PDA

View Full Version : Hit a deer

IRescue452
11-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Last night I hit a deer for the first time in my life. I'm happy I was in the buick. It only damaged a headlight and the grill. The problem is it was a $200 headlight and 100 grill. I hate deer.

CagneyDog
11-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Sorry that your car has some damage however I'd be a bit more worried about the poor deer :(

ramanth
11-23-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm happy you weren't hurt. I once stopped for a doe that was in the road. She finally crossed and when I accelerated she turned around and ran into the side of my car. :eek: :rolleyes: Not too bright.

She was okay (saw her bounding off into the woods), car was okay, but it scared the crap out of me.

poofy
11-23-2005, 10:23 AM
That happens to my daughter in VA almost every other year, has totaled 3 cars, its so hard to know when they will pop out..Sorry it happend.. :D

JenBKR
11-23-2005, 11:06 AM
(((hugs))) I hit a deer once years ago, scared the crap out of me. I hit it pretty hard and killed the deer (and my car). I know how upsetting it can be.

catnapper
11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I too hit one once.... but I think it was just a tap. The deer ran off, and there was no damage to my car. I felt so bad for the deer.

caseysmom
11-23-2005, 11:54 AM
My husband hit one over the summer, he was really shaken up and worried about the deer. Luckily the insurance took care of the car it was $2,000 worth of damage. The deer ran off but we don't know if it was okay or not.

LKPike
11-23-2005, 01:53 PM
we hit a big bbuck christmas night about 4 years ago. in an suv on a little country road that was next to a deep cliff, had my then 4 year old neice, sister, and mother in the car and its honestly a miracle the car didnt flip. He hit my side of the car, flew up on the windsheild, totaled the car to no end. had to explain to a freaked out 4 year old no it wasnt reindeer or bambi. yes shes still getting gifts. blood, fur, and mix of liquids pouring out of the car everywhere. it was terrible, and next morning all my dad could say was "well did you go get it?" "...huh?" ... for eating! 'tupid deer....

Kfamr
11-23-2005, 02:24 PM
That poor deer. I think i'd be more worried about the deer than the car. :(
I'm very sorry that your car is broken, but it is no reason to hate a living animal that YOU hit. Hopefully i'm not the only one who thinks that way, it's quite upsetting.

.sarah
11-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Your username and the fact that you care more about your car in this incident really confuses me.

k9krazee
11-23-2005, 02:27 PM
That poor deer. I think i'd be more worried about the deer than the car. :(
I'm very sorry that your car is broken, but it is no reason to hate a living animal that YOU hit. Hopefully i'm not the only one who thinks that way, it's quite upsetting.

ditto :(

LKPike
11-23-2005, 02:38 PM
well in OUR case, the deer hit us :p

ramanth
11-23-2005, 02:56 PM
I love animals but frankly I can understand her frustration. This time of year is maddening. Deer are always on the move but more so during hunting season. They get spooked out of there normal grazing and resting locations during the day. They do not just lay down where they are at night. They cross many roads and highways to get back to their normal nesting areas.

It saddens me to see a dead deer on the side of the road or highway and honestly we need more hunters to keep the deer population reasonable. There are no natural predators. I'd prefer to see the deer on my dinner plate than on the side of the road where it likely suffered.

And you can't accuse her saying she hit it. She didn't want to hit it. And at night there are times you can't see them. Rarely do they just stand in the road or meander out into the road far enough ahead so that you have time to stop for them. They just POP out and you either have two choices. Swerve or hit it.

And if you swerve you are likely to hit another car, a tree, or worse, a pedestrian.

There are so many vehicle fatalities this time of year because people swerve to miss the deer.

Both the police and insurance companies stress that you should never swerve. Always hit the deer. The damage will be less and you are likely to walk away.

My mom was able to stop in time for a herd of deer. The last one out of the woods landed on the hood of her car, killing itself and blowing out her headlights and radiator.

A boy in my high school swerved to miss a deer and hit a tree head on. He's dead but hey... they deer lived.

*gets off her soapbox*

Vela
11-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I always feel badly for the deer, but nobody WANTS to hit a deer. It's an accident. They just pop out and they are really quite dumb about cars, as in the story where they tried to drive past and it turned around and ran into the car...I think it's okay to be upset about damage to your vehicle, but I feel badly for the deer as well. They can't help it there isn't much place to go anymore where there aren't people, but I don't think anyone intentionally wants to hit one with their car.

CagneyDog
11-23-2005, 03:40 PM
There are no natural predators.

Yeah because of us! If we didn't kill off their natural predators then we wouold not have that probelem at all.

I totally agree with you Kay.

Edwina's Secretary
11-23-2005, 05:43 PM
If you live where deer and highways collide you know what IRescue is talking about. They are a great danger to vehicles. It is sad but a fact of urban life in certain parts of the country....including where I grew up.

They are beautiful creatures but when one comes crashing through your car windshield it is a terrifying event! And most often at dusk or night.

Hunting season is bad and rutting season even worse!

anna_66
11-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. We hit a deer a few years ago and unfortunately the doe didn't die right away. It was the most horrible thing:(

But I do feel your frustration. The deer have been so bad around here lately I can't even tell you how many times Mark and I have almost hit a deer. It's almost a daily thing :eek:

CagneyDog
11-23-2005, 06:25 PM
So what happened to the deer? Is it dead?

christa
11-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Very interesting thread.

First of all, I'd like to say I'm sorry that *the deer hit you*. ;) It's always sad to see one laying on the side of the road. Around here, you can't go a mile without seeing one. They are so thick in our Kentucky hills, it's insane!

Fortunately, I haven't hit one . . . YET . . . but I'm sure I will eventually. I've slammed on my brakes plenty of times and I've seen other cars hit them. My mom hit one just last year . . . just tapped it though . . . knocked the salt off of her Explorer. :eek:

I completely understand your hard feelings for the deer that messed up your car. That doesn't mean that you're an animal hater and for those of you who implied otherwise, shame on you! :rolleyes: So quick to judge.

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one on a soapbox here today . . . Guess some of these replies just really irritated me. :rolleyes:

Again, sorry about your accident . . .

I'll shut up now. :)

CagneyDog
11-23-2005, 07:19 PM
That doesn't mean that you're an animal hater and for those of you who implied otherwise, shame on you! So quick to judge.

Where did someone imply that she is an animal hater?

buttercup132
11-23-2005, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE]Your username and the fact that you care more about your car in this incident really confuses me
ditto and ditto to kays post ,id be more worried about a livivng animal then a hunk of metal

IRescue452
11-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Ok, I don't hate deer, unlike this computer, I just get frustrated when they come out of nowhere. I was going 65 mph. The deer was dead before it hit the ground I'm sorry to say, but it won't go to waste. We do have wolves and a few big cats by us, but not near enough to control the deer. What we need is country full of native tribes to make use of the abundant food source. I'm thankful the airbags in my car didn't go off and kill me also. The poor fish were in their cups riding home for fall break. The cups went flying and C.C.'s delta tail is now a crown tail, but that will heal. I guess I'll just have to live with the frustration of having no drivable vehicle for a while, at least untill I scrape up the money for a headlight unit. There'll be no textbooks for class next semester.

IRescue452
11-23-2005, 09:47 PM
I guess I care more about that hunk of metal because that is the only thing getting me to college. I pay for college from working up to 16 hours a day in a mill all summer. I can't even afford the $400 doctor bill I have from my ankle injury. I have no insurance, medical or vehicle. I'm living as close to the edge of poverty as possible scraping together every dime I have to live, so an accident like ths sets back my entire life. The deer, while still being a living being, could just as well have been shot by a hunter and died more slowly.

CagneyDog
11-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Did u even stop after you hit it :(?

Vela
11-23-2005, 10:01 PM
I guess I care more about that hunk of metal because that is the only thing getting me to college. I pay for college from working up to 16 hours a day in a mill all summer. I can't even afford the $400 doctor bill I have from my ankle injury. I have no insurance, medical or vehicle. I'm living as close to the edge of poverty as possible scraping together every dime I have to live, so an accident like ths sets back my entire life. The deer, while still being a living being, could just as well have been shot by a hunter and died more slowly.

I'm sorry that happened. Some people don't have to worry as much about paying bills and getting by and have no clue about how hard life can be for those who do struggle just to keep above water. There is nothing you could have done to avoid it and nothing you could have done for the deer, despite what some may think. I hope things work out for you.

BTW even if she had stopped, she couldn't have done anything. To get out and get near an injured deer could be very dangerous, even to the point of being killed by flying hooves if it was flailing. While it is sad about the deer, human life is, at the very least, just as important and a little compassion for what happened wouldn't hurt. She didn't ask the deer to jump out into her car, it just happened.

K9soul
11-23-2005, 10:02 PM
I feel for you Irescue. I know how devastating it can be to be scraping by and then something like this happens and throws you even farther into the hole, you feel like you'll never get out, it's a real blow to the gut so to speak. My brother-in-law was in a near-fatal horrible crash when he smashed into a deer while on a high speed chase (he's a cop), it totaled his squad car and only the airbag saved his life. It's scary and extremely dangerous. I'm very glad you are okay, it could have so easily ended up even worse. It must have been a traumatic experience and I am certain it was upsetting on many levels.

sammy101
11-23-2005, 10:14 PM
i'm sorry this happened to you.i've never hit a deer before,and hopefully i never will have to go through that.I hope everything works out for you.

areias
11-23-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm sorry, IRescue. That's a horrible thing to go through, I know how tough it is. Although it's tragic that it had to happen, at least you're okay. I know what it's like to struggle too. I hit a coyote about a month back. I didn't stop-like IRescue said, it was dead before it hit the ground. I felt bad for it, but I wasn't aiming for it, I didn't want to hit it, it was out of my hands. Now my A/C dosen't work right, my hoods lifted up slightly, and my vanity plate was all but destroyed. At least my car is drivable-I'm sorry for IRescue. Please no one say she's horrible because she hit a deer. I'm sure she much rather would not have hit it.... :rolleyes:

CagneyDog
11-23-2005, 10:30 PM
BTW even if she had stopped, she couldn't have done anything. To get out and get near an injured deer could be very dangerous, even to the point of being killed by flying hooves if it was flailing. While it is sad about the deer, human life is, at the very least, just as important and a little compassion for what happened wouldn't hurt. She didn't ask the deer to jump out into her car, it just happened.

Called a wildlife rescue? People do that here all the time. Being killed by flying hooves is a little over the top. I never asked to her get out and pet the deer. I find it hard to find compassion over this but I did say that I'm sorry it happened. How would you know its dead if you didn't stop?

LuvGold00
11-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, I know how it feels. I've never hit one myself, but when I was on my local ambulance service we responded to many accidents involving deer. More times than not, even if it's not dead from the accident, the police were called and they had to shoot it anyway. Sad, but, such is life. I hope you find the money for your car soon, and RIP to the little deer.

petslover
11-23-2005, 10:51 PM
I am glad that you are okay. I have heard many cases when deer run out in front of people and they get seriously hurt. I am glad you are okay. I think people are jumping to conclusions about her. She was frustrated when she said she hate deer. I would be frustrated too if it caused that much damage to my car. Money is too hard to come by when you are going to college. The main thing is that she is okay and that is good news.

Lady's Human
11-24-2005, 05:15 AM
3500 lbs (The average weight of a car) x 65 MPH yields a lot of kinetic energy, normally = a dead deer. Unfortunately the deer population has gotten to overpopulation for various reasons, and this is the result.

No, being killed by flying hooves from an injured deer is NOT over the top, it happens at least once or twice per year.

IRescue, glad to see you are alright, hopefully you get the car back on the road soon.

LKPike
11-24-2005, 09:35 AM
either 1: some people have never driven through the country and experienced determined deer.
or 2: some people dont currently WORK to pay for a vehicle and insurance.

Would be interested to know their opinions after that...

our only concern after we hit the last deer was if WE were ok. We did not go chasing off into the night, in the woods, to see it the deer was ok. We had a child in the vehicle and I hate to think what would of happened had my sister not kept her cool while bringing the vehicle to a stop.

Doesnt make me an animal hater that I couldnt care less about the deer in that situation. Bring me a deer thats been abused as someones pet and I'll care. but if IT hits my car - Sorry.

Desert Arabian
11-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Called a wildlife rescue? People do that here all the time. Being killed by flying hooves is a little over the top. I never asked to her get out and pet the deer. I find it hard to find compassion over this but I did say that I'm sorry it happened. How would you know its dead if you didn't stop?

Being killed by flying hooves is not a little over the top, many people are severely injured from deer hooves- have you ever seen or touched a deer hoof- I have, and I can say they are incredibly sharp (for scrapping up the ground). Also, many people also get injured (sometimes killed) from bucks charging them and stabbing them to death with their antlers and kicking them with their hooves! Here in Wisconsin, where IRescue and I live, deer are an extreme danger...they are EVERYWHERE here...I live in the middle of a large town (population 30,000) and they come into the city limits and eat plants right out of peoples back yards (including ours). Deer are rather dumb when it comes to cars, ever heard of the term "deer in the headlights", they freeze and stare at your car- most of the time they do not get out of the way. Avoiding a deer is not always possible, if you are on a small country road- you may not be able to swerve due to a steep ditch or oncoming traffic, if someone is right behind you they could rear end you since you stopped abruptly. I am sorry, but I much rather have the animal die than people- if the deer can get away uninjured fantastic- but sometimes that just doesn't happen. Fact of life. I have not hit a deer yet, and I don't hope I do, because it will most likely come through the windshield and kill me (depending on speed) since I am in a tiny car. My dad has hit many deer, all of which died- but they did not go to waste, they were salvageable so we kept them to eat. There is one little country highway (HWY C) that I have to take to go to our cabin and back, when I was coming back home Monday night I counted 43 deer, no joke, that ran in front of me- I almost hit 6 of them, but thankfully I was able to slam on the brakes and swerve since there was no traffic.

This may be a little graphic for some, but it just goes to show what a deer can do- I would not be suprised if that driver was killed (but I think they lived). This was in Minnesota, another heavily deer populated area like Wisconsin. http://community.webshots.com/photo/51416315/51416315cnSHWk

I am sorry you have to deal with this IRescue, try not to get too stressed out!

CagneyDog
11-24-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm well aware that deer can kill people but where did I say that she should get out of her car and go stand beside it? I asked if she stopped and saw that it was dead. Thats all, the doesn't even neccesarily mean she stopped and got out of the car. :rolleyes:

they are EVERYWHERE here...I live in the middle of a large town (population 30,000) and they come into the city limits and eat plants right out of peoples back yards (including ours

They do that here all the time too.

areias
11-24-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm well aware that deer can kill people but where did I say that she should get out of her car and go stand beside it? I asked if she stopped and saw that it was dead. Thats all, the doesn't even neccesarily mean she stopped and got out of the car. :rolleyes:

You know if its dead...you just know. Especially if its hit head on, it's either dead or close to death...

Vette
11-24-2005, 05:34 PM
My brother hit a deer with his car. lucily he wasnt going all that fast,, and didnt do too much damnage to him or the car. but the deer didnt feather too well.

and after my came home and told us about it,, and after curseing for an hour and a half.. he admited he felt bad for the deer.

jackie
11-24-2005, 06:15 PM
IRescue452, I am so glad you are ok, and I hope this doesn't stress you out too much.

(((Hugs)))

IRescue452
11-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Well, I had stopped. I was on the shoulder in an instant. I had my roommate behind me and she stopped and used her phone to callad report it, which apparently we didn't need to do since I can't claim insurance. Anyway, I saw it was dead on the other side and while we were stopped some guy stopped and asked if we were going to claim it, I said no so I think he did for the meat. I had to stop anyway so she could drive in front of me with headlights.

cyber-sibes
11-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Hitting a deer - that must have been very frightening! I worry about it all the time because I live in the country. Especially in the fall during hunting season, I see them racing across fields. Fortunately I've never hit one, I know I'd feel bad about it. Heck, I feel bad when I run over some poor little creature's remains that have been there for days! Not sure what the answer is, but far too many animals get killed by cars. (including my beloved Rosie :( )

JenBKR
11-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I can't believe some of the responses you have gotten :( When I hit a deer years ago of course I was sad over the deer, but I was a poor college student too and couldn't afford to fix my car. Some people must not have to worry about money. Must be nice. I see deer all the time on the road, especially this time of year. I personally think it's good to have hunters (my husband and father hunt) to control the population - otherwise we would be overrun with deer. When you live in Pennsylvania (and many other parts of the country) where the roads wind all over the place, you'll go around a bend many times to see a deer standing in the middle of the road. There's not much you can do, and it's pretty upsetting.