PDA

View Full Version : Does your dog get a thankgiving dinner?

pnance
11-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Just curious, but who feeds their dogs a plate of their own thankgiving dinner? Mine usually get a plate of everthing we eat, turkey, cranberry sauce, potatos, veggies (although Nikka won't touch broccoli ;) ), etc. Bear loves thanksgiving for this reason, it's the 1 day I let him forget about his diet. :D

BitsyNaceyDog
11-23-2005, 12:11 PM
My dogs aren't used to table food, so I'd be afraid they'd get sick from it. My dogs do get vegetables though, it's the only people food they get. We're not having Thanksgiving here, I may take one or two of the dogs with us to my parents house, but I haven't decided yet.

lv4dogs
11-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Oh you bet! What would a holiday be like if you didn't share it with the dogs?

They get a bigger plate than I do. And boy do they eat! They always get people food, but big holidays like this they get so much people food that they don't even get their regualr kibble!
Appetizers, dinner & desert! They get it all! :D :D

.sarah
11-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Oh you bet! What would a holiday be like if you didn't share it with the dogs?

They get a bigger plate than I do. And boy do they eat! They always get people food, but big holidays like this they get so much people food that they don't even get their regualr kibble!
Appetizers, dinner & desert! They get it all! :D :D
Be careful of pancreatitis! LOL

lv4dogs
11-23-2005, 12:46 PM

Oh I know! I've been researching diets in dogs my whole life. ;) They get a lot of raw & cooked meals and sometimes kibble.
Look at Nanook the king of people food. He's 15 & in perfect health except for his arthritis & tumors (which I did talk to the vets many times, they really don't think they are related to diet at all).
I don't feed a whole lot of fatty or sugary foods and no bad foods (onions, grapes etc...).

lvpets2002
11-23-2005, 12:46 PM
:o Oh of course .. All my babies Dogs & Cats get a plate with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving & Christmas..

Glacier
11-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Which is exactly why mine don't get a big special meal. After two bouts of pancreatitis with two different dogs, both almost fatal, that's not a risk I'll take. Neither case was triggered by a high fat meal, but both dogs are on low-fat intakes forever now.

I spent Canadian Thanksgiving at the vet this year--patching Pacer up after a fight. Fortunately there were two vets in the clinic. One dealt with Pacer and the other returned phone calls, most of which were about dogs showing signs of pancreatitis.

My dogs eat better than I do anyway! They had smoked salmon and halibut last night! I had hamburger helper!

ramanth
11-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Kia gets some Turkey and fixins'. :D

Kfamr
11-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Amy and I are making the dogs some cookies. We also bought some "turkey and veggie" wet food for them to have. Of course, they'll get a few pieces of our turkey. :)

elizabethann
11-23-2005, 01:27 PM
But of course.

:D :D :)

sammy101
11-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Yes they do.We cook the liver(i think its the liver?) for them too,they love it! :)

finn's mom
11-23-2005, 02:45 PM
I'll be buying Finn a cornish hen or something like that. And, he'll get a few handfuls of the veggies I'll be eating, before they're cooked. he'll be chilling in the living room while we eat in the dining room, though. And, then, he'll eat his dinner. :)

Jessika
11-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Mine probably will, but only AFTER everyone else is finished eating :)

k9krazee
11-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Everybody (exept Kyra :( ) will get a little something!!!

Edit: Micki and Mini's birthday is Friday :D So not only do they get Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow but their birthday feast the next day!!

cyber-sibes
11-23-2005, 03:41 PM
They don't get everything, and not too much, but they'll get some chunks of turkey mixed in their kibble. Also a bit of potato and gravy. We're having friends over with their dog, so all three will get more than enough doggie treats from the kids!

Shelteez2
11-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Emily and Clipse get to eat the turkey neck... of course we already had our Thanksgiving.... I'm sure they wouldn't mind having a turkey neck tomorrow though to celebrate with you Americans. :)

Alysser
11-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Sassy does. She gets turkey. I'm not sure if she'll get sick from the other things. She hates broccli so thats a no no right off the bat.

PJ's Mom
11-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Mine do. They get everything we eat except for the sweet stuff. I fix them each their own small bowl which holds about a cup of food. It usually consists of potatoes, gravy, veggies and turkey. :) They eat it after we're done eating and I even give the cats some turkey. ;)

chocolatepuppy
11-24-2005, 06:10 AM
My dogs and cats get a little bit of turkey! ;)

Pembroke_Corgi
11-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Everyone's dogs will be eating well today! I usually give my dogs something good, like a special treat or bone. My husband and I are vegetarians, though, so no turkey...although maybe I can sneek some off from the dinner we are going to for the dogs. :)

lute
11-24-2005, 10:16 AM
oh yeah! so far the pups have gotten all the "innerds" of the turkey. Houston LOVED the neck! they are each going to get a little platter of leftovers. :D although I'M eating all the candied yams! :D :p

cpitbulls
11-24-2005, 10:35 AM
THIS WILL BE THEIR FIRST THANKSGIVING! I can't wait... I wonder if they will like playing with my relitaves dogs???? Probubly... they love playing with the neighbor's German Shepherd mix. Yes, I will feed them both a plateful of Turkey and Stuffing! Unfourtunetly - Knox couldn't wait, so he ended up jumped up on the counter when I wasn't looking and snatching a chunk!

Toby's my baby
11-24-2005, 03:24 PM
We dont give ours their own plates, but they do get turkey. We give them the bones and a lot of left over turkey, but we have to be VERY careful that they eat by themselves, last time we had a turkey my dad but it outside and let all the dogs go get what they wanted and their was a HUGE fight :o, lets just say my dad didnt give the dogs ANYTHING this time.

k9krazee
11-24-2005, 06:35 PM
The dogs ate well tonight, we were gone practically all day at my Aunt's house though so the kids were alone most of the day :( When we got home we gave them some of the leftovers.

edit...they didn't get their own plates but they did get to eat off the spoon :p

Vette
11-24-2005, 07:07 PM
I just give my dog extra dog treats. i dont like giving anything that we eat to pets.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Our Thanksgiving was a while ago now but I thought I'd reply anyway. My dogs each get a small piece of turkey on Thanksgiving after we're finished eating.