PDA

View Full Version : problem with norton anti virus, help please if you can :)

finn's mom
11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
If someone has any idea what I can do to fix this...please, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's what happens.

I turn my computer on. And, I get a pop up that says my norton anti virus is not on. I need to restart my computer. So I do. Still get the same message. So, I did a system restore, and, that didn't help. When I go to norton anti virus, it says it's on, but, that the virus definitions need to be updated. So, I update. But, the update finishes before it is complete and gives me this message "LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec product and component updates. Please verify that you are able to connect to the Internet and run LiveUpdate again."

Which, I can obviously connect to the internet because I'm on Pet Talk. BUT...I can't check my yahoo...it let's me get to the sign up page, but, I type my id and password in, and, I get page cannot be displayed. I get that when I try to get into my banking account online, too. I also got it when I was attempting to buy a new norton anti virus download online. I got up to the "continue to checkout" and got that page cannot be displayed. I also get it any time I try to go to help and support. I can't even get to the symantec website to get a phone number, and, norton is their program.

So, if nothing else, can someone go to that site and post the phone number for me? I tried Dell, and, of course, it costs $100 just to talk to someone. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm planning just to take the computer to Best Buy here this evening if I can't fix this myself. I'm not a computer person at all, but, I knew to try to the system restore. That's about as far as my knowledge goes, though.

Thanks guys, I'm just a little lost. :)

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Sorry but I'm not of any help, except I have norton here, if you need any phone numbers let me know I'll look them up for you.

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 02:12 PM
1-800-441-7234 is there USA cust. support #.

finn's mom
11-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Sorry but I'm not of any help, except I have norton here, if you need any phone numbers let me know I'll look them up for you.

Yeah, just a technical support or customer care or something...I can't even get to the symantec website. :) And, I think the program came with the computer, and I don't think we have a booklet or papers or anything...I looked through norton itself, too, but, when I try to click on help and support, I can't get to it. :)

finn's mom
11-22-2005, 02:14 PM
1-800-441-7234 is there USA cust. support #.

Thank you, I'll try that! :)

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Thats the cust. serv. #, for technical support (or at least what I have found so far) is that you have to talk live with them via the net... except people who have problems like you can't do that. :mad: I hate it when they do that.

If you need to, I can get tech. support on my comp & we can communicate here (or IM if you can access it) & you can tell me what you want me to ask them.

finn's mom
11-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Thats the cust. serv. #, for technical support (or at least what I have found so far) is that you have to talk live with them via the net... except people who have problems like you can't do that. :mad: I hate it when they do that.

If you need to, I can get tech. support on my comp & we can communicate here (or IM if you can access it) & you can tell me what you want me to ask them.

I'm on the phone right now, waiting for someone to pick up...but, how long will you be online? That would be awesome if it comes to that. :)

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I'll be online till 5. Except I have to run out for about 5 minutes right now. I'll be right back though!

finn's mom
11-22-2005, 02:19 PM
I'll be online till 5. Except I have to run out for about 5 minutes right now. I'll be right back though!

Ok, thank you!

Miss Z
11-22-2005, 02:21 PM
i have norton anti virus and i keep getting pop-ups saying that it's not up to date. sorry can't be of any help on this one.

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 02:21 PM
OK I'm back already

finn's mom
11-22-2005, 02:45 PM
i have norton anti virus and i keep getting pop-ups saying that it's not up to date. sorry can't be of any help on this one.

Yeah, I get those all the time, asking if you want to update or wait, and you can choose how many days or whatever...is that what you're talking about? this is definitely different. It straight out tells me in the warning that "norton anti virus auto protect driver could not be loaded. Your system isn't protected from viruses. Please restart your computer." It's definitely not a daily thing. ;) And, don't worry about not being able to help, I'm just glad I got a phone number! ALthough, due to high call volume because of some new virus, I'm still waiting. :) But, that's ok, I have all day.

Edwina's Secretary
11-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I have been trying to resolve this same problem for the last four hours. It is on just one of my computers. I have restarted, enabled, disenabled, run a whole scan and everything else I could think of doing.

Now it shows enabled and the pop up is gone. I still have not been able to get to my email.

Let us know what you find out about this.....

finn's mom
11-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I have been trying to resolve this same problem for the last four hours. It is on just one of my computers. I have restarted, enabled, disenabled, run a whole scan and everything else I could think of doing.

Now it shows enabled and the pop up is gone. I still have not been able to get to my email.

Let us know what you find out about this.....

Yeah, it's really frustrating. I've been on the phone this whole time...ever since lv4dogs gave me the number. I've been choosing options every so often...narrowing it down...hopefully, I'll get someone soon. It's so funny, too, no one has called the house in like two days. Now, since I've been on the phone with this symantec thing, I've received five calls. Sheesh. I'm not getting off this phone for anything, though! :)

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 03:07 PM
You still haven't even spoke to anyone yet? Geesh I hate that.

Edwina's Secretary
11-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Mine seems okay now but a little slow. The last thing I did was go to the Norton status page....turn everything off and back on and get the updates. Then I turned the computer off again and when it restarted I was back in business.

Must be a problem with Norton if it is taking so long to get help.

Laura's Babies
11-22-2005, 03:28 PM
I had Norton (notice I used the word HAD?) and I constantly had exactly that same kind of problem with it (FOR YEARS!) .. I finally got tired of messing with it, trying to fix it and now have Avast and am problem free. No more hours wasted trying to fix what I figure is a built in flaw.

Avast is FREE! A deputy sherriff told me about it, he has used it problem free for ages.. http://avast.com/ The home version is free, they make their money selling it to professionals.

finn's mom
11-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Well, I'm good. It only took about five minutes once I got through to someone. :) Thanks, lv4dogs, very much...for getting that phone number! :) The guy was awesome!

momoffuzzyfaces
11-22-2005, 03:44 PM

Let us know what you find out about this.....Sara, is your email working now?

Mine has quit! and the server people don't know what is wrong.

I've not had problems with the pop up thingy!

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm glad I could help! I'm glad they helped you!!!!

Edwina's Secretary
11-22-2005, 03:49 PM
MOFF...my email is working now but VERY slow to load. I have been having a problem with "reply" and using my address book. But that has been for a while and only when I am on this computer. So annoying!

momoffuzzyfaces
11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
MOFF...my email is working now but VERY slow to load. I have been having a problem with "reply" and using my address book. But that has been for a while and only when I am on this computer. So annoying!
Mine was working fine but now I get an error message that says "server has disconnected the connection" or something like that. It doesn't even bring the mail down before it disconnects. My provider did say they were getting lots of calls so maybe it's them.

It's just odd it happened right after Norton did an update.

poofy
11-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I got rid of norton and got the free AVG..no problems in the last couple of years I have had that..whew..catches the baddies to..I ran it and norton and mccaffie and threw some virues at it and avg caught some that the others didnt or caught them first.. ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
11-22-2005, 05:13 PM
My email just came back up. Must have been my server!

Laura's Babies
11-22-2005, 05:37 PM
I wonder if there wasn't a problem with the internet everywhere today... This morning it took so long for everything to load that I just gave up trying to look at anything on PT or anywhere else. I was ready to call my ISP but tried my laptop and it acted the same so I knew it was a internet problem, not a computer problem with my PC...

momoffuzzyfaces
11-22-2005, 06:19 PM
My IP put a note on their home page that a new worm has been detected today. That must be why Norton did updates on my system and may be why there has been so many problems today.
You can read about it here
http://home.terraworld.net/

lizbud
02-24-2006, 05:16 PM

I bumped up an old thread to ask if everyone using Norton AntiVirus
did find a solution to the problems? Just today I started to get an error
message that says "there is a problem with your license for this product"

This was just installed in December & is not expired. Anyone get this
kind of message before? If you did, how did you fix it?

DugansDad
02-24-2006, 09:05 PM
If you diabled Norton, you should still be able to access the Internet. When you get "can't be displayed", it is server issues. It sounds like a server problem. Our Cable DSL says in their ads that we should be able to get 3.4Mbps downloads, but technical says that the lines are overcrowded so that will never happen. When I worked tech support for HP the main issue with Norton was when people installed programs, Norton would block specific files needed to run the program during installation. We reccomended that they disable Norton, then install program then enable Norton again. Usually no problem then.

dukedogsmom
02-25-2006, 12:55 AM
I got rid of norton and got the free AVG..no problems in the last couple of years I have had that..whew..catches the baddies to..I ran it and norton and mccaffie and threw some virues at it and avg caught some that the others didnt or caught them first.. ;)
I've got AVG, too. It's great! I don't like Norton. I used to think it was the best out there. I've also gor Microsoft's beta anti virus protection.

Kfamr
02-25-2006, 04:02 AM
Same thing happened to my computer the last time I had computer problems. It started off doing it once in a while, then all the time, and then I ended up having to re-do my whole computer. I now use McAfee and probably will never think of using POS Norton again. :p

Vette
02-25-2006, 05:20 AM
I have issues with my stupid Norton too.
it blocks everything. (or so it seems) and i have to disable its dumb butt in order to install stuff.

and i have gotten that message a couple times upon turning my computer on,, but all i did was run a virus scan and it quit popping that message up from then on out.

i wish you the best of luck with yours. :D

lizbud
02-25-2006, 08:47 AM
I called the number for Norton that someone had posted previously.
After I explained that I followed the online "fix" by uninstalling and then
re-installing and still got the error message. The Tech Rep told me that
Norton is experiencing a lot of this technical glitch & they are working to
solve this problem.They said wait 24 hrs & call back if it still does it. :mad:

Somehow knowing that a lot of other people also are experiencing this
same problem, does not make me feel any better. :confused:

trayi52
02-25-2006, 09:51 AM
I am having the problem that when I install the updates, I cannot get mail from my outlook to download. So what is with that? Anybody know how to fix that?? I have to go back and do a system restore, and get rid of the update, and then I keep having to saying no to the update. Thinking about getting rid of Nortons all together! But I need something that will get rid of Popups. Anybody got any suggestions? Help!!!!

Willie

lizbud
02-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I am using Norton AntiVirus 2005 with no problems.

Let's do a little trouble shooting. Those with problems, which product are you using??

I'm using Norton AntiVirus 2006 Techcenter Edition.

p.s. The thick accents of both people I talked to makes it VERY hard to
understand what they are saying.I had to repeat back to them what they
were trying to say to me. :rolleyes:

poofy
02-25-2006, 11:12 AM
I am having the problem that when I install the updates, I cannot get mail from my outlook to download. So what is with that? Anybody know how to fix that?? I have to go back and do a system restore, and get rid of the update, and then I keep having to saying no to the update. Thinking about getting rid of Nortons all together! But I need something that will get rid of Popups. Anybody got any suggestions? Help!!!!

Willie

I use avg free..no probs and get updates free ...it keeps itself updated ..
as far as pop up what windows system are you using..if your using winxp..it has a popup stopper and if you use a third party one..you wont be able to access your pages..from what i have experenced..but there are a lot of pop up programs out there..I onlyhave pop up problems on certain sites..not that many..My sister uses Norton, but she rarely uses her computer so no prob..lol..but most of the people i know quit using it at some point and went to avg..hope you get help.. :)

moosmom
02-25-2006, 02:01 PM
I had problems with Norton Anti-Virus and Microsoft. Someone finally told me about www.spybotsearch.com

Just go into it and follow the prompts!! ;)