PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about the tortie "fuzzball" foster

Soapets
11-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Under all that fuzz, she is nothing but skin and bones. I can feel her spine and her ribs through her skin. She is very malnourished. She isn't eating much, either. I collected a poop sample to take to the Humane Society today to test for worms. She won't eat the canned food, and she won't take a bottle. She will drink some of the KMR formula from a bowl, but not nearly enough to sustain her.

The other two are roly-poly, and eat the canned food like little piggies! They run and play and seem to be very healthy and happy.

Please keep the little tortie in your prayers. If she doesn't start eating and gaining weight, she may not survive.... :(

Deb

AllAmericanPUP
11-18-2005, 08:10 AM
:( I hope its nothing serious and she gets better!!

catnapper
11-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Sounds just like what I went through with Angel this past spring. Get some baby food - most likely she'll eat that. They all do. If she doesn't, then warm it up a bit, but it in a syringe (no needle of course) and gently pry her mouth open and inject the baby food. Usually once they realize its yummy, they eat on their own.

catmandu
11-18-2005, 08:21 AM
We are praying that that Porr Little Tortie can get through this delicate part of her life.
Have you tried the Itty Bitty Kitten Food from Royal Canin.
Baby food would be excellent too.
Come on Kitten,the Found Cats are mMMEEEEOOWING.
Karina Angel is coming to help out.

AlleyCat
11-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Catnapper said what I was going to say. Warming up the milk helps and I have had to do that too where I would open their mouths to make them take it. It usually works, so if this little one still won't take it then she's really not feeling well. I hope the little one will be alright!

Laura's Babies
11-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Have you tried baby food? You may have to force feed her to get her going, she is just to pretty to not make it. I would be trying to feed her everything I could think of, constantly shoving something in her mouth. Maybe a vet can give you something to increase her appetite.

kuhio98
11-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Count me in on the baby food suggestion. It was the only thing that kept Kuhio going when she was nothing but skin and bones.

Lobodeb
11-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Good luck! Unfortunately, I have no advice, only hugs!

QueenScoopalot
11-18-2005, 11:25 AM
She could have coccidea which has been rampant this year. However many times the vets can't spot it in the feces. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask about putting her on Albon anyway. Coccidea is like having a stomach flu 24/ 7. :( And get some A/D from the vet, or baby food as already suggested and make her eat! Get a few puppy sized oral syringes and force her to eat several times a day. A kitten her size can go downhill very quickly if they aren't getting enough nutrients. She may need sub-q fluids too. Poor little infant kitty....purrayers winging in.

furrykidsmother
11-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Come on little sweetie! You have got to eat!!

I hope the baby food works, sounds like a good thing to try!

lv4dogs
11-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Oh no, she's my favorite out of the bunch. You've got tons of get well wishes coming your way from me!

I agree with all of the suggestions the others have listed. Good luck!

Soapets
11-18-2005, 12:07 PM
I had to work this morning, but have the afternoon off. I'm taking a poop sample over to the Humane Society to be tested, and then I'm headed to the store to buy baby food! She won't eat the canned A/D that the Humane Soceity gave us to feed them.

All three kittens are now on Clavimox, as "Archie" has been sneezing a lot and has a runny nose and slight discharge from his eyes. He's also got some loose stools when he poops in the litter box. The other two don't at this point. I started them on the Clavimox yesterday. The Humane Society provided the Clavimox when I called them and asked them about it.

My son got the little fuzzball to drink some more formula this morning, but nothing else. I'll go run those errands, and get back on here later today. Thanks for your suggestions---everything helps!

Deb

kimlovescats
11-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Deb .... just a few notes to hopefully help!

ALL kittens need to be dewormed, and hopefully this will help your baby Fuzzball gain some weight. Also, be sure they are flea-free ... sometimes especially on long hairs, you don't even realize they have them. You can use a teeny tiny drop of Advantage on her, or better yet, bathe her in the regular Dawn liquid detergent. (It kills fleas) She might be lethargic from being anemic. Last and hopefully not the case, have any of them been tested for Felv and FIV? I am doubting this since they just came from your Humane Society, most are low budget and can't provide all of the normal kitten maintenance ... you are extremely lucky that they provided the Clavamox! :eek:

Good luck, and prayers for that gorgeous Tortie! ;)

Kim

jenluckenbach
11-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Good luck with the baby.

kb2yjx
11-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Baby food(chicken is the favourite)is THE bribe food at our house> I just hope little Miss Tortie is eating better by the time you read this. Are her gums pale? Our little Sylvia Purrgoli was as you described, and she had distemper. Unfortunatley, Sylvie did not make it. Many prayers are on the way for the little Miss Tortie!