PDA

View Full Version : Donate or not

Pawsitive Thinking
11-23-2005, 03:58 AM
I am currently thinking of donating tissue (brain, spinal cord) to the Parkinson's Disease Society on my death and am curious to know what others think of organ donation and if any of you carry cards

Sorry if the topic is a bit gruesome for you but I value your opinions

finn's mom
11-23-2005, 04:25 AM
I'm an organ donor. I don't carry a special card, but, it's on my driver's license that I am.

jenluckenbach
11-23-2005, 04:57 AM
I am also an organ donor. It is noted on my driver's license.

I truly believe in this cause. Science has advanced to the point of being able to use this resourse but without willing participants the knowledge goes to waste. :(

catnapper
11-23-2005, 06:23 AM
I am definately an organ donor! I forgot to check the box this year when I went to renew my driver's license and I forgot to check the box for organ donor, and my hubby said "you forgot to check the box!" (over here in the US, our drivers licenses say that we are organ donors so in case of a life treatening accident they can start preparing our bodies for trandsplanting organs before family members, etc give them permission: we already gave them permission by claiming to be an organ donor on our licenses)

Pawsitive Thinking
11-23-2005, 06:52 AM
over here in the US, our drivers licenses say that we are organ donors so in case of a life treatening accident they can start preparing our bodies for trandsplanting organs before family members, etc give them permission: we already gave them permission by claiming to be an organ donor on our licenses

That is such a good idea, providing your next of kin know your wishes it must save a lot of heartache for them. Over here its more a case of "sorry, there's nothing we could do and can we have the bits they no longer need"

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-23-2005, 06:59 AM
I am a donor! They may "take" anything they want, no limit. To me it would be an honour if parts of my body can save another human! :)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-23-2005, 08:00 AM
I am a donor! They may "take" anything they want, no limit. To me it would be an honour if parts of my body can save another human! :)
I agree. I don't have it on my license that I am a doner (though I wish I did). Justin and my parents know that I want anything donated that can be used.
My grandma died of cancer, it was a very rapidly growing cancer that basically consumed her body. She wanted to donate anything that she could, sadly the only thing that could be donated was her eyes. She died at age 58, but she had perfect eyesite and was happy to have her eyes given to someone who needed them.

JenBKR
11-23-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm a donor also. It's on my driver's license :)

moosmom
11-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Absolutely!! I've been a donor for years on my driver's license. I'm also going to look into donating my body to the UConn Medical School. Whatever I can do to help someone once I'm gone is okay in my book!

Samantha Puppy
11-23-2005, 08:33 AM
It's noted that I am a donor on my license as well. They can take anything from me so long as it isn't visible from the outside - which means that my entire body cannot and willnot be donated to science. Just whatever organ may match someone in need.

moosmom
11-23-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm going to be cremated, so it doesn't matter what I look like. Besides, once I reach the "human bridge" I'll be whole and healthy again anyway.

ramanth
11-23-2005, 08:41 AM
I don't carry a card but I want to be an organ donor and Andy and my parents know and understand my wishes. :)

slick
11-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, I'm a donor too and I think it is the most selfless thing we can do for each other. In BC it's different. We don't carry around a card...but we must register through the BC Transplant Society. In the event of my death, my family members will make sure my wishes are carried out.

Karen
11-23-2005, 08:56 AM
I am an organ donor - whatever they want, I figure even myopic, astigmatic eyesight is better than none at all!

anna_66
11-23-2005, 09:16 AM
I am also a donor and it is noted on my drivers license. I'm going to be cremated so whatever they need they can take.

Felix
11-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Oh boy where do I start.here it goes.

My brother and his wife became pregnant.Than out came a bouncing,but NOT healthy baby boy.My sweet nephew Bradley they named him.He was born on March 25,1997 and passed on June 15,2000.He was born with a heart condition which they attempted to correct all the days of his life.He under went 3 major surgerys to try to correct the problem.But they just prolonged his life.His last resort was a heart transplant.Whch he waited almost a year for,but never came in time.My sweet baby boy passed waiting on a organ.Here is a link you can read up on it.http://www.thestar.com/cgi-bin/star_static.cgi?section=life&page=/Specials/life_row/1.htmlThere is now an empty space in my heart that never will be filled again.All I have are precious memories.

So like most people,I didnt realize the importance of organ donation until it hit home.Now today all my family and friends know that I wish to donate my organs.

Please consider your options.http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/Felixsookie/images7.jpg

Here is a photo of me and Bradley on his 2nd birthday in the Hospital For Sick Children in Toronto,Ontario.I spent alot of those 3 short years living at that hospital and flying back and forth from Newfoundland & Toronto.Staying for months on end.I put my life on hold to try and better theres,and I would'nt of changed a thing.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/Felixsookie/MeBradley.jpg

Laura's Babies
11-23-2005, 09:35 AM
I am too and it is on my DL also....

Let me telll you this.. One of the saddest day we had at the hospital where Eddie is, was when a young Coast Guard guy had been hit by a car. The halls and waiting room filled with his Coast Guard friends, openly standing around crying. I think there was little hope for the young man. The morning after he was brought in, they were all called into a meeting room and we knew what they meant. These grown young men and women in uniform came out of the room bawling like babies so we knew he had died. They stay the rest of the day and we all wondered why so I asked one of them. This young man had donated his organs and his friends would not leave him unitl they were done and his body could be taken away..

On the other side of the story. There was a man and his wife there as long as we had been there, found out they had been there since Febuary. Their son got some kind of virus at the age of 14 and it attacked his heart. He had to have a heart transplant or he would die so he got a new heart.. (NOT the Coast Guards guys, this happened before that guy had his accident) But this boy is alive today because someone made that decision to donate their organs. I am sure he has had a birthday by now that he wouldn't have had without a new heart and is now 15 years old.

We would see people running throught the halls up there all the time with ice coolers with "Human Organ" written on it. There are a LOT of lives saved today due to donations like that. My one regret in my (middle) son's death is that no one asked me if I was willing to donate his organs. I thought about it after we had buried him but, I KNOW I would have felt his death improved someone elses life and been proud of that. (Back in the early 80's organ donation was not that widely talked about or important)

kuhio98
11-23-2005, 09:59 AM
I also have it noted on my driver's license that I am an organ donor and I have a "Living Will" that states I am an organ donor and that I do not want to be kept alive on machines if I am an in a coma.

emily_the_spoiled
11-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Having worked in a hospital and with the transplant teams, my driver's license is definitely checked for donation!! I have seen many wonderful things happen because of the generiousity of strangers.

I have also made it very clear to all my friends and family that is what I want.

Corinna
11-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I have it on my license also a notirzed note in my wallet signed by 2 witnesses (my faimly) that way if family can't get there to sign there is no delay and the parts needed spoil. If you don't have a directive they can't do anything with out a family siggy. Also if any member says no it can cause problems that could up hold the harvesting. Please if we learned any thing from The Terry Savio case it's paperwork every where ,On you with a lawyer and make sure your family all knows and it has been witnessed but others that they Know.

poofy
11-23-2005, 10:39 AM
I want to be a doner, will put it on my license next year.. I dont care of the take the whole hull, im going to a better place..woopie..whats left is nothing to me, but might help others.. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Yep, me too. I have it noted on my driver's license, on my Living Will and Power of Attorney for Health Care and anywhere else I could write it down. I've also contacted the University of Wisconsin to donate my body, but there might not be much left after they take all the organs. I also marked any and every organ they need, they can take.

My best friend's sister died a few years ago of a brain aneuryism (sp?). The entire family was there at the time and they were asked if they wished to donate her organs. She had had a rough time of things with the aneuryism and my friend said her sister went through hell in the last few hours of her life, so they decided to not donate because they would have had to keep her body "alive" until they got all the organs, and the family didn't want her to suffer anymore than she already had. I was extremely disappointed because here was a healthy (except for the aneuryism) young 30 something who could have helped so many other lives. I could understand the family not wanting her to suffer anymore, but why make her death be in vain, why not help someone else out?

I think the keeping the body "alive" while they harvest the organs is maybe what turns a lot of people off, but it's necessary to make sure the organs are still operable. And besides, the way I look at it, once I'm dead and my spirit is gone, my body is just a shell so why waste anything that might be recycled from it? ;)

Edwina's Secretary
11-23-2005, 11:02 AM
I am a listed donor. What possible use is the stuff to me after I am gone?

gemini9961
11-23-2005, 04:20 PM
In order to be an organ donor, you have to be declared brain dead by 2 doctor's. You will be on a ventilator to keep your organs functioning. If you were to die in a car accident then you will not be a organ donor. You could possibly still donate bone, skin, eyes but no organs. You will be kept alive by the ventilator on your way to the OR. They will then take your organs out, biopsy them, make sure they are suitable. When they cross clamp your heart, that's when you are cardiac dead, remember you are already brain dead at this point. In some cases they will do a rapid recovery if you cardiac die, but in these cases you will not be donating too many organs. Your family will have to go through a lot of questions and the organ procurement organization (these are the ones that procure the organs) will run a lot of tests on you and your body to make sure you are suitable. Your family may want to donate everything but once they actually get you into the OR and inspect your organs, they may decide they are not that suitable and not use them for transplant. In our area if you are a registered donor, that's good, but our organ people will still ask the family for permission. If you do indeed want to donate, you need to let your family know and make them understand how important it is to you, because ultimately it will be up to them.

cocker_luva
11-23-2005, 07:22 PM
i am gonna donate anything and everything usable when i die. i also donated blood once, i wont again. but thats a different story. im glad to help.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Wow! I'm going to fill in the form tonight! If I can play a small part in trying to find a cure for Parkinson's and spare just one family the agony mine went through with my Dad then I'll be a happy bunny.

Thanks for all your input and inspiration

Pawsitive Thinking
11-25-2005, 03:56 AM
My form goes in the post tonight!

dukedogsmom
11-25-2005, 04:42 AM
I'm an organ donor, also. I figure I'm not going to need my body when it gets to that point so might as well help someone else.

Felix
11-25-2005, 09:10 AM
My form goes in the post tonight!

Thats such great news :D Welcome to the donor club ;) :D

Pawsitive Thinking
11-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Thats such great news :D Welcome to the donor club ;) :D

Thanks - it was the right decision to make :D