PDA

View Full Version : Please God! Not MANGE!!!

lute
11-23-2005, 05:29 PM
i was playing with the dogs today at the park. Gracie was rolling around in the grass and i saw her belly was really red. i flipped her on her back and got a closer look at it. her belly, in between her back legs and going up her right back leg is Nasty looking. she's got no hair and it's all red and inflamed. it's warm and is scabby. it's oozing clear liquid and what looks to be blood. :( :( :(

i'm FREAKING out!!! i called the vet and all surrounding vets. no one is open till Sat. or Mon. :( i cleaned the area and put her in her crate away from the rest of the dogs.

i've looked at some pics of mange on the internet and it looks like a few of the pics. :( also, we have a dog show next week. looks like Gracie won't be compeating.:( :( please send your prayers and good thought our way!

Glacier
11-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Call her breeder and ask if there is any history of Zinc Responsive Dermatosis in her line. It's fairly common in purebred Siberian Huskies.

Muskwa has it. It does take awhile to clear up once treatment starts, 2-3 weeks. Muskwa gets 75mg of Zinc, just a human supplement pill, every day. Cheap and easy to treat. He can go three days without it before the sores reappear. They appear anywhere his fur is thin--eyes, genital area, belly, ears, ect. He needs more zinc when he is working alot or under any kind of stress.

We did get a firm diagnosis--only done through a skin biopsy. But if it's in her line, you may be able to start her on a supplement right away and see if she responds. It's extremely difficult to overdose a dog on zinc; it would need to be a massive dose. They just pee out whatever they don't need usually.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.

lute
11-23-2005, 06:10 PM
i called Gracie's breeder and she said there is none of this in her lines.

unfortinatly, her breeder is a very rude woman. she started yelling at me and telling me i was a terrible dog owner and she should have known better then to give such a great dog to such a young person. :( i gt upset and started crying. i do try to be the best owner i can. i am doing the best i can. :(

poofy
11-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Oh that was uncalled for..hope she gets better soon..hang in there.

KYS
11-23-2005, 06:44 PM
What a nasty nasty woman.
I bet she got defensive and was trying to put the blame on you.
Please don't be upset, you are not a bad owner.
I am sure Gracie will be fine
after the vet gives you something for her.

dogzr#1
11-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Oh, you are not at all a bad pet owner.

Molly had something similar to what you have described. Molly had what looked like little bites and sores all over her back legs and near her butt. We took her to the vet and he prescribed some cream and pills. Within a few days it cleared up completely. Molly was always itching that spot so we bought some medicine at Petsmart that stops the itching. It really helped her. If Gracie is itching I can give you the name of the medicine.

-Monica:)

k9krazee
11-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Hope its nothing serious!! As for the breeder, grrrrrr. I agree that she probably was being a bit defensive but still she doesn't need to act like that!

cocker_luva
11-23-2005, 07:04 PM
mange isnt that bad if u catch it in time. Jesse had it for 3 weeks during the summer and we got some medicine for it and it cleared up fast. also if it is mange, check to see if it contagious or not, that way ur dog wont have to away from the other dogs if it doesnt have to. i thank god that Jesse's was non-contagious, so she could still play.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid164/p55f9bfcb76586d24d2e3cc66381c7c38/f4898640.jpg
it was on her back

Alysser
11-23-2005, 07:34 PM
AW! Poor Gracie! Don't get upset over stupid people like that. I'm sure you are doing the best you can in owning your dogs. She is being stupid. Don't worry about her problems. Good Luck with Gracie and if she does compete could luck next week! :D

lute
11-24-2005, 10:13 AM
thanks everyone. Gracie is going to te vet forst thing in the morning. it's been a stressful thanksgiving so far. i'm really worried. i hope that Gracie grows her hair back!i'd hate to never show her again. :( i hate missing our next show. there are 28 sibes!

Pawsitive Thinking
11-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Yet more proof that animals are much nicer than SOME people! Don't let that horrid woman get to you - she obviously only sees breeding as a way to make money...................

Kisses to Gracie

cpitbulls
11-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Get her to your vet as soon as possible. And also call your breeder and see is she or he has any experience with this. I will set my prayers on Gracie. This happened to my friend's Greyhound, but they got it treated. Wishes and prayers, Chelsea.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I hope Gracie feels better soon! I think calling your breeder shows you are a responsible dog owner, not the opposite. All dogs get sick now and again no matter how great you are, and calling your breeder shows that you care about your dog and want them to get better as soon as possible!

cpitbulls
11-24-2005, 10:31 AM
That breeder was rude and VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY wrong!

xParisx
11-24-2005, 10:59 AM
:mad: What a horrid woman!!!! Just ignore her nasty comments, You seem like you care a lot about your dogs and their welfare and happiness and calling your breeder was a responsible thing to do. x

I agree with Brody's Mum animals are much better than some of the awful people in this world!

P.S ~ I hope Gracie gets better soon :) x

lute
11-24-2005, 08:41 PM
this has been the longest day. i gave Gracie a bath and softly washed the area. it's so hot. i can feel the heat comming from her body. i washed all her bedding and washed all her toys. i rubbed dwn her crate too. i want everything to be clean. i don't want the open areas of it to get infected. :(

cyber-sibes
11-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Poor Gracie, and poor you - you sure didn't deserve to be treated like that. if you were really a horrible dog owner, you would never even have called her in the first place trying to figure out what Gracie's problem is, now would you? :D It's obvious by your posts that you & your whole family love dogs!
Anyway, I'm glad I read Glacier's post - I just noticed Star has a spot on her groin that is reddish & the fur is thin, too, so now I have an idea what it may be- she's a purebred siberian. We'll get it checked. Good luck with Gracie.