PDA

View Full Version : When do you put up your tree?

catnapper
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
For whatever reason, I am just just itching to put up my tree this year. Perhaps its all the stress in my life right now, and I want the relaxation of looking at a pretty tree..... but I am dying to put up my tree!

I can't wait to pull out all the pretty decorations - a mix of things I've been loooking at since I can remember and new stuff. I can't wait to watch the kitties playing in the boxes as I unpack everything. I can't wait to see who climbs the tree this year... I just can't wait!

Mom and I are going shopping Sunday for Christmas gifts and then to buy wrapping paper, new decorations (kittenproof of course), etc. Its not Thanksgiving and I'm seriously already in the Christmas mood!

elizabethann
11-18-2005, 11:06 AM
I think I might buy my tree next weekend (after Thanksgiving).

buttercup132
11-18-2005, 11:12 AM
im not sure when my parentd do it prob end of november

catlover4ever
11-18-2005, 11:15 AM
We usually put the tree up Thanksgiving weekend but this year I won't have a tree. When we decided to move we got rid of our artificial tree and it's not a priority for my husband...not to mention that we were supposed to be in the house two months ago and now it looks like we will be officially moving in the day before Thanksgiving.

Anita Cholaine
11-18-2005, 11:35 AM
We put the tree up on December 8th. It's a tradition here....

wolfie
11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
A week before christmas, sometimes later.

Felix
11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I would usually have it up by now in the past years :o But since I got Felix last year I have put it off as long as I can.I dont feel like re-decorating trees all season :rolleyes: ;) :D This year Im thinking he wont be half as bad...He has calmed down alot since I got him neutered and he is not a kitten no more.Felix's second christmas..were does the time go?

lv4dogs
11-18-2005, 11:53 AM
My answer wasn't on there. I put my tree up about 2 weeks before x-mas.

prechrswife
11-18-2005, 12:24 PM
We usually put ours up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'm really getting ready, too.

AllAmericanPUP
11-18-2005, 12:29 PM
we put ours up usually in the first week of December :)

new mom to a veiled
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
If it wasn't for my (skin) kids, I don't think I would put one up at all.

PJ's Mom
11-18-2005, 12:49 PM
I put mine up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down the day after Christmas. :)

Samantha Puppy
11-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Last year we put it up 2.5 - 3 weeks before Christmas, which turned out to be a bad idea. It was very dry by Christmas AND our two kittens had all that time to knock countless ornaments down.

This year, I don't want to put it up until around the 17th or 18th. ESPECIALLY since we have FOUR cats now, two of which have never seen a tree inside before and both of which are bratty little bad girls. PLUS we get real trees and if I haven't had the baby yet, I can't imagine trying to get down on the floor and water it being that close to giving birth. So we'll see. I actually brought up not having one to Josh this year but he nixed that idea right then and there. Of course he wants a tree - *I'll* be the one taking care of it!! He just gets to enjoy how it looks and smells!

kuhio98
11-18-2005, 01:07 PM
we put ours up usually in the first week of December :)
Yep, us too. We get a real tree, so it's still in pretty good shape by Christmas if we keep it watered well (and the cats don't destroy it, of course).

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-18-2005, 01:26 PM
I posted Thanksgiving weekend, because the correct time is not there. We always put up our tree the first saturday AFTER december 6th.
December 6th is St.Nicolas Day here. St.Nicolas brings toys to all children then; he walks over the roof with his helpers and his white horse, and throws the presents down the chimney :D

ramanth
11-18-2005, 02:15 PM
No room for a tree. :\

Flatcoatluver
11-18-2005, 02:19 PM
we usally put it up thanksgiving weekend but 2 weeks ok my mother got in the christmas spiret and put ours up!!! :rolleyes: ;) :D :rolleyes:

Barbara
11-18-2005, 02:39 PM
In Germany there is only one day you can do it- the 24th of December. :)

And in 90% of the cases it's a real tree. And before we had the cats it was real beeswax candles. It's electrical candles now :)

Karen
11-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I actually brought up not having one to Josh this year but he nixed that idea right then and there. Of course he wants a tree - *I'll* be the one taking care of it!! He just gets to enjoy how it looks and smells!

I have the solution for you - have him get a short tree, and put it up on a coffee table or another table. That means you get the tree, but it's easier for you to water it, and there will only half as many ornaments for the nawty kitties to bat around!

When we had our Great Dane, the Christmas tree had its own play pen - she had no idea, really, where her tail went or what it did, and all ornaments tail height and below (remember, Great Dane height, so that means more than half the tree) would get wagged off!

As for now, I usually get the tree - a.k.a. the giant rabbot chew toy/treat - about a week before Christmas!

buckner
11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
I remember when I was little, we'd put the tree up after Thanksgiving, but it was always a week or two after. So it was usually around 2-3 weeks before Christmas. And it took up the entire weekend. Getting all the decorations out, putting the tree up (artificial all the way!), decorating the tree with lights and ornaments, and covering the inside of our house in nothing but CHRISTMAS things! Our mantle gets full, our family room got full, kitchen, dining room, bathrooms! You name it, it got decorated.

Over the years, my mom's gotten sick and no longer has the desire to get it all out because she'll get sick from all the dust and such. So for the past few years, it's been me putting everything up by myself. Boy, do I miss the good ole days. But I simply cannot live without my tree, stockings, and some decor. And when I get out the decorations, you know what happens next.. I get out more and more. Then it looks like a regular Christmas.

I believe this year my mom wants me to put out the Fiber Optic tree because she knows how I am with the decor. ;) But it's my last Christmas (well, not really...) living here! I want to go out with a bang, I want it to be completely Christmas around here!!!

I am planning on putting up the tree (and everything else) about 3 weeks before Christmas. :)

sirrahbed
11-18-2005, 03:47 PM
We usually get ours up around the middle of December, or a week early. I think this is because we used to cut them fresh and they would start dropping needles if we did it much earlier. Now that the skinkids arer grown - we use an articial tree but still put it up later than most folks we know. I think a good reason for that is that the furrkids like to climb it! :rolleyes:

Suki Wingy
11-18-2005, 04:04 PM
around two weeks before christmas and take it down usually sometime in the first week of the new year, oh and it is always a real tree.

chocolatepuppy
11-18-2005, 04:20 PM
I checked Thanksgiving weekend. It will be the first time it will be this early though. We've always got a real tree, but this year I got me a pretty fake one because I'm tired of having to wait to put it up! I love Christmas and to me it starts right after Thanksgiving dinner! :D

dogzr#1
11-18-2005, 04:35 PM
we don't put up a tree. we just go to my grandma's house for Christmas and we open all our gifts there.

Shelteez2
11-18-2005, 05:24 PM
My mom puts the tree up usually on the first weekend in Dec.

christa
11-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Putting mine up tomorrow (November 19th) and will take it down the day after Christmas. I have an artificial tree (actually we have several) so I don't have to worry about it drying out. The kitties did pretty well with it last year so I'm hoping for a repeat. They were more interested in the bows on the gifts under the tree. Good distraction I guess. :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
11-19-2005, 06:08 AM
NO tree for me. I simply hate to decorate and I hate un-decorating it even more! Besides, 16 cats and Christmas tree should never be used in the same sentence. :rolleyes:

Pam
11-19-2005, 06:27 AM
NO tree for me. Besides, 16 cats and Christmas tree should never be used in the same sentence. :rolleyes:

I agree Jen, only in my house you can't put Andy and Christmas tree in the same sentence. I have stopped putting one up, since the first couple of years I had moved all of the ornaments to the top half long before Christmas even arrived due to my nawtee boy. He also likes to tug on the light strings. :rolleyes: Trevor only ever went underneath and napped like a good boy.

A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a small fiber optic tree (no ornaments! YAY!) but Andy even managed to jump up to where I had it and eat a few pieces of the tree (found them in the litter box :o ) so I will have to find a place for it this year where there is nothing nearby for him to spring from to reach it. :rolleyes:

BitsyNaceyDog
11-19-2005, 07:43 AM
I've had my tree up for a week and a half! (I'm a little embarrested to admit that after seeing everyone elses replies.) I consider the "holiday season" to begin after halloween. I definitely married into the right family, Justin's dad puts his lights up on the outside of the house the week after halloween and Justin's mom has the inside decorted that week too.

I usually get my Christmas decorations out early november, but the tree usually goes up a bit later. However Justin bought me a new tree this year, so I put it up at the same time I got out the other decorations. My "old" tree is a huge, very full tree that I love very much, but unfortunately so did the cats. It was a very difficult tree to have in my busy house. This year Justin bought me a slim tree and it's working out much better. The cat's have not yet climbed it, they just play with it.

*(The background in my signature is a picture I took of part of my tree.)*

gemini9961
11-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Truthfully, I am not sure I will have a tree this year. I can't seem to get much time to do anything besides work and work around the house. Plus with Grant having his first Christmas, I think he might want to munch on some decorations. Last year we had about an 8 ft Colorado Blue Spruce we bought from our local tree farm. It was gorgeous and a holy mess to clean up after. No more real trees for me, I'll get a tree scented candle to do me over. If I get a tree, I might get a little artificial Charlie Brown tree to keep it out of the dogs reach. I am totally not in the Christmas spirit yet, it takes me awhile to be.

RedHedd
11-19-2005, 10:40 AM
No tree. I learned the hard way with Goldie and haven't had a tree is so many years, I've forgotten what it's like. With my two I'm sure it would be a destruction derby in no time. Just lots of cat safe decorations at my house. Much easier and they think a lot of them are toys for them. It's LOTS more fun.

slick
11-19-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm putting mine up tomorrow. For me it's usually a two day process because I'm so anal when it comes to putting the lights on. It's a 4-hour job just for the lights alone....then when I put on the decorations they also have to be placed "just so!".

catnapper
11-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm putting mine up tomorrow. For me it's usually a two day process because I'm so anal when it comes to putting the lights on. It's a 4-hour job just for the lights alone....then when I put on the decorations they also have to be placed "just so!".
I thought I was the only one! I am precise about my lights, and I never ever want to be able to follow a strand of lights - they should not be obvious! It takes e hours of precise placement for lights. I must have over 1000 lights on my 6' tree. Hubby jokes that you don't need any other lighting in the room! :D

The kids refuse to help me decorate the tree because I always move what they put on to a different spot.

MariaM
11-19-2005, 11:32 AM
We usually put ours up around Dec. 10-18 lol, anywhere in there. I'm not sure if we're putting one up this year or not, because we may be going to St. Louis for Christmas...we'll see. I love Christmas so much! :)

carole
11-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Sadly I have not been able to put up a xmas tree for three years now because of my wee girl Lexie, she would attempt to wreck it and eat anything in site, for some reason she is that way inclined, so only a few decorations go up each year, I do put xmas lights on the verandah each year and that looks pretty, nothing flash or over the top, just simple, still I would not have it any other way, as I love my Lexie way more than any xmas tree, I used to always put it up 1ST of December though.

Killearn Kitties
11-20-2005, 10:23 AM
This year I will put it up on the weekend before Christmas. We get a real tree, so usually get it the weekend before Christmas or the previous weekend, depending when Christmas falls. I am terrible for remembering to water it and I don't want it bald by the New Year. I don't take it down until after twelfth night.

The girls have never shown the slightest bit of interest in the tree, other than napping among the presents underneath.

Mad Mags Moo
11-20-2005, 10:50 AM
;) :D Don't have a tree.....only put a few bits of tinsel and some lights up! BAH HUMBUG!!!!!

k9krazee
11-20-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure when we'll put ours up...we usually go the weekend after Thanksgiving and get one but this year my mom wants to put up the fake tree :(

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-20-2005, 02:29 PM
We usually put our tree up Thanksgiving weekend, but since we're having company from out of state this year, I doubt we'll do it, but we still might.:)

Grace
11-20-2005, 02:47 PM
You need an other category. We put ours up the week after Thanksgiving. http://bestsmileys.com/christmas3/8.gif

Toby's my baby
11-20-2005, 03:15 PM
We put ours up at different times, usually right after thanksgiving, because we dont have school or work, so we have time to decorate, its AlWAYS up before my birthday (December 12th) :)

lisalee
11-20-2005, 06:50 PM
I usually put it up the week after Thanksgiving.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-20-2005, 09:13 PM
We usually put ours up in the second week of December, although last year we put it up the first week which I'm hoping to do again this year....

krazyaboutkatz
11-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Before I had cats, I would put up my tree after Thanksgiving. Now that I have cats, I don't put up a tree any more. I only decorate a little bit because Storm likes to eat everything.

davidpizzica
11-21-2005, 07:18 AM
We put ours up at different times, usually right after thanksgiving, because we dont have school or work, so we have time to decorate, its AlWAYS up before my birthday (December 12th) :)
Toby's my baby, I might do the same thing, Have mine up before our birthdays!