PDA

View Full Version : Are you working on Thanksgiving?

Uabassoon
11-21-2005, 10:07 PM
I was just curious to see if anyone else will be working this Thanksgiving.

I requested to work because I enjoy the extra holiday pay :D However I'm only working 5 hours from 4:45 a.m. until 9:45 a.m. so I will still have plenty of time to enjoy the day with Alexa's family.

At our store we had people that were actually sad that they weren't schedualed to work the holiday!

So, if you are working did you choose to work the holdiay?

Cincy'sMom
11-21-2005, 10:55 PM
I don't think I have ever worked on Thanksgiving. I used to work retail, so I worked the day after, but since I graduated college, the companies I have worked for have always been closed for Thanksgiving and the Friday after. The past few years I have started taken vacation that week..use three days, and get a week off (or this year, use 9 days, and get 17 off!) Works great for me!!

Jessika
11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Well I don't have a job now but if I were still with my old job (PetCo) they give Thanksgiving off :)

Which I WILL be back there working next month for Christmas. So I'm very excited about that!

Laura's Babies
11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
I am off this year for Thanksgiving but will work Christmas and New Years.... Double pay both days... I can handle that!! $$$$$$

Uabassoon
11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
We do close early for Thanksgiving, but I think people would be very angry if they couldn't get their Starbucks in the morning. My customers are a bunch of addicts!

Uabassoon
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
I am off this year for Thanksgiving but will work Christmas and New Years.... Double pay both days... I can handle that!! $$$$$$

We actually have a lottery for people wanting to work on Christmas! Only one store in the district is open and everyone who wants to work gets their name put in a drawing. The main reason why people want to work that day is because aside from the holiday pay tips are always amazing on Christmas. I however will be in Texas celebrating with my family :D

dukedogsmom
11-21-2005, 11:42 PM
I had no choice. Hopefully, people will be too full to argue. However, they'll also probably be too drunk. We're having finger foods at work since we don't have to come in until the evening.

krazyaboutkatz
11-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I never work on Thanksgiving and I also have the next day off too. I'm looking forward to having a nice relaxing 4 day weekend. :D

tomkatzid
11-22-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm only working Monday and Tuesday of this week. In a hotel, I've had to put in holidays for years. Now at 25 years, I'm off. !! But to get the holidays off I take vacation days. Tom has it off every year and all the holidays !!
Katz

jenluckenbach
11-22-2005, 05:13 AM
I have off because the shop is closed.

joycenalex
11-22-2005, 06:05 AM
the hospital is 24/7/365, and while i have the day off, i'm working wednesday and friday, both traditionally busy for us. the cooks at the hospital do a great setup and the patients and staff are well fed. no-one wants to be with us, but someones' gotta be there.... ;) . i feel for the cops, firefighters and ems, they got it a lot harder

Cookiebaker
11-22-2005, 06:56 AM
I have the day off!!! :D And the best part is that it is a paid day off :)

catnapper
11-22-2005, 07:21 AM
No, I never worked Thanksgiving. My MIL used to waitress and she'd purposefully work Thanksgiving and all other holidays. Man, the tips she got on just one holiday shift was like all the tips in one WEEK of regular days. She used to work all day then come to our house and we'd have a big thanksgiving meal together. I miss her, she passed away 4 years ago.

davidpizzica
11-22-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm laid off and collecting unemployment so I definitely have thanksgiving off!

king2005
11-22-2005, 08:18 AM
all retail is closed for Canadian Thanksgiving (back in Oct). Unless there are animals or people to care for, no one works on Holidays here.

ramanth
11-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Cooley is closed Thanksgiving and the day after so I get a 4 day weekend! :D

Andy's job is closed on Thanksgiving but he's working Friday for double pay.

Cataholic
11-22-2005, 08:21 AM
We do close early for Thanksgiving, but I think people would be very angry if they couldn't get their Starbucks in the morning. My customers are a bunch of addicts!

Good thing you are in AZ and I am in OH...or we would be fightin' right about now...... :D

Addicts. Whatever. :D

BitsyNaceyDog
11-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Well since I work at a pet bording facility we can't not come in for the day. We are closed to the public that day, but of corse still need to come in and care for the animals. Everyone is required to work that day, but because everyone is working we are all able to work less hours- we just added more shifts to the day.

I did request friday off though (and got it). Justin has a 4 day weekend and I wanted a day off with him.

petslover
11-22-2005, 08:29 AM
I have the rest of the week off. The office that I work in is closing today for the week so I am very proud of that. I am also out of college this week too.

.sarah
11-22-2005, 10:31 AM
I work at a vet so even when we're closed we have to have two people working to take care of the animals. Luckily we choose the holidays we work ... well, usually. Since I've worked there (1 1/2 years) I've worked every holiday except last Thanksgiving and July 4th. And that includes holidays like Memorial Day and such. But I'm only working New Years this holiday season so I'm really happy about that. I really didn't want to work Christmas!!

Flatcoatluver
11-22-2005, 02:15 PM
:( luckily i have the day off on tursday and friday but that means i have to work all day extra hours on saterday

kuhio98
11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
I used to volunteer to work Thanksgiving and Christmas so that a co-worker with children could have it off. But, it just so happens that this year, my schedule worked out that I would be home for Thanksgiving.

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Nope, no school for me! I am officially on break!!:D woohoo!!!:D And one of my best friends is coming tonight from Kansas, and I haven't seen her in almost 2 years!!!!!:eek: So I'm all ready for Thanksgiving break!;)

Lady's Human
11-24-2005, 06:35 AM
Being that I work for the USPS in a processing plant, I'm working thanksgiving day. However, that's been normal for me for the past few years. Wars don't takes holidays (the last time that happened was WW1) and I spent the last two years (Jan 03-Jan 05) training troops to go fight in Iraq. Prior to that I also worked for the USPS, and I'm the junior Technician, so I work the holidays. Maybe in about 10 years or so I'll get a holiday off.

chocolatepuppy
11-24-2005, 08:55 AM
I have Thanksgiving off. Actually I have 4 day weekend, with Thursday and Friday paid! :D

poofy
11-24-2005, 10:06 AM
When I worked I always worked holidays for extra pay..but dont work any more.. :D