PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree, real or fake??

k9krazee
11-20-2005, 01:18 PM
I was reading the thread about when you put up your tree but I was wondering if you have a real one or a fake one???

Every year we would go as a family to the Christmas tree farm and cut one down but my mom bought a fake tree last year because she is sick of the pine needles :( But going out and getting the tree was one of my favorite things to do.

What kind of tree are you getting/do you have this year???

sammy101
11-20-2005, 01:20 PM
real. :)
when we were in Canada,we used to go out as a family to cut one down in the forest,i miss that alot. Now we just buy one on the side of the road for $80 :eek:

prechrswife
11-20-2005, 01:25 PM
We have found out that an artificial tree is much neater and easier with animals in the house.

gemini9961
11-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Last year we had a real one, and this year, we might go tree-less. If we do get a tree it will be fake.

Randi
11-20-2005, 01:43 PM
When I do get a tree, it's a real one (love the smell!), with real candles too. :) You can get different kinds here, the thicker darker ones don't drop the neddles so much.

kuhio98
11-20-2005, 01:55 PM
REAL! REAL! REAL! I grew up with a fake, silver, aluminum tree that had a color wheel, light gizmo/thingy that rotated and shone on the tree. It was the ugliest thing. Kind of like having a Disco Christmas every year. Now, if I have a tree, it has to be real or forget it!

http://www.cheesylights.com/images/other_prod/cs120.jpg
http://www.cheesylights.com/images/other_prod/ml108.jpg

Grace
11-20-2005, 02:05 PM
About 7 years ago, we bought a gorgeous real tree - just as we had for years and years. We didn't decorate it that day - decided to wait until the next day.

It was so weird - I told Douglas the next day that I wanted to take that tree down. I just had a bad feeling about it. He was about to tell me the same thing. So no tree that year. We went up to Bronners a few months later and bought a fake one. It's lovely, and we're very happy we did it. Our son liked it so much that we bought one for them, also.

A few years later, we weren't able to complete the decorating of it, though. Reese was a kitten in 2001, and decided the fake tree was hers to climb and play in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/DSCN0063.jpg

In 2002, Reese was older, and larger, but still climbed up into the tree. She also had Abby, then 5 months old, to follow along. It wasn't until last Christmas that we were finally able to totally decorate the tree again.

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-20-2005, 02:10 PM
We have always had an artificial tree, though I'd love to have a real one for once!:)

Lady's Human
11-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Real. This year we're getting the tree from the yard, time to cut down on the fir trees. (and replace them with maples and dogwoods)

Toby's my baby
11-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Sorry to say, but ours is fake too. C.P. loves to climb it though, and knock the balls off. we usually end up with about 5 broken bulbs. :o

finn's mom
11-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I love the smell of a real Christmas tree, but, that's the only plus to having a real one, in my opinion. Can't think of any others...the artificial ones look as good, if not better, sometime...they don't need to be fed...they don't drop needles...etc. I always just keep a bowl of pine needles for the smell. :)

Felix
11-20-2005, 03:44 PM
I always have a artifical tree.I like the smell of a real tree but hate the mess!! :p

IRescue452
11-20-2005, 03:48 PM
We have a fake tree. It looks real and has little "pinecones". Its easier and cheaper. I have a real baby pine and a yule log for my room. I borrow the baby pine tree and bring it back to the woods by the end of December.

Jessika
11-20-2005, 04:01 PM
My parents have a "fake" tree. It's cheaper, more convenient, and the cats won't try to mark it if some wild animal marked it at one point in time haha.

And it has 'fake' snow on it and is just gorgeous! :)

chocolatepuppy
11-20-2005, 04:22 PM
This is my first year with a fake tree. I'm really looking forward to putting it up earlier. I hated waiting until a few weeks before Christmas to put up the real one. This tree is going up this weekend! :D

Laura's Babies
11-20-2005, 04:32 PM
I will not put up a tree this year since I will be working and gone... But last year, I bought a small, optical,, table top tree and that is what I would put up if I were home. I am not into the real ones, they make me ITCH!

slick
11-20-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm in a condo so it's a fire hazard to have a real tree, although I'd love to have one. My "artificial" tree is up now and I'm starting to put the lights on. One good thing about it, is that I can keep it up for months and the needles don't fall. ;)

Corinna
11-20-2005, 05:44 PM
We always had real tree for my christmas baby(born christmas eve) but i hate the mess and get no help putting it up so I now have a great looking fake one. Piece of cake to out up by myself.
For the christmas smells I use a mix of candles.

lisalee
11-20-2005, 05:57 PM
We always have a artifical tree.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-20-2005, 06:04 PM
My family has always had artificial/"fake" trees. We prefer them because they don't leave a huge mess, they don't need to be watered and you can leave them up as long as you want without worrying about it dying.

cocker_luva
11-20-2005, 06:06 PM
real all the way!

AllAmericanPUP
11-20-2005, 06:18 PM
real tree every year always!!

I dont like fake trees..i dont think they are neary as pretty at all, they also cost alot more around here, a real tree only costs $15 where as a fake tree costs $10 just for a 1 foot tree :eek:

christa
11-20-2005, 06:28 PM
We have always had a fake tree. They're just so much easier.

If we ever craved the smell of pine, we'd just go outside and cut off some limbs from our pine trees . . . lay them on the mantle or something like that.

Karen
11-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Real! Always real, especially as Miss Hoppy regards it as a chew treat, and a nice play to lie under. We have a big kitchen, so it's usually in there, which means the needles are easier to sweep up than they would be on the living rom rug, too.

Lobodeb
11-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Fake. I just can't stand to waste the Earth's resources for the sake of decorating my house for 2 weeks. I hate seeing all of the trees that are thrown out the day after. Ugh.

The fake ones look just as good as the real ones these days, and if I really wanted the smell, I'll open a bottle of pine-sol.

Either way, it's moot for me this year because I'm not putting up a tree for Payton to bring down. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
11-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Since I've had my cats, I don't put up a tree any more. When I did put up a tree, it was a fake one. I still have it in storage. I wonder if I'll ever be able to use it again.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-21-2005, 02:42 AM
the thicker darker ones don't drop the neddles so much.

Indeed!! That is the kind of tree we get every year :) . I hope Zazou will behave and leave the tree alone; I'd better ask Maya to teach her :D

davidpizzica
11-21-2005, 05:32 AM
I have an artifical tree that I set upon the living room table since I live alone. If I want to see and smell a real tree I can go to my brother's house on Christmas day. Thank goodness Nikki & Daisy are good with the tree. I don't know what Marigold's reaction will be!

lbaker
11-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Real Real Real, "open a bottle of Pine-Sol??" You are kidding right? It doesn't have to be huge and I always put it up on a low sturdy table or something and secure the top of it with fish line tied to the upper window sash so even if a cat climbs up it won't topple. Just a few very special and meaningful ornaments and lots of babies breath from the flower shop. I usually try to buy a live one with a root ball so I can replant it. It works quite well. Yes it can be a bit of trouble but what the heck, it's worth it to me. :)

Maresche
11-21-2005, 07:07 AM
We have a fake tree. It has always been fake, it will always be fake as I'm allergic to pine sap.

Alysser
11-21-2005, 07:19 AM
We had a real tree to years ago. But of course, Sassy being the little curious mutt, went up to it and started pulling on the tree skirt. Then, the bad little mutt knocked the whole thing on HERSELF and ME! It was scary and it hurt. My mom was cleaning up the mess for two whole days and I was sore for three. So, we have a fake tree now thanks to the little freak of a mutt. :rolleyes:

Alysser
11-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Oh yeah, and Sunny(bird) kept flying into the tree and I had to find him without knocking down any of the ornaments. I really miss that. I only had two christmas with him. :( :mad: :(

mina'smomma
11-21-2005, 07:40 AM
We have a fake tree because even though I like the smell of pine it doesn't like me back and keeps me so miserable that I can't sleep.

anna_66
11-21-2005, 08:05 AM
We haven't put one up for quite a few years now, but when we do it's fake.

cyber-sibes
11-21-2005, 09:18 AM
We do both. We put lights all over a 20-foot tall blue spruce in the yard, it's beautiful! I also decorate my memorial "Rosie tree" little blue spruce with stuff for the birds & some ornaments. Got one of those narrow log-trunk trees last year for indoors, no mess, easy to put up (just carry it down from the loft) and looks great!