PDA

View Full Version : What if they didn't exist?

Pit Chick
11-17-2005, 01:12 PM
January 1-7, 2006

CALLING ALL OWNERS OF THE FOLLOWING BREEDS: Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Doberman Pinschers, Boxers, Chow Chows, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, American Bulldogs, Akitas, Siberian Huskies, and Chinese Shar-Peis.

California will ring in the New Year with Breed Specific Legislation unless our referendum effort succeeds. We are asking everyone to CEASE ALL DOG ACTIVITIES from January 1 through January 7, 2006. This NO BSL boycott will end Midnight, January 8, 2006 (Sunday). Breed Specific Legislation threatens all the aforementioned breeds, and unfortunately, breed specific legislation is sweeping the nation. Many counties throughout the U.S. have outright bans on various breeds, and the list of breeds continually expands. We invite dog owners all over the United States to participate, but we especially urge California dog owners to be involved and make a statement about the new CA law!

What if all the politicians and misguided citizens who support BSL got their wish? No more dogs of those so-called "potentially dangerous" breeds. What would it be like?

All show dogs, working dogs, therapy dogs, search and rescue dogs, pet dogs, etc... PLEASE participate.

During the week of January 1-7, 2006....

DO NOT:

Shop at pet stores

Go to dog shows

Go to matches, trials, or obedience/training classes

Participate in searches (unless a child's life is in danger)

Engage in scheduled therapy visits

Visit a vet (unless an emergency)

with any dog that's of a breed listed above. This is ONE week only! You can do it! Make a statement! Show California just what it would be like without our dogs! It might be hard to forego all those things for a week, but think how much harder it will be if our dogs don't exist at all. Eventually, little by little, politicians are trying to legislate breeds out of existence. Let's show them just how much of an impact our dogs make.

DO:

Play with your dogs at home

Stock up on good toys and treats for them

Give them extra special loving.

PLEASE VISIT http://www.chako.org for full info.

PLEASE CROSSPOST! THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Jessika
11-17-2005, 01:23 PM
What would not going to dog shows or not going to matches, trials, or obedience/training classes have to do with stopping the BSL?? That would hurt the AKC or whatever more than the local government, would it not??

I can see how not shopping at petstores would hurt though, and MAYBE not going to the vet.

pitc9
11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
What would not going to dog shows or not going to matches, trials, or obedience/training classes have to do with stopping the BSL?? That would hurt the AKC or whatever more than the local government, would it not??

I can see how not shopping at petstores would hurt though, and MAYBE not going to the vet.

It would show how the world would be if those breeds were no longer around...which would be a horrible horrible thing. :(

lv4dogs
11-17-2005, 01:34 PM
It would show how the world would be if those breeds were no longer around...which would be a horrible horrible thing. :(

Exactly!

Jadapit
11-17-2005, 01:43 PM
The ban breed thing is getting really bad here in Colorado! They banned the pit bull and any pit mix in Denver, Aurora, now Federal Heights and Arvada are thinking about doing it also. Commerence City also banned them. Colorado Springs, Boulder and Pueblo are also thinking about banning the pit bull. It makes me so mad. :mad:

A 10 year old boy was attacked by his families pit bulls a few weeks ago in Aurora. The people owned 5 pit bulls. 3 adults and two puppies. No one was home when the little boy got home from school, the front door was locked so he jumped over their wooden fence to see if the back door was unlocked. 3 of the pit bulls attacked him. They think the dogs were fighting and the little boy jumped in the middle of it. It was so sad. The little boy lost an arm. The media blamed the whole thing on the dogs of course. :mad: Those people should have NEVER left all 5 pitties alone together that is asking for trouble. The whole thing was tragic for the little boy and the dogs. :(

poofy
11-17-2005, 01:47 PM
This is awfull..what next?? :(

.sarah
11-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Mandy is half Pit. She REALLY looked like a Pit when she was skinny, now that she's a fattie she doesn't look all muscly like she did before. Is this for the whole country to participate or just California?

Pit Chick
11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
I think it's mostly for those in Cali, but the more people participating everywhere the more the message will be felt everywhere, including those cities even tinkering with the idea of BSL.

caseysmom
11-17-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't condone breed specific legistlation and I have a soft spot in my heart for pit bulls, however I do agree with the spay/neuter approach that california is taking, I wish it were the same for all breeds.

DogLover9501
11-17-2005, 02:59 PM
When will all of this breedism end :(

Roxyluvsme13
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
OH MY GOSH! THEY CANT DO THIS!!!! :mad: That is SO Unfair! Over half those dogs I've never met a dangerous one! AND It's NOT the Dog's Fault!!!! Its The stupid IDIOT owners!!! GOSH!!! This makes me all mad...Sorry I just cant STAND this!!! :mad: Even though I live on the other half of the US, I will SO do this protest. This is NOT Fair!!! I've never met a mean Siberian Husky, or Akita! Boxer either!

lute
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
some of these breeds are my favorite breeds! i couldn't imagine NOT having them. :( :mad:

Husky_mom
11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
even i dont live in USA or have breed specific banning, i HATE that, and the people that support that only because a dog did something bad they blame the breed, blame the dog not the breed and even so blame the owner heīs the one responsible for the dog and his behavior (training). it makes me think of racism and i tought we were all over that......... now itīs with pets........so what would be next???

.sarah
11-17-2005, 03:41 PM
I've never met a mean Siberian Husky, or Akita! Boxer either!

I've met a lot of mean Huskies, as well as mean Rotties, GSDs, and Chows. However, it's usually either a result of bad breeding, a bad owner, or both. I've met well-bred dogs of each breed who are owned by good owners that are just as sweet as can be.

But, a Shar Pei? I've never even heard of them being aggressive! Is this the new breed they're going to start banning?

Roxyluvsme13
11-17-2005, 03:55 PM
I've met a lot of mean Huskies, as well as mean Rotties, GSDs, and Chows. However, it's usually either a result of bad breeding, a bad owner, or both. I've met well-bred dogs of each breed who are owned by good owners that are just as sweet as can be.

But, a Shar Pei? I've never even heard of them being aggressive! Is this the new breed they're going to start banning?
I havent! But It is probably because of bad breeding/bad owner! Any dog can become aggressive if they have a bad owner/bad breeding...

caseysmom
11-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Casey is a mix of I don't know what but she looks like she could have pittie in her, she is a total wimp. Bubba is half shitzu half poodle and he is more viscious, you never hear about the smaller dogs and what they do but I am sure they are just as aggressive.

Roxyluvsme13
11-17-2005, 04:00 PM
ALOT of small dogs, can be ALOT more agressive than the breeds listed YOU dont see people banning them, because of that do you? :mad:

Pit Chick
11-17-2005, 04:48 PM
I don't condone breed specific legistlation and I have a soft spot in my heart for pit bulls, however I do agree with the spay/neuter approach that california is taking, I wish it were the same for all breeds.

I agree with the S/N part also and also wish it was for all breeds then there wouldn't be a bunch of people breeding and creating more unstable dogs and therefore less dog attacks by any breed.

sammy101
11-17-2005, 06:06 PM
ugh thats so stupid. :mad: We should all move somewhere where we wouldnt have to worry about this B.S!
i havent heard of a Bull Terrier attack,ever.Has there been one recently,or are they just banning them just because they are related to a pit? Those poor owners in Cali :(

Suki Wingy
11-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Wait, BULL TERRIER IS ON THAT LIST???! :eek: :eek: :mad: :( This is so depressing!
I want to make bandannas that say something like "We support CA's strike/ boycott against BSL!"

Lady's Human
11-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I've said this before, I'll say it again. As long as people continue voting for politicians who don't use logic and thought and just pander to special interests we will continue to have things like BSL, regardless of how destructive and pointless it is.

new mom to a veiled
11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm sorry I cant do much from here, but I think this is a shame :( Ottawa passed legislation on pitties....IT SUCKS :mad:

caseysmom
11-18-2005, 09:19 AM
They are not banning pit bulls or other breeds they are saying they have to be spayed or neutered unless you are a licensed breeder. I think this is long overdue but for all dogs. This will protect pitties from byb's.

LKPike
11-18-2005, 10:15 AM
"Participate in searches (unless a child's life is in danger)

Engage in scheduled therapy visits"

thats honestly ridiculous.

LKPike
11-18-2005, 10:17 AM
ALOT of small dogs, can be ALOT more agressive than the breeds listed YOU dont see people banning them, because of that do you? :mad:

in my hubbys 22 years of work and thousands of dogs he runs across every single day in peoples homes, he's only been bitten once - by a 9 year old yorkie.

tz1
11-18-2005, 10:27 AM
absolutely ridiculous what's going on now with the anti-"DANGEROUS" dog sentiments..there are NO bad dogs...only BAD owners.

all dogs ever want is a loving family ..they don't ask for anything, and they give you unconditional , undying devotion and love for you.

my friend's pitbull and my akita, two of the so called "dangerous dog" breeds both met each other at petco and when they first saw each other started playing and licking each other. NO growling, no biting, no aggresive behavior at all..the dogs loved each other, and played very friendly, people at store were shocked. my friend's pitbull was even rolling on his back and my dog was licking his face!!

and what kind of an owner leaves all those dogs unsupervised..as a responsible dog owner,you need to know if your breed can get along with other dogs..some breeds have to be the alpha , and will not tolerate any funny business, and may attack if another dog does not defer

and as far as guard dogs go...humans have trained dogs for thousands of years to help do their work...akitas have been trained as guard dogs, hunting dogs, and fighting dogs...well, when they guard/hunt/fight, now all of a sudden they're not supposed to do what humans have trained them to do?...some owners really are just terrible

luvofallhorses
11-18-2005, 10:27 AM
If they didn't exist, I'd go crazy. :mad: I hate BSL! :mad: My soul dog (Jenny) is a rottie mix and I can't live without her.

Suki Wingy
11-18-2005, 10:37 AM
They are not banning pit bulls or other breeds they are saying they have to be spayed or neutered unless you are a licensed breeder. I think this is long overdue but for all dogs. This will protect pitties from byb's.
Actually not because someone could start off playing good to get a lisence then start breeding all of their dogs. Also, what would happen to owner handlers? That would ruine our sport.

cali
11-18-2005, 10:56 AM
a stand needs to be taken for sure, the list just keeps growing larger, last I check over 90 breeds were banned in italy, including-collies, border collies, corgies... one look at italy and you have proof that BSL snowballs, if you ban 1 breed for a single dog attack that you would have to do the same with ALL breeds, we would have more dogs :(

wolfie
11-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I think BSL is awful, but I don't know how I feel about this "protest"...

I mean, how is not going to a dog show going to do anything (except help the competition)?

tz1
11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
People are less trustworthy than dogs in my honest opinion! And we trust humans with guns, alcohol, cars....etc!

Anything can be dangerous in the wrong person's hands! DOGS included. But don't punish the dogs for what stupid people do!!

The STUPID politicians aren't just to blame for this, it's our horrible and biased media.

http://www.thenation.com/special/bigten.html

Roxyluvsme13
11-18-2005, 05:00 PM
I have to say...What IS not going to shows, shopping at pet shops, and all the other listed things...How is that going to help? :confused: