PDA

View Full Version : Earle update...

Glacier
11-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Earle did great at the vet today. Dr. Kim does not believe me that Earle is ever cranky. Earle put on quite a performance today..rolling for belly rubs, giving kisses when Kim looked at his teeth! Silly dog! He was quite happy to be somewhere new and not the tinest bit stressed about the clinic! That's my boy! :D

The good news is there is nothing obvious wrong--no signs of pain, no joint issues, no masses, strong heartbeat, great teeth! The blood tests won't be back until the middle of next week. They can't be done here and have to be sent to Saskatchewan, the closest lab! Kim does suspect Earle's thyroid is low. In any case, Earle is going on a diet and getting more exercise. I'm not supposed to put him in the team until he looses few pounds, but he can run loose and skijor with me.

Now, can you all cross your paws tomorrow too for Muskwa? At long last, Muskwa gets neutered tomorrow!

Thanks!

CagneyDog
11-17-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm glad the vet visit went well. I can't believe the nearest lab is in Saskatchewan :eek: :p

and skijor with me

Whats skijor? :o

I hope everything goes well with Muskwa tomorrow!

chocolatepuppy
11-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Crossing the fingers and paws again! I'm glad Earle is ok, hopefully the blood work will be too.

Kristenthemusher
11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm glad the vet visit went well. I can't believe the nearest lab is in Saskatchewan :eek: :p

I hope everything goes well with Muskwa tomorrow!

Skijoring is skiing with a trained dog attached to you. I tried it once when I was 8, and went straight back to mushing, lol. In mushing, you can let go of the dogs if you have to. :D

Good luck Muskwa! Hope you feel better soon! We'll be thinking of ya.

Glacier
11-17-2005, 07:19 PM

Cross country skiing with canine assistance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Old%20stuff/skijorfinish.jpg
Me & Raven a couple years ago at a local race.

Glacier
11-17-2005, 07:22 PM
In mushing, you can let go of the dogs if you have to. :D

Only if you want a long, cold walk home! I'm an expert at getting dragged by a sled team! When I first started mushing, my mentor told me I couldn't call myself a musher until I had walked home and then learned to drag without loosing my team! :p

There is a quick release clasp on the skijoring belt. I've never used it as many of dogs I skijor with would vanish if they got loose, but it's there if I had to use it!

CagneyDog
11-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Cross country skiing with canine assistance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Old%20stuff/skijorfinish.jpg
Me & Raven a couple years ago at a local race.

thats awesome! It looks like so much fun!

Glacier
11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
thats awesome! It looks like so much fun!

It is fun, 2 dogs is even more fun, but there is no 2 dog racing class. There is a three dog class, but I'm not quite that nutty yet!

Corinna
11-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Glad Earle is ok. Isn't that typical silly kids. Praying for Muskwa and his surjury.

Ginger's Mom
11-17-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be anything to serious, and I hope he can get his thyroid problem under control. Oh Earle, you big silly dog, giving kisses when the doctor is checking your teeth. :D
I am sure Muskwa will do fine tomorrow, but we are still sending out good thoughts for him.

pitc9
11-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Glad to hear Earle will be okay with little change.
Good luck to you Muskwa!! ;)

Lobodeb
11-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Awww, Earle. You sure know how to get into people's hearts!

I'm glad to hear that it is the thyroid and that it can be treated.

Thanks for the update and good luck tomorrow Muskwa!

Bigyummydog
11-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Good thing EARL is ok. Kisses for MUSKWA, hope all goes well.
MAXIMUS goes tomorrow :eek: :eek:

finn's mom
11-17-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm glad to hear that Earle had such a good day, and, basically got a clean bill of health. Good luck, Muskwa! :) And, that picture of you and Raven is so cool! :)

elizabethann
11-18-2005, 07:44 AM
So glad there isn't anything seriously wrong with Earle.

I will send good thoughts Muskwa's way.

cyber-sibes
11-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Earle, you big lug! you sure scared your mom! Now enjoy the extra exercise & loose that couple pounds quick. Condolences, Mr. Muskwa, hope you recover really soon! It's really in your best interest, even thought I'm sure you find that hard to believe!

Queen of Poop
11-18-2005, 10:42 AM
As an Alberta resident I am surprised that your vet sends their tests all the way to Saskatchewan.

Good boy Earle, make nice with the vet clinic staff and maybe they won't poke you too much.

Good luck Muskwa, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Glacier
11-18-2005, 10:57 AM
As an Alberta resident I am surprised that your vet sends their tests all the way to Saskatchewan.

Everything goes to the University of Saskatchewan's vet college, even animals that can't be treated up here. I flew one of my cats there for a specialized surgery a few years ago. Partly it's because it's a teaching clinic and has the best and most up to date technology available and partly it's a cost issue. Pete's surgery would have been double the price in a clinic in Vancouver or Calgary. Earle's thryoid panel will cost about 100 bucks instead of 250.

lv4dogs
11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I hope that it is just his thyroid. Glad Earle's vet visit went well!

Good luck Muskwa!

I've been wanting to skijor for the longest time. But first I have to learn to ski. lol

LoudLou
11-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Glad to hear Earle is doing ok... Hey, Earle tell Muskwa that there's nothin' to gettin' Tutored! He'll be back running in no time soon.

ramanth
11-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Glad to hear Earle is okay. Good luck on those test boy! :D

And good luck to Muskwa! :eek: ;) :D You're gonna get tutored!

jesse_3
11-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Glad to hear that Earle is okay! And good luck to Muskwa!

I have a question about skijoring. Jesse LOVES to pull me on rollerblades, would it be too diffficult for her to pull me on skiis?

Steph and the gang!

Glacier
11-19-2005, 03:01 AM
I have a question about skijoring. Jesse LOVES to pull me on rollerblades, would it be too diffficult for her to pull me on skiis?

Steph and the gang!

Not at all. If she can pull you on rollerblades, she can handle skiis.

*sled_dog*
11-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Not at all. If she can pull you on rollerblades, she can handle skiis.

Agree :D . Skijoring also isn't just for sled dogs, you can use just about any dog that is large/(strong) enough to pull you. My cousin has went skijoring with me and she used her Border Collie. :)