PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Polar Bears

kuhio98
11-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Photo Bucket (http://photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Polar)

Some of you know that I work in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on the Arctic Ocean. A friend took many photos of some Polar Bears visiting our work facilities and I thought I'd share them with you. If I've done this right, the link above should take you to my photobucket album with the photos.

At first you see a lone male walking on the Arctic Ocean ice coming inland towards the Alaska Pipeline. Eventually, you see a man with his dog who discourages the bear from coming any closer to our living facilities. I don't know this man or his dog. My friend is the guy you don't see, taking photos of all of this.

After the lone male leaves, there are photos of a mother and cub. The mother has a radio collar on her so she can be tracked. In the last photo is a lone bear with one of our work facilities in the background.

None of the bears were hurt or stressed. You can see that they are curious but make no attempt to charge or hurt anyone. They are evidently easily discouraged by a barking dog.

I hope you enjoyed them.
Lisa

Uabassoon
11-21-2005, 07:02 PM
The link doesn't work right. It's taking me to your login page.

kuhio98
11-21-2005, 07:12 PM
The link doesn't work right. It's taking me to your login page.

Okay, I think I got if fixed. I forgot to make it a public album. Please let me know if you still can't see the photos. Thank you!

Alysser
11-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Those are great pictures. I think the dog is so cute! I've heard polar bears won't even go near dog their so scared of them. This guy my dad knows run Polar Bear tours alot in Alaska and they go out to see the Polar bears. H has to huskies(Mijo and Lila)to scare them off!

Felix
11-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Very nice photos!

slick
11-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Oh my gosh Lisa, out of all the animals in the world, Polar Bears rank in my top five. I have a Polar Bear poster on my wall at work.

Those photos are stunning and make me want to travel up there someday. I just love the one of the Mother and Cub walking side by side. So very touching. Thanks so much for sharing and for brightening up my workday.

xo

Uabassoon
11-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Those were wonderful photos! Thank you so much for sharing them. Someday I really want to travel out there.

Suki Wingy
11-21-2005, 07:56 PM
those are AMAZING! BREATHTAKING! Do you have any of them bigger so I could maybe use one as a desktop? I really want to be a zookeeper one day, and large carnivores are my FAVORITE!

anna_66
11-21-2005, 08:12 PM
WOW! Those are simply amazing! Thanks so much for sharing them with us:)

kuhio98
11-21-2005, 08:14 PM
those are AMAZING! BREATHTAKING! Do you have any of them bigger so I could maybe use one as a desktop? I really want to be a zookeeper one day, and large carnivores are my FAVORITE!
Try double-clicking on them one at a time and see if they load up big for you (they do for me). If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to e-mail them to you. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send them your way.
Lisa

CagneyDog
11-21-2005, 08:18 PM
I LOVE Polar Bears! They are such beautiful animals!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Polar/Picture092.jpg
They're so gorgeous :eek:

This must of been so amazing to see.

cyber-sibes
11-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Cool pictures (literally)! :cool: Hey, is that one of those Karelian Bear Dogs? Sure looks like one. Here's a link to pictures of them-
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&q=karelian+bear+dogs&spell=1
Man, it looks COOOOOLD where you are! Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures with us - very impressive!!!

Giselle
11-21-2005, 08:49 PM
LOL, I thought it was a Canaan dog or something. Hahaha, isn't it funny how in a thread dedicated to Polar Bear pictures, we dog owners always seem to find a way to reverberate back to the dogs? :p

Those are GORGEOUS pictures, especially in such gloomy lighting! =P I love the picture of the mother and cub that CagneyDog posted. That one caught my eye, as well. I must move up there one day...

beeniesmom
11-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Thank you for sharing those pictures.
They are all amazing. I was breathless looking at them.

poofy
11-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks so much, what a treat to be able to see beyond the front yard..lol..love them , they dont seem to be afraid of cars? thanks again.. :D

shais_mom
11-21-2005, 11:29 PM
awesome pics!

moosmom
11-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Kuhio,

What great pictures! My friend is absolutely NUTS over polar bears!

Barbara
11-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Oh my gosh Lisa, out of all the animals in the world, Polar Bears rank in my top five. I have a Polar Bear poster on my wall at work.

Those photos are stunning and make me want to travel up there someday. I just love the one of the Mother and Cub walking side by side. So very touching. Thanks so much for sharing and for brightening up my workday.

xo

Same here! I love polar bears. I am surprised that he could come that close :)

And polar bear cubs must be among the cutest ever. Ok don't think that I'm a brainless romantic- I know that they can be pretty dangerous. But I hope so much they will find enough space so that they can live and roam and fish seals and whatever.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-22-2005, 02:57 AM
OMG, those are breathtaking pics!!!
This is the sweetest pic of a polar bear I've ever see:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/beer.jpg

kimlovescats
11-22-2005, 07:24 AM
What gorgeously awesome pictures! :eek:

Kim

elizabethann
11-22-2005, 07:41 AM
WOW!!!! Those are awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing. I'd give anything to see that with my own eyes!!! Very cool!! Just like Klondike & Snow!

Killearn Kitties
11-22-2005, 07:46 AM
What fantastic pictures. Thanks so much for letting us see them!

Randi
11-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. What an experience it must have been to get that close!! :eek: :) I too love Polar bears, and have had this for years as a background on my PC.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/100best/wallpaper04.html

The one to the very left (lion), is the one I have on the Mac.

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Those photos are breathtaking! I LOVE LOVE LOVE polar bears, after all my Nanook dog was named after them! :D Nanook means polar bear in Inuit.

The cub is so cute!!! They are all so beautiful!

That sure is a sight to see. How lucky you are! I take it they are pretty easy to scare away?
Thank you for sharing them!

Anita Cholaine
11-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Great pics!!:D I love polar bears so much...

Mad Mags Moo
11-22-2005, 09:57 AM
WOW!!! Excellent photos there. Thanks for sharing them :D

sirrahbed
11-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Oh MY Lisa!! Missy and I just watched all of the photos and enjoyed them so much!! I am amazed to see that beautiful environment you work in - the things you can see each day are like a glimpse of Animal Planet and the Discovery channel :) I am always so curious about these different and exotic parts of the world and am often amazed and excited at what all my friends here at PetTalk are able to share. Thank you so much!! Those mom and cub pictures made us :D :D

I just looked up information about "Prudhoe Bay" (http://www.alaska.net/~ranger/slope/slope.htm) and found this FAQ site that talks about the area - so intriguing to me!! Lisa - you live and work in a fascinating area that most of us can only read about. The times when the sun stay up all the time...or when it does not rise...this has always been so interesting to me. But...BRRRR!!!! :eek:

gini
11-22-2005, 10:28 AM
These are wonderful pictures. I have been fortunate enough to travel to Alaska and it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

While there, I saw a mother polar bear with her two cubs. The cubs were playing and tumbling down a hill - but when Mom called them - they stopped and were by her side in a flash. They are majestic!

Ginger's Mom
11-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Thank you so much for sharing that. It really did put a huge smile on my face. Sights like that are something I can only dream about. Thanks again.

ramanth
11-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Those are amazing photos! I don't know whether the man and his dog were incredibly brave or stupid. I guess when you live around that kind of wildlife you can probably tell the signs between curiosity and agression. I'd be terrified and afraid that the bear would charge.

So glad the bears were okay and neither bear nor person were hurt. The mom and baby photos are so adorable.

lizbud
11-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Wow, fantastic pictures. :D Thanks so much for posting them. :)

kuhio98
11-22-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm glad you are enjoying them. I am lucky to have an inside job so I stay nice and warm in this Arctic environment. I don't get out much to take photos, but I'll be sure to pass along photos my co-workers take.
Lisa