PDA

View Full Version : Baby Name :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-24-2005, 09:02 AM
I *think* Warren and I may have eventually agreed on names for Baby Girl.....

Callista Shannon

(Calli for short)

I feel so happy that we have eventually found a combination that we both like - I loved Raewyn Jade, but Warren didn't like it!!

k9krazee
11-24-2005, 09:16 AM
I think its beautiful!!!!! :D

Laura's Babies
11-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Great that you agreed on a name.. Good choice!

Barbara
11-24-2005, 09:18 AM
To me it sounds like a book title:

Ally, Calli and Connor :D ;)

Karen
11-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Lovely name, and it goes nicely with your one-syllable last name.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Very pretty name

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Of course there are still 3 months for Warren to change his mind (AGAIN), but I really really love it, so I hope it " sticks" :D

poofy
11-24-2005, 09:48 AM
I like that name..rolls off the tounge nicely.. :)

gini
11-24-2005, 10:13 AM
That is a lovely name!

new mom to a veiled
11-24-2005, 03:40 PM
I thinks it's an awesome name..........and hehehe, my name just happens to be Shannon.... ;)

Toby's my baby
11-24-2005, 03:48 PM
I love it!! Good luck on keeping it to "stick" ;)

jenluckenbach
11-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I am glad you have decided (I was about to PM and ask if you had). I think it is a wonderful name, but I have a question (not only for you, but to ALL people) Why do you plan to shorten the name?? If you like Calli, NAME her Calli. If you like Callista, CALL her Callista. :confused: (I by no means want to bring this thread down, but this is a habit that has always confused me)

Muddy4paws
11-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I am glad you have decided (I was about to PM and ask if you had). I think it is a wonderful name, but I have a question (not only for you, but to ALL people) Why do you plan to shorten the name?? If you like Calli, NAME her Calli. If you like Callista, CALL her Callista. (I by no means want to bring this thread down, but this is a habit that has always confused me)

I asked my mum the same question and she said its because she wanted the full names but realistically people do shorten them. Like my name is Holly and people shorten it to hols and I cannot stand it personally but even a short name gets shortened by lazy people!

jackie
11-24-2005, 06:24 PM
CALLISTA
Feminine form of CALLISTUS or a form of KALLISTO
Derived from Greek καλλιστος (kallistos) meaning "most beautiful". In Greek mythology Kallisto was a nymph who was loved by Zeus. She was changed into a she-bear by Hera, and subsequently became the Great Bear constellation. This was also an ancient Greek personal name.

What a lovely name!

finn's mom
11-24-2005, 07:34 PM
I think Callista is a beautiful name, and, Calli is a great nickname! The name is beautiful! I'm so happy that you guys reached an agreement, it's important! Congratulations...Can't wait to see photos of little Calli!

kimboe
11-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Oooo...That is a pretty name, I like it. Hopefully hubby won't change his mind on that one. :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments! :)

Jackie - thanks for posting the meaning - it's one of the things I LOVE about the name - I was looking for a less-common name, but not something " weird", so I think it fits the bill!!

Jen - re the whole nickname / shortening thing - realistically people WILL shorten the name, so I would rather have her known as Calli than Cals or something less attractive. Also, as she gets older, cute girlie names sometimes become less appropriate (especially for example in the workplace), so she has a choice to use her given name or her shortened form of the name.

(For example my Son Cameron - he often gets called CAM by his friends, when he was small we called him Cammie, but one day when he is a business professional he has the option of a formal, strong-sounding name).

Samantha Puppy
11-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Very pretty!

Cataholic
11-25-2005, 06:21 PM
What a beautiful sounding name!

Edwina's Secretary
11-25-2005, 08:07 PM
I love it! Yes...it can be youthful and professional. And I think Shannon is terrific too. (There was a Shannon at the Thanksgiving dinner we attend. But she is about my age.... :D )

Karen
11-25-2005, 08:36 PM
I agree with the Callista-Calli comments. I have worked with two women who were named the shorter version - or nickname - instead of the "full" name. Both Kate and Cami were constantly asked what their "real name" was, in Cami's case, both her parents liked the nickname Cami, but not any of the longer names it came from, so Cami she is. But it does cause questions everywhere she goes.

prechrswife
11-25-2005, 09:27 PM
I think the name is beautiful. I also like "Calli" as a nickname.

My 2 cents on the whole nickname thing--as long as it is related to the longer name, that's great. Just don't randomly give your child a nickname that is completely unrelated to their given name. I've been having to explain that all my life. :D

Dusty (not my given name :) )

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-25-2005, 11:17 PM
My 2 cents on the whole nickname thing--as long as it is related to the longer name, that's great.
Dusty (not my given name :) )

I agree - my FIL is Leonard Sydney, but everyone calls him MARK (not sure HOW that happened). My BIL is Darren, but we all call him ELVIS (but that's a whole 'nother story ;))

sandragonfly
11-26-2005, 01:33 AM
I think it's really beautiful...sounds so innocuous! :)

best wishes.

krazyaboutkatz
11-26-2005, 10:29 AM
I think that this is a wonderful name and I also love the shortened version of Calli to. :)
One of my nieces is named Nicole but goes by Nikki and my other niece is named Madison but goes by Maddie.