PDA

View Full Version : Digi camera help please....

k9krazee
11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Okay, I was browsing through Wal*Mart's Nov. 25th sale thingermerbobber and I stumbled across a digi camera...

Right now I have a Kodak EasyShare camera that gets the job done but is not too good...at all. I want something better and I've seen past threads like this that everyone usually recommends Canons. In the future I really really want a GOOD digi camera but for the time being, I really can't spend more than $100-$150 and this one is only $98!!!!!

Anywho...details...Its an...

HP PhotoSmart E317
5 mega pixels
4x digital zoom
15 in color LCD
$98

The one I have now is 3 MP and 3x zoom...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/hp_e317frontback-001.jpg

Does anyone have one of these....??.....any information would be GREATLY appreciated!! :D

buckner
11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
If HP cameras are anything like the HP computers, I'd recommend not getting one. Hehe, it may get the job done, but I think you'll be disappointed in the long wrong. My uncle has an HP digital camera; I was playing around with it one day and I did not like it at ALL!!

What's wrong with your Kodak? There is one at Wal-mart for cheap, I believe, and it's a decent camera, considering it's a Kodak.

Good luck with your choice! I've got a FujiFinePix that I LOVE to pieces, so I don't know what to recommend without being a bit biased. ;)

EDIT: I noticed that camera is a 4x digital zoom. Look at the optical zoom - what's the OPTICAL ZOOM on it? That's what you want. A digital zoom is just like taking a small picture and blowing it up - it really loses its quality!

k9krazee
11-22-2005, 03:46 PM
What's wrong with your Kodak?

We have two Kodak cameras...one is a Cx6200, not sure of the other one. You can't take photos up close, it always turns out blurry and it really stinks with the zooming...Its okay but its getting older and the battery compartment broke. I just want something thats a bit higher quality I guess.

Edit: It says in the ad 4x digital zoom and on a website 5x optical zoom :confused:

Oops, edit again, lol...a different site says 4x zoom (1x optical /4x digital)

PJ's Mom
11-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I have a similar HP camera and I thought it was good until I got my Canon. One thing I can tell you is that HP cameras are known to be battery eaters. Plan on using a lot of them. (Of course rechargeables are the way to go.) :)

poofy
11-22-2005, 04:25 PM
my sister bought one of those new and gave it to me, I gave it to my daughter..its all she has but :rolleyes:

Randi
11-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Here's the specifications on the camera you're thinking of buying: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/HP/hp_e317.asp

I have an Olympus 5060 and I'm quite content. :) There are later models out, though.

Glacier
11-22-2005, 04:42 PM
I have an Olympus 5060 and I'm quite content. :) There are later models out, though.

I have the same camera. I love it! I plan to move up to a digital SLR next, but that won't be for awhile yet.

My Mom has an HP digital. She hates it and 99% of the time she still shoots with her film Olympus. The HP is not very user friendly.

edited to add:
I think the Olympus C series has come down in price alot. My first digital was an Olympus C-50. We paid a ridiculous amount of money for it at the time. It still works, still takes great pics, I just upgraded. I can not say enough good things about that camera. I beat the beejuzus out of it--dropped it in the snow, carried in my pocket at -40C, Pingo stole it once and hid it in her doghouse for days, got water on it while paddling, dropped it, banged it around, you name I did it to that camera. It never missed a shot, never needed any repairs! I still carry it when I want a pocket sized camera

Uabassoon
11-22-2005, 04:50 PM
I had one of the older models. It worked... but that was about it. If you already have a decent camera I wouldn't spend money on this one.

RedHedd
11-22-2005, 04:52 PM
I had an HP and it was good, but slow and only had digital zoom - I didn't know anything about digicams when I bought it; it was my starter cam. It was slow and clunky, but a real workhorse and produced really good pictures. The software is easy to use too. It lasted until I dropped it at Niagara Falls and discovered they didn't make the parts anymore.

It's been replaced by a Canon which I LOVE. The Canon has all kinds of controls that I'm just starting to play around with, including optical zoom. Shop around for the day after Thanksgiving deals - there will be TONS. I bought my Canon at Circuit City on sale for about $180.

Randi
11-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Glacier, I'm finally finding out about the features, but still ..... ;) Did you get a CD with it, with a "manual" of how to use it?

Glacier
11-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Glacier, I'm finally finding out about the features, but still ..... ;) Did you get a CD with it, with a "manual" of how to use it?

I did, but I never got much use out of the cd. I took it to work and printed off the entire thing! It fills a large binder! I use the printed version more, but really just playing with is how I figured out most of the features.

Randi
11-22-2005, 05:01 PM
I must try to find that CD! I 'll have to search - could you send me picture of what the other "manual" looks like? ;)

Glacier
11-22-2005, 05:14 PM
I must try to find that CD! I 'll have to search - could you send me picture of what the other "manual" looks like? ;)

Check your PM box!

Jessika
11-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah the two brands I actually DO NOT recommend for digital cameras are Kodak and HP cameras.

Really for the price/quality ratio, your best bet is to get a Canon PowerShot. ;)

Giselle
11-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Hehe, well, I'm not sure if this was mentioned before....but you claim you cannot take close-up pictures because they turn out blurry. Do you have the Macro setting turned on? It looks like a little flower. Without the MACRO setting, you usually won't get a good close up ;)

Edited to add: When it comes to cameras, I'm a diehard Canon fan, although Sony Cybershots take REALLY nice pictures! I'm not a fan of Sony, however, so I have not bought any of their cameras. But I do play with other's Sony Cybershot cameras and the pictures turn out amazingly well.

poofy
11-22-2005, 08:29 PM
I guess im easy to satisfy, I love my Kodak..lol.. :D

anna_66
11-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I seen this camera when I was shopping for a small one to keep in my purse. I'd suggest saving your money for a better camera or looking for last years model of one you like that's more expensive.
I got a really good price on my Cannon PowerShot SD110 Elph. It was regularly $250 but since it was last years model I got it for $129! It pays to shop around;)

.powerful
11-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I am not a canon fan. I'd reccomend a Nikon. I used to have a Nikon Coolpix before I upgraded, it was a good little camera and I think that would be the kind of think you're looking for.

sammy101
11-22-2005, 11:47 PM
I'd reccomend a Nikon. I used to have a Nikon Coolpix before I upgraded, it was a good little camera and I think that would be the kind of think you're looking for.

my dad has that camera.It is a pretty good camera.We've had it for about 3 years now. I have a 6.1 megapixel Olympus,good camera so far :) I'm not sure how much it is though,my parents ordered it with reward points.

Anita Cholaine
11-23-2005, 11:03 AM
I never had an HP or a Kodak camera, but I think that if you already have a decent camera, maybe you should wait until you're able to buy a better one.

I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P93. It has 5.1 megapixels, and 3x of optical zoom. We bought it last year, andI'm really happy with it.....

k9krazee
11-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Hehe, well, I'm not sure if this was mentioned before....but you claim you cannot take close-up pictures because they turn out blurry. Do you have the Macro setting turned on? It looks like a little flower. Without the MACRO setting, you usually won't get a good close up ;)

I'm pretty sure my Kodak doesn't have a Macro setting, that was one of the reasons I was drawn to the HP, it is roughly the same price as my Kodak but has a few extra features like movie w/ sound and macro setting.

I think I will wait to get a better camera, I was just hoping to get a little better one for Christmas and use it until I'm out of college or something and look for something higher quality.

Jessika
11-23-2005, 02:50 PM
My canon has an EXCELLENT Macro setting. It's amazing really. :o You can take a look at some of my photography taken with my Canon here: http://dontstay.zoto.com/user/lightbox/CAT.24/date-desc/0-30

I LOVE the color I get with mine. It's beautiful :o

Anita Cholaine
11-23-2005, 03:22 PM
OMG, Jessika, I love your pics!!!

I think my next camera will be a Canon, everybody says they are the best cameras, and i believe it: about 15 years ago, my dad bought a Canon camcorder, and it was so good!!! We have all the videos we recorded with it, and they are all fantastic....

k9krazee
11-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Jessika,Those are some really nice pictures!! What kind of camera do you have?? How much did it cost and how long have you had it?

I really want a good quality camera and I've decided not to get the HP and do some shopping around instead but I'm lost at where to begin, there are soo many different cameras out there!!

Jessika
11-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Jessika,Those are some really nice pictures!! What kind of camera do you have?? How much did it cost and how long have you had it?

My exact model is a Canon PowerShot A300. About three years old and the model has since been retired, but you can still find them online for around $100. :) Though if you're willing to spend about $200, you can find Canon PowerShots that are even newer/better than the one I have!!