PDA

View Full Version : Hard times

tz1
11-18-2005, 12:33 AM
Well, basically cancer has come back to my dad. He was diagnosed with lung cancer last year...and got 1/3 of one of his lungs removed. We thought it was gone but it is back in his ribs and spreading rapidly. Now it's back, and much more fatal.. He has less than 1 year to live approximately. He was a lifelong smoker but quit when he found out he had cancer.

My family is really coming on tough times now...my mom has to work full time while taking care of him (to keep her healthcare benefits) & she is a struggling alcoholic...also recently found out she has been taking antidepressants + other drugs to cope with the stress.

I have been coming home every weekend from college to help around the house the best I can and to spend as much time with them as possible.

I just had to get this off my chest as I had a conversation with my mom just a bit ago..Some good thoughts would be appreciated. I haven't been posting here long but you all seem really nice.. I don't really mean to sound pathetic or complain or anything, it feels good to write some of what is going on in my life down. thanks for your time

buttercup132
11-18-2005, 08:15 AM
im so sorry to hear that i hope things shape up for you

Laura's Babies
11-18-2005, 09:55 AM
My Mom died with cancer in 1999. What I say to you is do all you can to help or just BE there. The conversations I had with Mama after she got cancer were some of the best. The time we spent together was some of the best times we had. Mama told me often she had, had a good life and was ready to go. I talked to her about it and even told her we had made all her arrangements and where we were going to bury her. That pleased her and she was thrilled that we were going to bury her out where my brother was buried. We let her die at home and that was the most healing thing for us.

BUT..... NOTHING in life prepared you for the loss of a parent. It hurts to the core of your being.

PJ's Mom
11-18-2005, 10:00 AM
I lost my dad to renal cancer back in 1997. I wasn't there for him and it's something I will always regret. :(

Be there for your dad and try to enjoy what little time you have left with him. I hope you and your family find the strength to deal with this terrible disease.

poofy
11-18-2005, 10:06 AM
My heart goes out to you and your family.LIke was said, nothing prepares you for the lose of a loved one. I lost my mother. I said a prayer for all of you, and I do so hope your mom gets some help..she is desperate and I feel very deeply for her.I Hope your dad will not go but if he does I hope he is prepared to be able to be on the great otherside.I will have you alll in my prayers as God is able to do all things for them that belive. :(

kimlovescats
11-18-2005, 12:51 PM
The tears are welling in my eyes as I try to find words of comfort for you. Your poor mother has so much on her right now, and you do as well. My heart aches for your entire family. Please try to keep Faith, as God is still in control, and will strengthen and guide you all through this very difficult time.
Don't apologize for sharing this with us, I think I can speak for all of us here, that we truly want to be here for you, if only to listen and share.

((((HUGS))))
Kim

pitc9
11-18-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm glad you came to us for comfort and good thoughts!
That's what we're here for! (along with showing off our pets of course! :p )
Please know that you and your family are in my prayers and thoughts.

carole
11-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your troubles, you certainly have a lot on your plate and we are all here for you anytime, please remember that,I can only imagine the heartache you must be feeling and just want you to know you have a ton of support here on PT, please take care sweetie and hugs to you and your family, may you all find the strength needed to get through this tough time in your life.

Anita Cholaine
11-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm really sorry...:( Try to spend your time with your dad and your family, and enjoy your moments with him. You have to know that PT is with you. We are here to support anybody who is having a hard time... Sending prayers and hugs for all your family....

emily_the_spoiled
11-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I am sorry to read about your mother and father. This will be a very difficult time for you. Please remember that you do need to take care of yourself before you can help others. Your college should have student counselling services available. If you feel that you need to talk with someone face-to-face please go to them. They can help you deal with everything that is going on right now.

Please know that we are here to provide comfort and support for you.