PDA

View Full Version : Whiskers in strange places

snafu026
03-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Hello. I have had my cat, Andi, for a year now... and I think she is pretty unusual. I havent ever seen or heard of another cat like her. So I am kind of curious as to if anyone else has or has heard of a cat with similar characteristics.
She is a blue tortise shell.... a grey with a peach color splotchiness to her...
She talks all the time... which I have just recently learned might be a characteristic of a siamese mixed cat.
One of the strangest things... is she has whiskers growing out of her legs... she has them on her cheeks and where her eyebrows are... and then some sprouting out of her legs....
Shes a real sweetie too...

Thanks for your input!

4 feline house
03-30-2002, 08:00 PM
Your kitty is perfectly normal.

wayne0214
03-31-2002, 01:01 PM
snafu026, First, welcome you to Pet Talk. I think you will find this site very friendly and helpful to all cat owners.

Yes, I have a small cat (Cookie) with the same tortie coloration but she is not part Siamese. Out of curiosity, is approximately 1/2 of your kitty's chin colored brown?

I have never heard of a cat growing whiskers out of their legs:D. But there are many things in this world that would be new to me. If your kitty is part Siamese, does she have blue or aqua-colored eyes? It is not known how familiar you are with other cats and their personalities, but what is most striking to me concerning all of them , is their diveristy of personalities. I do not believe that you will find two cats who are the same!:cool:

...........wayne

Lando
04-01-2002, 01:06 PM
Wow! I never heard of a cat that has whiskers growing out of their legs. YOur cat is unique!

Heather Wallace
04-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Yes she is normal in terms of her whiskers, my cats also have them there. Whiskers are sensetive, they are there to guide the cat through small spaces etc, to see if there is enough room for them.

AmberLee
04-01-2002, 01:44 PM
Cassy has whiskers on the back of his front legs. Livvy's so fuzzy, I've never noticed. Something to look for the next time we cuddle!

yumyum6970
04-02-2002, 06:38 AM
YumYum is part siamese and loves to talk too!! When we first got her at 2 months old, we were worried because she hardly ever talked..now she talks ALL the time especially in the mornings!!! :)

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

David_M
04-04-2002, 07:39 PM
Well, I can't say if it is unusual as far as the whiskers, but I think it is a normal cat. ;) Be proud for what it is, not what is looks like.

tuxluvr
04-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Ritzy also has "leg whiskers". I call them "kitty curb feelers" and believe I've read that the overall purpose of whiskers is to provide "sensors" so the cat knows before going into a small space whether or not they will fit.

I've always wondered if a cat gains weight, do its whiskers "grow" to accommodate the new girth?

LoudLou
04-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by tuxluvr
......I call them "kitty curb feelers"
I've always wondered if a cat gains weight, do its whiskers "grow" to accommodate the new girth?

Tuxluvr- you crak me up! ...:D Curb feelers :D I like that!
I've often wonderd the same thing about the whisker to girth ratio. Bonzo and Mocha aren't extremely "Girth-ful" but they're whiskers are HUGE.;)

Nomilynn
04-07-2002, 08:13 PM
I would think they must (grow to accomodate girth ;) ) My parents have a cat named Sox who, when we got him, was quite the lean, trim, athletic kitty. Then he became an indoor cat and WHOA! He got much .. ahem... wider. Anyway, I think his whiskers grew along with his tummy, because from looking at pictures they are longer now.

Both my cats also have leg whiskers - I think that's a pretty normal place. I love how the eyebrow whiskers get little curls at the tips on both my girls - too cute! :D

05-06-2002, 03:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tuxluvr
[B]Ritzy also has "leg whiskers". I call them "kitty curb feelers"

:D :D :D

hahaha , LOL !!!!!!