PDA

View Full Version : This is going to be an interesting x-mas!

AlleyCat
11-21-2005, 10:54 AM
:eek: :eek:

(that's my definition of this kind of interesting!)

For the first time in 12 years, we have not one, not two, but THREE kitties that will be experiencing a Christmas tree for the first time! I'm almost dreading this .. The day after Thanksgiving we will put out all the x-mas decor, but we're thinking of waiting until about mid-December to put up the tree ... I don't think I need to say any more, do I ? :eek:

Lobodeb
11-21-2005, 11:33 AM
You're a brave soul!!! Given our new addition (Payton the nawtee), we are not having a tree his year.

Laura's Babies
11-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Just be sure all decorations are unbreakable and nothing you put on there in harmful to cats!! See Kristens page on that http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?t=93238 I had one BIG girl long ago that I had to tie the tree to the wall to make sure she didn't turn it over climbing it.

Try to remember how inviting a tree is to cats and not get mad when they won't leave it alone! I have stuffed small mice and yarn cats I put on my tree when I put one up so my tree is always decorated for my babies... I never put anything breakable on mine. Haven't for many years... I have always had cats! :rolleyes:

rg_girlca
11-21-2005, 01:04 PM
I wish you all the best of luck this year.
You will have to let us know how everything goes. :D

Miss Z
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Good point by Laura's Babies, Zsa-Zsa loves to destroy the bows we tie on our tree.

My rat Tia Maria will also be experiencing christmas for the first time!:D

AllAmericanPUP
11-21-2005, 02:06 PM
luckily my cats have never shown an interest in the tree for the 3 years that we have had them :)

catmandu
11-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Timber!

krazyaboutkatz
11-22-2005, 12:04 AM
I guess I'm just chicken because since I've had cats, I've never put up a Christmas tree. I can't even put up very many decorations either because Storm wants to eat everything. :eek: With Starr and Pearl now being here there's no way I'd put up a tree. Pearl's a big climber and would have the tree knocked down in a matter of minutes.LOL :)

AlleyCat
11-22-2005, 01:07 AM
It helps that our tree is fake. When our RB Rascal and still-present Onyx were tiny kittens 12 years ago they did have an avid interest in the tree, but they outgrew it quickly. I've not had young kittens again until this year (actually we did have Millie and Abby last year but we went out of town at x-mas so we didn't even bother with the tree) and this is our first x-mas in our new home so we intend to put the tree up this year, so this is new for them, plus our latest addition, Cleo. We have no breakable ornaments, but still !! I question if the tree will be standing at the end of the day :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-22-2005, 02:09 AM
It will be interesting for us too, as we have our newbie Zazou...... . She is a good climber, ....... I am touching wood....

catnapper
11-22-2005, 07:43 AM
LOL... have fun!

First things first: replace all the glass balls with the plastic ones! I did that last year, and NOBODY ever guessed they were plastic! When I put the balls on, I also pinched the wire hanger tight so the balls wouldn't get knocked off as often (they still got quite a few off, but they didn't break!

I also tied each strand of beads on with wire. So each time a bead dripped over the top of a branch, I put a little wire twist to secure it to the branch, so that little kitty paws couldn't take it off. You can use the ornament hangers, twist ties, pipe cleaners, etc.

kilbarchancats
11-22-2005, 07:51 AM
the fine sport of 'launching-from-furniture-to-grab-tinsel-draped-round-picture-frames' is widely practiced in our house over the festive season. A hotly contested event at the next Winter Catolympics, no doubt :D