PDA

View Full Version : white doggies

manda99
03-29-2002, 05:00 PM
are white dogs more suceptable to skin problems? i know sunburn could be an issue... can you put people sunscreen on dogs?
i'm torn between the black-ish colored puppy (whom i'm calling Bindy) and the white one (Cue Ball). I really can't stand the thought of C.B. being taken to another home... But I'm concerned about the additional problems resulting from him being white.

Any thoughts?

By the way, they are pitbulls.

Thanks!
xoxo
manda99

Cincy'sMom
03-29-2002, 07:28 PM
I don't know too many advantages of black vs. white fur on a dog but if you use human sunscreen, avoid any that has zinc oxide or PABA. Most likely the dog will try to lick the lotion off and these ingredents can be dangerous. Also, use at least SPF 15, and make sure you put the sunscreen on the ears, nose and belly..those are the areas most likely to get burned.

Good luck picking your new puppy.

AdoreMyDogs
03-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Yes I do know that white dogs are more suspectable to the sunlight, but as long as they are not out in the sun all day, it shouldn't be a problem.

Bindy is a GREAT name!!! That's the name of Steve Erwin (the Crocodile Hunter's) little baby girl :) Good luck on the pup :)

manda99
03-31-2002, 12:57 AM
thanks ! i'm taking the white one... he's just too damn cute and so chill.

I know Bindy is the Croc Hunter's baby's name... that's where i got it from. it is super cute.

anyway, thanks again. wheeeeeeeeeeee! puppies!

Kfamr
03-31-2002, 01:53 AM
OHH OHH OHH! I have no idea about the skin problem but PLEASE show me pictures! I absolutely ADORE Pit Bulls. they are my favorite breed. and please, im nto sure how muhc you know about pit bull but trewat it with the GREATEST respect. Do no train it to be aggressive i beg you not to.

manda99
04-01-2002, 11:26 AM
i dont have any pictures... no scanner or digital camera.

i've never owned a pitbull myself but i've lived with 5 different ones over the past few years... so, i know enough to know not to train 'em to be aggressive. they can be such sweet babies if you want. :)

if i get pics i'll post.

right now, all 9 puppies are at our house... they should be going to homes late this week and next week. that's kinda why it was so hard to pick one... living with all them cuties! but the poop clean up is getting old so i'll be glad to see them go to good, loving homes soon.

the dad was introduced to the one i'm taking over the weekend. he seems really excited... but we're taking it slow.

just for kicks, anyone have any advice about that? thanks.

xoxo