PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving!!! Who's Cooking? (and what?)

christa
11-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone is cooking for Thanksgiving?!?!

Hubby and I have Thanksgiving "lunch" with his family (they have to rent an elementary school cafe, there's so many people :rolleyes: ) and then we go to my family's Thanksgiving "dinner" for "Seconds"! I usually eat more at my family's . . . because it's better and because I know who cooked what.

This year I am also going to make some things for me and him to eat here at home. Not much, just the basics.

My little menu:
Herbed Turkey Breast
Apple & Onion Stuffing
Red Potato Mashed Potatoes
and some sort of Green Beans

I was just wondering . . . do any of you cook for your entire family? What's on YOUR menu???

and anybody got any interesting green bean recipes? Looking for something different . . . not just an regular pot of green beans! :eek:

Toby's my baby
11-20-2005, 06:33 PM
At school we have cheesy greenbeans. Personally i dont like them, but some kids do! Not sure how you make htem though :o

We arent really dont anything (taht I know of) for thanksgiving. It will just be, me, my sister, my mom and dad, and my grandpa. We'll have the usual, Turkey, potatoes, baked corn, pie, cookies, and some graveys and stuff :)

petslover
11-20-2005, 06:38 PM
We are going to my cousin's house this year for Thanksgiving. I'm not sure what all they will be having. I know I always eat way to much for Thanksgiving! haha!

Karen
11-20-2005, 06:38 PM
We go to Paul's family for Thanksgiving. I'll be bringing cookies, as requested with "please a few extra" for the hostess (Paul's sister this year) to freeze afterwards.

As for green bean recipes, there's always the green bean casserole with mushroom soup and French's onion rings - the recipe's on the can. It's such a Thanksgiving standard, at least around these parts, that there's usually an entire endcap of an aisle at the supermarket with the mushroom soup, some canned green beans (though I prefer the frozen by far) and onion rings together!

lisalee
11-20-2005, 06:47 PM
My bf will be cooking for just the two of us. We'll have vegetarian stuffing, mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy, biscuits and string beans. Ahh, I'm getting hungry already! :D

christa
11-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I'll be bringing cookies, as requested with "please a few extra" for the hostess (Paul's sister this year) to freeze afterwards.

Wow! Those must be some good cookies!!!

As for the greenbean casserole . . . the whole thing with the onion rings and mushroom soup . . . that's what I'm trying to avoid making. My hubby likes stuff plain & simple. He doesn't eat dressing or anything good ;)

I did find a recipe for "southern green beans" that I think I might try . . . it's just greenbeans tossed with minced onion and bacon pieces. Sounds like a dish that they serve at our favorite Roadhouse.

Jessika
11-20-2005, 07:14 PM
This year we have a surprise planned for my fiancée :) Thanksgiving also doubles as his birthday this year, but he's working and we can't make the trip north to visit our parents this year. Well the surprise is that my family and his family are coming down HERE to see him! And he has NO CLUE! Three of our good/best friends are also coming down to visit but he knows they're coming and is excited about that. Imagine when he learns EVERYONE will be down here to spend thanksgiving with him! :D

christa
11-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Imagine when he learns EVERYONE will be down here to spend thanksgiving with him! :D

Oh wow! That is special! He will be thrilled! I know that guys always try to be tough about things like that, but even they appreciate family and I know he'll love your surprise! :)

Karen
11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
If your husband likes plain and simple, there's always just green beans almondine - green beans with a little butter, tossed with toasted almond slivers. A simple classic, for those not allergic to almonds (as I sadly now am).

kuhio98
11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
We're going to my sister's for Thanksgiving.
She is cooking Duck a L'Orange
My mom is cooking turkey, sage dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls
I'm in charge of the veggie platter, candied yams (yuck! but my mom and husband love them) and apple pie.
Don't think we're having green beans.

Epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/results?search=green+beans&x=7&y=8) has a lot of green bean recipies.

Toby's my baby
11-20-2005, 07:20 PM
That is a great surprise Jess!!

Jessika
11-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh wow! That is special! He will be thrilled! I know that guys always try to be tough about things like that, but even they appreciate family and I know he'll love your surprise! :)

Oh I know! He is a big momma's boy and misses his mom a lot though he won't let on to it of course. ;) It's been SO HARD keeping this a secret too. I'm not the best secret-keeper (and evvveryone knows that..) and I was talking to his dad the other day and he was surprised I was able to keep quiet about it for this long. I told him I deserved a consolation prize haha.

But I'm gonna take lots of pics. Our families rented two joint cabins with full kitchen and stuff. It's going to be so fun and I'm sooo excited! Our friends are coming Tuesday and family Wednesday (but of course he doesn't know that yet ;))

AllAmericanPUP
11-20-2005, 07:32 PM
we are going up to my uncle steve's to be with my dad's side of the family. they make the best food!! tons of stuff!
they deep fry the turkey and it is so delicous!! i cant remember all the other food we had, but there is just tons of it! plus my grandpa makes his pumpkin pie YUMM!!!

buckner
11-20-2005, 09:03 PM
I'll be going to my grandmother's this year for Thanksgiving. :) This is a tradition, we haven't missed one yet. My mom has been at her parents' house on Thanksgiving Day every year except one, because she had to have surgery the Monday prior. So we just sucked it up and had Thanksgiving dinner the Saturday before Thanskgiving. :P

It used to be that EVERYONE and their dog came over on Thanksgiving to my grandparents' house. Literally, we'd have like 70-100 people over every year. And then my grandfather and mom finally intervened (hehe) and said "family and close friends only". Since, it's been just family basically. :)

My grandmother does all of the cooking (it's her passion...) now and did even when we had up to 100 people coming over. I help every year because she's trying to pass on her secrets to me, and my mom makes the deviled eggs every year and rolls out of the dumplings (because those are the two things she's not good at, lol).

It'll be "the usual" (at least, for the last 8 years or so, it's been usual..) for dinner. Turkey, dumplings, dressing, green beans, mashed potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce, LOTS of desserts, rolls, salads, relish tray, fruit tray, etc etc.

I, being the only vegetarian in the family of such meat lovers, am going to have a difficult time finding things I can eat! I did it last year, but last year I wasn't on a diet. This year, I can't eat dairy or meat PLUS low calorie foods. Hehe, my family thinks I'm the most picky eater, ever.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!!! STAY SAFE!! :D

christa
11-20-2005, 09:07 PM
If your husband likes plain and simple, there's always just green beans almondine - green beans with a little butter, tossed with toasted almond slivers. A simple classic, for those not allergic to almonds (as I sadly now am).

That's a great one, Karen! And funny thing you mentioned it because my hubby LOVES almonds! We actually keep cans of them to snack on through the week! I might do that instead of the bacon & onions . . . sounds healthier anyway!

christa
11-20-2005, 09:12 PM
I, being the only vegetarian in the family of such meat lovers, am going to have a difficult time finding things I can eat! I did it last year, but last year I wasn't on a diet. This year, I can't eat dairy or meat PLUS low calorie foods. Hehe, my family thinks I'm the most picky eater, ever.

Take a vacation from that diet, girl!

I wouldn't say that I'm on a diet, but I'm VERY conscious about what I eat. With the exception of Thanksgiving & Christmas! Gotta reward yourself for being so good throughout the year! :) Besides, ONE DAY of eating those cheat foods isn't going to turn straight to fat . . . trust me . . . it's not possible. ;)

Corinna
11-20-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm doing the cooking as we now have a person allergic to turkey. I'm doing Ham and turkey
Mashed potatoes
cranberries
olives
stuffing
for dessert
sweet potato pie
key lime pie.
I do thanksgiving and my daughter has Christmas when and if my son ever has jhis own place I will give him thanks giving and I'll do valentines day or new years eve.

caseysmom
11-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I am cooking for about 10 people. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, yams and probably simple green beans I don't really like too much with them either.

I love thanksgiving and it seems like the stores are trying to skip right over it, my daughter scrapbooks and we can't find any thanksgiving things, just halloween and christmas. It seems like thanksgiving is for everybody it is not a religious holiday, the whole country celebrates so I don't get it.

Karen
11-20-2005, 09:37 PM
That's a great one, Karen! And funny thing you mentioned it because my hubby LOVES almonds! We actually keep cans of them to snack on through the week! I might do that instead of the bacon & onions . . . sounds healthier anyway!

Hey, glad I could help! At family functions now they have to put the almonds in a dish next the green beans and let people add their own so I can avoid a trip to the emergency room, but I used to like green beans that way!

joycenalex
11-20-2005, 09:50 PM
this year eileen, alex the wonder dog, the meows and i will be having cornish hens(i have a coupon) greenbean casserole(i had coupons) sausage-cornbread stuffing/dressing (i had coupons for the jiffy mix), mashed potatoes and cranberry relish(i had a coupon). the dog LOVES the 1 tablespoons he gets of the dressing, i love the coupon thing ;) :D and of course we all watch the national dog show and place bets on who wins the dog show.

Uabassoon
11-20-2005, 09:54 PM
This will be my first Thanksgiving with Alexa's family. The tradition there is to order Chinese food and go watch a movie. So I guess no one is cooking. However I am thinking of making a pumpkin pie and bringing it over just because I really like pie.

caseysmom
11-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Laura, The chinese food and a movie sounds great, I get kinda tired of turkey, what a fun, unconventional family you are joining.

cyber-sibes
11-21-2005, 09:30 AM
I was just going to make a small dinner for hubs & me & a couple friends, but it turns out my two sons are both coming and two more friends and a whole family of friends - so now I'm cooking for 13! :eek: I got a 23 lb. turkey. do you think that's big enough? I'm making the turkey/gravey & dressing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes (my favoirte), and corn. Friends are bringing wild rice -mushroom casserole, fresh rolls, and pumpkin & apple pies, and ice cream. Man, are we gonna be FULL!!!

P.S. My dishwasher broke last week. Please keep your fingers crossed the new one arrives on time! :rolleyes:

ParNone
11-21-2005, 10:38 AM
We're having a big family shindig at my Aunt's this year. 14 Adults, 9 kids and 8 or 10 dogs. My Aunt will be making at least Turkey and Rice Dressing and Chocolate Pies and who knows what else.

Me and Mom are gonna bring Turkey with Corn Bread Dressing (I don't care for Rice, even though Rice is the family tradition from our Cajun background), Ham, Potato Salad (we got German in our background too :)) and Pumpkin Cheese Pie.

Then my sister'll bring Sweet Potato Pie, Watergate Salad and an Apple Pie. I have no idea what my cousins will make, but you can be sure there'll be enough food and pie for a lot of left overs. One thing us southerns love to do is eat. ;)

Par...

sirrahbed
11-21-2005, 10:47 AM
We are having Thankdsgiving over at our oldest son's house. Chris is cooking the turkey, dressing, gravy and mashed potatoes (she makes the BEST mashed pots!!) Carol is bringing a couple of pumpkin pies, and Missy and I are bringing rolls, green beans and glazed carrots :D

I did find a recipe for "southern green beans" that I think I might try . . . it's just greenbeans tossed with minced onion and bacon pieces. Sounds like a dish that they serve at our favorite Roadhouse.

Sounds rather like our TEXAS green beans and soooo yummy! :D I fry up the chopped bacon until it is nice and crispy, add dried minecd onions (the flavor of the dried is so good I think) and then the SECRET ingredient is a bit of brown sugar....shhh!! ;)

That last ingredient makes them taste wonderful and just like some I have had in southern restaurants!! YUM!

luvofallhorses
11-21-2005, 11:27 AM
We are having it here at our house. My mom is cooking the turkey and I am going to help her out with all the other things, like usual. :) My Aunt Patty, My Uncle Ed, my second cousin Sammy, my Aunt Barbara, my cousin April, and hopefully my brother is coming...(he's been having car troubles lately..:() and I haven't seen him since August. I love Thanksgiving, but not as much as I used to, because my grandmother (my mom's mother) passed away today 2 years ago. :( (I'll make a thread soon..)

shais_mom
11-21-2005, 11:33 AM
We are going to my mom's brother's house.
I am fixing Green bean casserole.
I agree Karen - I like the frozen beans with it better but I bought a case of green beans for Keegan's diet so I am using the canned! ;)
We never used to have it at dinners and I brought it a couple years ago b/c it is so easy and yummy and it was a hit so I have brought them every time since! :)

joycenalex
11-21-2005, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=ParNone]Watergate Salad and an Apple Pie.
what's watergate salad? is it a form of waldorf salad?

ramanth
11-21-2005, 12:22 PM
In years past we had Thanksgiving dinner either at my mom's parents house or at my parents. And it was always what I considered traditional Thanksgiving fare.

Turkey
Dressing
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Yams (with marshmallows on top)
Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry sauce
Salad
Fresh baked rolls
Hor'derve's (consisting of deviled eggs, shrimp, and a relish tray)
and lots and lots of PIE!

Sometimes other dishes get tossed in but those are the ones that I look forward too. :D Mom and Grandma have always shared the cooking duties.

This year will be a full house. My mom is hosting and it'll be my parents, grandma, great aunt, myself and Andy, my sister and her new hubby, and my other sister and her new beau. :D

The past two years my parents were out of state so I spent it with Andy's family and their Thanksgiving dinner is very different to what I grew up to. But we still had fun.

Samantha Puppy
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Dinner is with my family. My mom cooks a turkey, makes stuffing, sweet potato casserole and green bean casserole. Then we leave for my husband's family's get-together where we finish the night with desserts and booze.

ParNone
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM
joycealex writes:

what's watergate salad? is it a form of waldorf salad?
Watergate salad has got pistachio pudding mix, with cool whip, marshmellows, pecans and pineapple all mixed together. Tiz very good. My grandmother cut the recipe out of the newspaper, back in the 70s. Probably around the time of the Watergate scandal. :) It's been a family tradition ever since. It's more like eating dessert then salad.

Par...

Samantha Puppy
11-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Oh, I LOVE watergate salad. Haven't had it in eons though.

moosmom
11-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Since it's my first Christmas back home, my best friend and I are making dinner. Actually (I do love her to death, but she can't cook worth a damn) I'LL be doing the cooking.

Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster
Mashed Potatoes
HOMEMADE gravy (my grandfather's recipe from the pan drippings)
FRESH green beans
Creamed onions
Hor 'doerves (before dinner, of course)
Sparkling cider

Susie will be making the dessert.

Not to mention our yearly ritual of the movie "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"

There's no place like home!!!

pnance
11-21-2005, 06:05 PM
and anybody got any interesting green bean recipes? Looking for something different . . . not just an regular pot of green beans! :eek:
.....I've got one for green beans almondine (sp??), everyone whose tried it loves it and it's really easy and quick (even I can do it which says a lot trust me). If I remember right it's fresh green beans, almond slivers and butter.

Some how I ended up with cooking thankgiving at my house. Originally I thought it would just be my mom, sister, and my roomate, but then I just found out my cousin and his wife will be in town. Did I mention I can't cook unless a microwave is involved, and just to add to it my cousin is a chef :rolleyes: Anyway with a little, ok lot of help from my roomate who actually knows how to cook we're having:

Turkey
spiced carrots
cranberry salad
peas salad
scalloped potato's
artichoke bacon wraps
pumpkin cheescake

dogzr#1
11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
We are going to my aunts house. I don't know what we are taking but I know my aunt is a really good chef.

KYS
11-21-2005, 08:09 PM
We all go to one of my sisters house. She has the biggest house.
We all bring something to eat.
My Aunt cooks 2 Turkeys and makes the stuffing.
So far this is what is on the list and it is still growing:
Turkey
Stuffing
sweet yam casserole
Salad
Cranberries
Brownies
surprise fruit cake
pumpkin pie
apple pie

I love Turkey day especially the left overs. :D

king2005
11-21-2005, 08:19 PM
My FAV green beans are, French Styled Green Beans. I just buy them in a can & DANG do they ever taste GOOD!!

anna_66
11-22-2005, 09:29 AM
We're having Thanksgiving at our house this year. Just Mark, the dogs and me:)
Mark's fixing a deep fried turkey and I'll be fixing the rest, which will be...
Potato salad
stuffing
cherry pie
deviled eggs
mashed potatoes
and rolls.

Mmmm can't wait for the left overs:D

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
We'll have the usual, Turkey, potatoes, baked corn, pie, cookies, and some graveys and stuff :)

What is baked corn?

lv4dogs
11-22-2005, 11:07 AM
I (well the dogs & I) will be going to my fathers house (if we don't get too much snow). I will be me, my father, his g/f & my brother. My dad's g/f is a really good cook! I am sure we will have a lot of food. I know they got a 22lb turkey (for 4 people :eek: ). We always get filled up on the appetizers as there is always shrimp, beu monday, cheese, crackers, crab dip, etc...

If we get a lot of snow I'll just stay home & cook some frozen turkey breast, potatos & a veggie.

I would LOVE to spend it with my mother though. But she's going to my brothers who has his wife's family over. Her family is at there house for EVERY holiday for the last 5 years!!!! Even mothers day & all the other "smaller" holidays. You'd think they'd alternate families for holidays. Her family is alright... or at least most of them but after spending tons of holidays with them & the like it gets on my nerves. My mom always goes to his house for the holidays so it's been years since I have had a holiday with my mom and OUR family.

ramanth
11-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Everyone's lists is making me hungry. :D

momoffuzzyfaces
11-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Got my turkey and dressing tv dinner all ready to heat! :D

JenBKR
11-22-2005, 12:36 PM
mmm, getting hungry... :)

We are going to my grandma & pap's on Thursday - we'll have the 'traditional' Thanksgiving - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pretzel jello salad, pumpkin pie, among others. Then on saturday we're going to my mother-in-law's for the same stuff all over again! I'll probably be sick of turkey by sunday ;)

Rachel
11-22-2005, 12:45 PM

Oh, Karen, that is a favorite of mine (I'm a plain and simple person too) although I haven't made it in ages. I'm so sorry to hear you have an allergy to almonds. I eat them daily. My favorite snack is almonds and dried cherries, eaten together.

We will be having dinner with friends. We each bring something. I am bringing the mashed potatoes and my husband is making some of his *yuppie greens*.

christa
11-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Well, I just got my turkey out of the oven! :) I know, today's not turkey day, but like I said earlier . . . since hubby & I go out of town on Thanksgiving Day, I wanted to make us our own Thanksgiving meal to eat here at home. And hopefully there will be enough for leftovers for tomorrow!

Anyway, the turkey looks great. I made it so early because hubby actually prefers his cold . . . so it will be extra perfect by dinnertime tonight! Now all I have to do is prep my other dishes and have it all on the table this evening when he gets home from work!

BTW, guys, it smells so good! I'm drooling as I type this! I might have to go ahead and cut it off the bone before tonight, so I can have a little taste. :D

kimlovescats
11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
I have been cooking for my parents, my hubby and girls, and my sister & nephew now for about 8 years. My mother did it up until then ... but it was getting very overwhelming for her, so I took over. This year will also include my new son-in-law and grandbaby Jenna. (My daughter is getting married to Jenna's Daddy the day before Thanksgiving) ;)

I will be cooking the usual ...

Turkey w/ Gravy

Dressing

Sweet Potato Casserole .... good enough to have for dessert!

Green Beans (usually do the mshrm soup casserole, but this year, gonna make them homestyle with pork fat.... yummy!)

Watergate Salad (a must every year)

Yeast Rolls

Cranberry & Fruit Relish (recipe I'm trying new from K&L)

Tray of Bread & Butter Pickles, Celery Sticks, Green onions, Cranberry Sauce

christa
11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
(My daughter is getting married to Jenna's Daddy the day before Thanksgiving) ;)

Oh wow, Kim! That is great news to hear! Definitely something to be thankful for!!! & your menu sounds great!

Everyone's menus sound great! I'm starving!!!

RobiLee
11-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Wow, this thread is making me really hungry! Everything sounds so good.

We will be going to my mom and dad's. Everyone is pitching in and bringing some food. Mom will be making her homemade noodles (the best!), mashed potatos, green beans and pumpkin pie and if I know my mom she will fix a ton of other stuff. My sister is bringing her yummy banana dessert and my brother-in-law is smoking the turkey. I'm going to be making macaroni and cheese, the stuffing, a pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling and deviled eggs. I think I might even try to make some pumpkin fudge. I'm looking forward to being with my family and eating lots of yummy food and then bringing home tons of leftovers;).

christa
11-22-2005, 02:28 PM
I think I might even try to make some pumpkin fudge.

Hmm . . . I've never heard of pumpkin fudge! That sounds very interesting! Is it good?

shais_mom
11-22-2005, 11:32 PM
(My daughter is getting married to Jenna's Daddy the day before Thanksgiving) ;)

Congratulations! :)

I am so looking forward to Thursday just being with family and the fabulous food!!
Robin my grandma makes the best homemade noodles also - Thankfully she has them frozen in the freezer since she broke her kneecap!

RobiLee
11-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Hmm . . . I've never heard of pumpkin fudge! That sounds very interesting! Is it good?

I've never had it either..lol. I came across the recipe the other day and thought it sounded yummy. Its an easy recipe with the marshmellow creme and some white chocolate chips and of course pumpkin. I picked up the ingredients yesterday and I'm hoping to make it today. I'll let you know how it is;).