PDA

View Full Version : Help with animal testing..

Muddy4paws
11-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know where I can get more infomation about the advantage and the disadvantages of animal testing?

Thanks!

Laura's Babies
11-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Testing as in what? I am a bit slow so what kind of testing?

Muddy4paws
11-24-2005, 04:00 PM
its for a project about the reasons of disadvantages or advantages, basically if you agree or disagree about it, like testing for medicines or cosmetics etc, Your not slow I just probably didnt explain it right ;)

Tayethin
11-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Personally I hate animal testing, I hate what it does to the poor little animals, but at the same time, it also helps people, but at what cost? Repeated animal testing should be banned, this is were a product cuases a problem with the animals, and they keep testing on animals until they get it right, the other kind of animal testing which I kind of agree with is where they test it on animals and if there is a problem they have to redo the entire product and not just keep testing on animals, there's a great article about it here:
http://www.tcnnews.com/content/view/358/2/

Lady's Human
11-24-2005, 04:17 PM
There's only one problem with posting that question. It is a highly charged debate, and you are probably not going to get answers that are not idealogically driven.

Groups like PETA hate all animal use, and have gone so far as to attack the March of Dimes, calling them the March of Crimes for their use of animal testing, ignoring the fact that MOD has had a significant positive impact on birth defects through its research. Animal testing of Cosmetics is IMHO ignorant, but for true medical research there are things that are hard to research any other way.

smokey the elder
11-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Until the FDA approves some of the new alternatives for meds, animal testing is the only allowed way to "prove" safety. Quotes exist because animal models are NOT perfect! As far as a source base, I don't know of any "balanced" that discuss pro and con from an "objective" point of view. You might want to google it and wade through the rhetoric.

Disclaimer: I work in pharma, don't approve of testing for cosmetics, and would very much like an alternative to animal testing for human drugs.