PDA

View Full Version : Worst X-mas Present?

ParNone
11-17-2005, 02:44 PM
What's the worst Christmas gift you've ever gotten?

My grandmother got me Toilet Paper one year. Do you how hard it is to look really excited and appreciative of Toilet Paper? I shoulda got an Oscar that year. ;) I found out later, that she'd asked my sister what I needed. We were rooming together at the time and I always seemed to run out of toilet paper and hadn't made it to the grocery yet and would use some of hers. So she told Grandmom, Toilet Paper, as a joke. Uh, never do that to grandparents, they take stuff literally.

My other grandmother gives me a chip and dip set every x-mas. I tell ya, I'm ready to have the biggest Salsa party ever someday. But am running out of cabinet space in the meantime. :)

Par...

BitsyNaceyDog
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm not a nicknack kind of girl so I don't like getting that stuff for Christmas. Both of Justin's grandmothers always give us things that they've made, which I both love and hate. I love that they took the time to make us something, but I hate that it's always porcelain ducks or some other nicknack that I'm not in to. (I keep all of that stuff in a box in my closet.)

beeniesmom
11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Hahahehehhe!
I think the worst gift I ever got was from my gramma too. It was a container of torrone candy... it had a bunch of dead ants in it. She couldn't/can't see worth a danm and didn't notice. I pretended to be all happy, but was grossed out. My dad actually got very mad at her for that. I really didn't care...

caseysmom
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
I have a friend that gives the worst presents....she always gives me knick knacks and I too hate knick knacks. You kind of would think she would put more thought into it, I think I am pretty easy. I LOVE candles, everyone know that but I never get them for presents hardly.

Flatcoatluver
11-17-2005, 03:17 PM
a barbie when i was 14!!??!?

lv4dogs
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I haven't really gotten a christmas present in a long time. Only a very few since I turned 16. Even when I was young I didn't get too many presents because my birthday is so close to christmas.
Although I never really got a "bad" christmas present I did always seem to get something that I asked for but different. It was always my fathers fault, he's the only one that went shopping. (we didn't get along at all until just about 5 years ago). Sometimes I swear he had to do it on purpose as this happened all the time with litterally almost every gift and my brothers would always get exactly what they asked for.
Anyways sorry for rambling/venting. lol
I'd ask for a watch that is waterproof & does not have gold on it so I got a gold non-waterproof watch. I asked for a nice warm winter coat to go sledding in I'd get a leather jacket. I asked for goofy items I'd get mickey mouse. I asked for a yahtzee game I got uno. I think you get the idea.

Husky_mom
11-17-2005, 03:33 PM
so we are close to getting some bad stuff. :rolleyes: ........, but before i have gotten 2 exactly the same pj´s from the same family!!!! (mother side) how in the world!!!
the next year i got 2 exactly the same jewelry boxes for imaginary jewelry as i never wore any!!!! until now (wedding ring) and from the same people i got the pj´s the year before!!!!! aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

i aslo always asked for something and got something totally different
for many consecutive years all i asked was a HORSE (real one) and i only got toys instead LOL

JenBKR
11-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I usually like my gifts, I'm not real picky. Last year, though, my mother-in-law bought a poker set and poker chips for my husband and I. Neither of us has ever had any interest in poker whatsoever. Of course, we smiled and said we love it...then put it in the basement...

Corinna
11-17-2005, 05:56 PM
The year my MIL decided I needed a home made gift from her a beer bottle reindeer.

AllAmericanPUP
11-17-2005, 06:42 PM
every year my grandma would either get me some kind of make up kit or a curling iron or hair ties or brushes, etc. etc. and i am *not* a girly girl and i do not use these types of things(i mean i use a brush but i only need one), so my sister got my gift eveyr year LOL.

Cookiebaker
11-17-2005, 06:50 PM
:o I have to admit that my worst Christmas present was from my Grandma, too. It was a set of Knoxberry(?) Jellies -- all different flavors. The problem was that she had to sample them before she gave them to us. :eek: Ewww! :eek:

Laura's Babies
11-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Me and some of my girlfriends had a little white elephant gift exchange of things people had given us for Christmas that we hated... I forget what I took to exchange but I got a gift of a pendant of a bubble gum machine that I actually liked and now that the friend is gone on to the other side, I keep it where I can see it all the time to remind me how short life is... (not exactly fitting here but that is all I could think of)

AbbyMom
11-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Hee hee..this is a cute thread.

My worst: My sister-in-law gave me a hat box.

Did you even know they still made hat boxes? Do you know what a hat box is? LOL!

Toby's my baby
11-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Great thread!! lol

I got a Bratz doll one year, when I was WAY to old to acctually want one, I threw it on the floor (still in the box) and i think its in a closet somewhere because my mom said "it might be worth something some day!" Yea right!!!

animal_rescue
11-17-2005, 07:55 PM
a barbie when i was 14!!??!?

OMG! Same here, I was soo mad that they didn't even realize I wasn't into barbies!!

areias
11-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Hmm, I don't really get much I hate. The only thing is clothes from the grandma, half of which end up in goodwill with the tags still on it, or I say it dosen't fit right and I just get the money for it. :o I feel horrible for doing that sometimes though.

Oh and once I got a weight scale from someone, I forgot who...that was a little embaressing.

catnapper
11-17-2005, 09:26 PM
LOL... I got TP too, but there's a HUGE story to it -- Hubby and I got into a screaming match in the middle of the grocery store our first Thanksgiving together. Lets just say we were stressed over our first party together and the littlelest thing ignited into war. Anyhow, we had two full shopping carts, were about the check out and I remembered we needed TP. Well, he wanted Charmin, I said Scotts because of the old pipes in the house. Before we knew it, we stormed out of the store and left two FULL shopping carts sitting in the aisle of the supermarket - frozen turkey and all. Dad gave me a 12 roll pack for Christmas that year.... but inside was a check for $3,000 to get nerw carpets. I love my dad - weird sense of humor but heart of gold!

The worst gift ever had to be the year I expected an engagement ring from a guy, and he gave me some cheapo fake sapphire ring he got from a wholesale club. I never was so disappointed in my life. Ah well, that relationship was nothing but diasspointment, but it took me some time to realize that! :D

new mom to a veiled
11-18-2005, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=areias]Hmm, I don't really get much I hate. The only thing is clothes from the grandma, half of which end up in goodwill with the tags still on it, or I say it dosen't fit right and I just get the money for it. :o I feel horrible for doing that sometimes though.[QUOTE]

I'm with you...........My gran goes into the store and looks for somebody around my age and ask's them what they like :confused: This person is a total stranger.....sometimes with horrible taste!!!! LOL

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-18-2005, 10:13 AM
3 pairs of socks :eek: :rolleyes: !( given to me by godmom)
First, I hated the colour, second they were to small, and third, I didn't wear socks at that age.... :rolleyes: :D

I gave a really silly present to my then future brother-in-law when I was 14: a button, a needle, a clothespin and a some pins :D He was at the army then, so I thought I was giving a useful gift :) . My sis couldn't stop laughing :rolleyes:

buttercup132
11-18-2005, 10:26 AM
omg my grandma alawys buys every1 socks for christmas...SOCKS! every year we go home form her house with new ugly boring socks....and then she buys my little suster somethign and makes her keep it at her house!!! :mad: how retarded! but wow ive kinda gone off topic andy ways my worst gift ever hmmm i think was a puzzle from a cheap dollar store or a colouring book..

mina'smomma
11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
The worst gift I was in high school and it was from one of my boyfriends. He gave me a sweater with my name spelled wrong and two sizes too small :rolleyes:

catlover4ever
11-18-2005, 11:12 AM
The worst gift I got was from my grandmother. I think I was around 13 or 14 and she bought me an EpiLady. Does anyone remember those? It's like an electric razor for legs but instead it rips the hair off your leg. It's claim to fame was that after you had used the product several times you would no longer have to shave as it would destroy all the hair folicales on your legs.

I decided to give it a try.....turned it on...riped out a bunch of hair and screamed because it hurt so bad....never used it again.

LoudLou
11-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Worst gift I ever got was from my wonderful hubby. Our first Christmas he bought me 3 little cactus. I can not stand cactus, nor do I like house plants. The just are not me..... Since I couldn't very well get rid of them without hurting his feelings, I watered them faithfully every day until they died.:o Then told Hubby, "See, this is why I do not do well with house plants!"

anna_66
11-18-2005, 02:43 PM
My SIL, she has to give the worst presents of any one I know. She's cheap, cheap, cheap and there is no thought what so ever put into her gifts.

Let's see...one year there was a picture of herself (not even in a frame :rolleyes: ), then there was two years she gave us flowers from weddings she'd been in oh and then of course we got tp too. It came with a tp holder and cheap dollar store tp inside :eek: YUCK!
For 19 years this has went on, when will she quit giving gifts :p

Karen
11-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Whew! Lady's Human hasn't posted in this thread yet ... maybe he'll miss this one, else I'm sure I'm responsible for his "worst"!

Worst Christmas present I ever received? A lovely arrangement and basket of scented soaps and lotions, all of which I'm allergic to. But the giver didn't know that, so there are no hard feelings.

luvofallhorses
11-18-2005, 03:11 PM
the worst gift? ohh slipper socks. :rolleyes:

Suki Wingy
11-18-2005, 04:10 PM
I read this thread durring my free time at school, them thought long and hard and I can't really think of a gift I didn't enjoy or couldn't use.

cyber-sibes
11-18-2005, 04:14 PM
The worse gift I ever got was "nothing". This has happened a couple times from very close family. I usually get over it pretty quick, but it does irk me.

moosmom
11-18-2005, 06:27 PM
THE absolute worst Christmas gift I was ever given came from my elderly aunt a few years back. After she gave out envelopes of money to all her children saying, "I can't wait to see the look on Dick's face (her son-in-law) when he sees the amount of the check!" When it came time to my Christmas present, I was handed a box. By that time I wanted to be SO outta there!!! I felt SO uncomfortable. What was in the box you ask?? THE most ugly-ass purple and green striped shirt I ever laid my eyes on!!! I didn't even bring it home. I left shortly after, even though I was supposed to stay for dinner, and went straight to the Goodwill box. I would've settled for the money she paid for that stupid shirt!

BTW, her son-in-law now drives a nice little Lexus convertible. UGH!!! :mad:

PJ's Mom
11-19-2005, 12:03 AM
The worst gift I ever got was this horribly ugly shirt/hoodie type thing given to me by my dad. I opened it and just kind of looked at him, and I really tried to be gracious about it. I guess it didn't work too well because he told me to exchange it for something I liked.

I didn't realize it at the time, but it was the first gift he had ever picked out for me since he and my mom got divorced, (she always did all the gift shopping) and it was the last Christmas we spent together before he died. Had I known that, my reaction would've been much different. :(

Kfamr
11-19-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm surprised at some of the replies here.
Honestly, I don't think i've ever recieved a gift that I didn't like or appreciate. IMO, the fact that someone spent their money, time, or what have you on me is the gift in itself. I just like when people think of me, no matter the price or even if it's something I really like.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-19-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm surprised at some of the replies here.
Honestly, I don't think i've ever recieved a gift that I didn't like or appreciate. IMO, the fact that someone spent their money, time, or what have you on me is the gift in itself. I just like when people think of me, no matter the price or even if it's something I really like.

I see what you're saying, and I do agree to a point, but...
I posted about Justin's grandmothers making us things and although I do appreciate that they gave me something they made, I know they didn't put any thought into it. They both know I don't keep knicknack around my house and I know they didn't make it with me in mind anyway. Justin's one grandmother has a whole ceramic shop full of things that all look the same, she just goes through and grabs things to give to us, never giving it any thought. How many years can she give out ceramic ducks to almost everyone in the family. I don't need them to spend any money on me, but a little thought wouldn't hurt. One of them doesn't even take the time to learn how to correctly spell my name.

catnapper
11-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Kay, you are lucky to have people who actually put THOUGHT into gifts. Its a sad fact that most people DO NOT. I spend hours planning, thinking, searching for the perfect gifts for someone. I don't just walk into WalMart the day before and snatch something up and wrap it. Many of the gifts people are complaining about are often ones you pick up, and wrap in red for a girl, green for a boy, and just hand them out without knowing which boy or girl is receiving them. It hurts even more when its a loved one who should know you better. Most of the gifts mentioned are the type of gifts that people buy to do secret santa stuff in the office where you give $5 gifts every day til the final day. Socks? come on.... I love fun socks, but not as my main gift from grandma!

I remember the year I wanted a Cabbage Patch doll way back in 1982. Man, I wanted one so bad I could only think of Cabbage Patch dolls. I had overheard mom on the phone with my aunt saying she had gotten me one. So Christmas arrived, and I was soooo excited thinking about what my doll looked like. and Aunt Janet showed up with a small box for me. In it were gold earrings. What?!?!? I was devastated. I cried and hid in my room all night. My aunt had SOLD my Cabbage Patch doll for 3 times what she paid and bought me gold earrings instead. OMG, I didn't WANT gold, the ONLY thing in the world I wanted that year was a Cabbage Patch doll.

I understand my aunt's intentions NOW - she had thouht she got me a really great gift. But she was thinking about what SHE'D have wanted, not what a 10 year old would have wanted. Now, I'd LOVE to have someone give me gold earrings.

So now when I buy gifts, I try to think like the person I'm buying for. Sure, I might think a cactus is a great gift (;)) but will my reciever? My brother constantly gives mom vaccuums and kitchen gadgets -- she HATES that stuff. She's rather he spent the $100 on a nice portrait of the babies for the livingroom. Most often when a gift is deemed lousy, it is because its either inappropriate for the receiver or wrong for the relationship between the giver and receiver.

Kfamr
11-19-2005, 07:49 PM
That's why I said SOME replies here. Some of the gifts said in replies sound like nice gifts to me. The only one that I read (didn't read all of them) that I wouldn't like to recieve is the dead ants. :eek:

Uabassoon
11-19-2005, 08:01 PM
My mom is finally starting to get better. But for years she would get me things such as skirts, pantyhose, very feminine shirts. I know it's because she wishes that I didn't dress so boyish, but really just because she buys them doesn't mean I'm going to wear them! After years of me telling her that I always return what she buys me she finally started giving my gift cards to clothing stores. However she will often include pictures of very feminine outfits that she thinks I should buy with the card!

Uabassoon
11-19-2005, 08:03 PM
I also forgot that many years ago when they first came out my mom bought both me and my sister George Forman grills. My sister and I both looked at each other and laughed so hard. Then we both complained about how we were going to have to lug the silly thing back to our homes (parents live in texas and we both live in different states). I'm glad I never tossed it out because years later when I finally learned how to cook my Forman grill became my favorite kitchen appliance.

christa
11-19-2005, 10:00 PM
I can't think of any "worst" presents. I've always been easy . . . not very picky . . . I mean, it's not like I'm paying for it. Even when people ask me what I want, I usually say, Surprise Me!

Well, actually I can think of one . . .

My birthday this past year . . . my in-laws forgot it until the last minute . . . ran to the mall and got me a 20 dollar gift set from Bath & Body Works, in my least fav scent. I'm not stupid. I know they forgot. I think I ended up giving it to my mom. And I guess it just ruined it all knowing that they'd forgot. And then you have to also consider that they bought my brother in law (their son-in-law) a new wardrobe for his birthday . . . and he hadn't even married into the family yet! *geesh*

slleipnir
11-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Honestly, I can't think of anything...when I was a kid, however, I use to get upset when someone gave me dolls. I never liked dolls. However, the person I got them from wasn;t someone I knew so great, so I wouldn't say it was a bad gift cause most girls would have loved it.

I like anything I know people put thought into getting me.

It makes me sad when I spend a lot of time on a gift, go over to their house and they have other peoples gifts up (which are similar..but better) on display, but not mine. I don't really CARE, but it kinda hurts my feelings cause I spent so much time making it...so I really appreciate any gifts, especially if someone made it or put a lot of effort into it. No matter what it is.

Miss Z
11-20-2005, 04:08 AM
One of my grandma's friends always used to get me dolls, even though i hate them! AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH! If she was still here today then she'd still get me one even though i'm 13! She was a nice lady though:rolleyes:

Rachel
11-20-2005, 07:14 AM
This thread makes me sad because it does bring back memories of some very disappointing gifts. For many years when I was single, the only person who gave me a gift was my mother. It was always something particularly unsuitable and I had a hunch she might have received it as a *freebie* from opening up a bank account. One year it was a fondu cookbook. I didn't cook and didn't entertain and didn't have a fondu pot (not that I wanted one). What made me the most sad was that this was from my mother! Of course that also made me an unappreciative daughter. I would always tell her ahead of time that I didn't want anything for Christmas, yet she insisted on sending me these type of gifts. Another thing that bothered me was the sheer waste. Here were things that I didn't want and couldn't use and the money she paid in postage would have been a better gift. I could have used that.