PDA

View Full Version : Squid?

king2005
11-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Is any part of a squid toxic to a human??

I cleaned a box of squids today, for the guys. Now I have heads, guts & tenticles (I know the tenticles are't toxic) sitting in a bowl. If its not toxic, I plan to feed it to Axle as a snack.

PJ's Mom
11-21-2005, 11:20 PM
This is what I found:

Like all cephalopods, squids are carnivores, eating numerous species of fish, crustaceans, shellfish, and worms. Squid feed by grabbing their prey with the two tentacles. These appendages, which are usually held close to their bodies in pouchlike sacs, shoot out like harpoons, grab the prey, and pull it into their circle of arms. Many species of squid have poison glands that inject powerful neurotoxins into the prey when it is caught. Once subdued, the horny beak chops the prey up into bite-size pieces, which are rammed down the squid's throat and into its stomach with the file-like radula. Digestion is accomplished by digestive glands. Food passes into the intestine, which loops back in the body and exits as the anus near the funnel. Similar to bivalves, the squid ejects its fecal matter in the excurrent stream of its siphon.

I don't know if that helps or not, but there it is. :)

Van10
11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Ewwwww....! :eek: