It has Windows XP, I'm used to Windows 98. The screen is big, but all the websites are either right in the center, leaving the two ends blank, or right to the left, leaving the right blank. Is there a way to fix this?

Also all the text is very small, everywhere, and so are all the icons.

Thanks

Vette
11-24-2005, 05:39 PM
To get the text size bigger click on "View" in the upper left hand corner of of your browser. and theres a option for "Text size" click on "Incrase"

as for your monitor. i never heard of something like that before...
maybe its something in your monitor settings itself. try playing with those and find the 'center screen' option.

poofy
11-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Vette is right prob your screen settings..

DogLover9501
11-24-2005, 07:51 PM
I've tried alot of different screen/resolution settings. Nothing is working :(

ChrisH
11-25-2005, 03:13 AM
I recently had a new computer, a laptop, with WindowsXP and a bigger screen, 1024x768 as apposed to 800x600, and
I don't think you can change the website in the middle or one side thing. I think because most websites are made for the smaller screen size. I could be wrong though.

You should be able to change the text size though, go to view in your browser and see what's there. I think that if you change text size in IE it stays the same until you want/need to change it again, but if you are using Firefox, as I am, I think it has to be changed each time you start the browser.

Chris

p.s. I am by no means an expert in these things so if anyone knows different please tell. :D

DogLover9501
11-25-2005, 10:38 AM
I recently had a new computer, a laptop, with WindowsXP and a bigger screen, 1024x768 as apposed to 800x600, and
I don't think you can change the website in the middle or one side thing. I think because most websites are made for the smaller screen size. I could be wrong though.

You should be able to change the text size though, go to view in your browser and see what's there. I think that if you change text size in IE it stays the same until you want/need to change it again, but if you are using Firefox, as I am, I think it has to be changed each time you start the browser.

Chris

p.s. I am by no means an expert in these things so if anyone knows different please tell. :D

That makes sense! My screen is 1280 x 1024, I think. I tried setting it at 800x600, and everything was too big! I have it at the next smallest, and it's a little bit better.

I may just get a smaller monitor, since it was bought seperately.

RedHedd
11-25-2005, 11:41 AM
That makes sense! My screen is 1280 x 1024, I think. I tried setting it at 800x600, and everything was too big! I have it at the next smallest, and it's a little bit better.

I may just get a smaller monitor, since it was bought seperately.

Yes, it's the resolution settings. Keep fiddling with them until it's adjusted right. It takes time and tinkering. We just switched up to 19" monitors at my office and I had to scale the resolution down to 800x600 so I could see things. To change the text size resolution on the desktop, right click in any empty space on the desktop, click on Properties, the Settings tab and then the Advanced button. There you can change your desktop font size to large fonts. HTH