View Full Version : The American's Guide to speaking British.

ChrisH
11-17-2005, 12:55 PM
http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

There is only one word that is unfamiliar to me, most the rest I have used, some I still do, fairly often. :D

PJ's Mom
11-17-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm gonna start using some of those words. :D

Randi
11-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Cor blimey, it takes you back a bit, eh! :D I recognise most of these expressions, and I like them too. John used them a lot, and so does our friend Tim, across the road. I've seen Lynne use a lot of them too - where is she, I miss her!!

I remember hearing an old friend of John's using the word Beastly, and he IS a real snob! .... but still a nice guy. ;) I like some of words which are a little less rude than you'd otherwise use, like:

Twit - You twit! Not so rude as calling someone an idiot but it amounts to the same thing. Remember Monty Python's "Twit of the Year" competition? Other versions include "nitwit".

Btw, Chris have you seen AB FAB? I'm sure you know Faulty Towers! :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I understood MOST of them - although my favourite one is missing - who can forget when I DROPPED A CLANGER on the POTPLANT thread!!! LOL

.sarah
11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh. My. Gosh. I have to get movin' on my Southern Dictionary that my friends and I have been making. Y'all probably wouldn't understand a darn thing, just like I don't understand any of that :eek:

Killearn Kitties
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
:D :D A most imformative web site, Chris! I will take careful note of the ones that are more rude in "American", so that I can avoid using them on here!

PJ's Mom
11-17-2005, 02:41 PM
I just noticed that Americans aren't supposed to use the word "bloody".

Darn. I use that word all the time.

Guess I'll have to find a new word. :D

slick
11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
:D :D :D Oh my gosh, my Grandmother (RIP) used to say some of those things. I hear alot of them on Coronation Street too (I'm an addict :o ) Thanks Chris. {{{hugs}}}

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-17-2005, 03:29 PM
What a great link!! I bookmarked it right away ;)

ChrisH
11-19-2005, 06:50 AM
Funny isn't it? :D Glad you all like it.

clarebear
11-19-2005, 09:29 AM
I hate the saying "Ace" esp by common as muck here.

common as muck is an old saying lol

clarebear
11-19-2005, 09:31 AM
They also forgot my favourite saying

Sod off

Miss Z
11-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Funny i hardly ever use any of those phrases!:) Most british phrases round where i live are "hey up", "job's a good 'un" and " ya rite luv?" In lots of other countries, brits are portrayed as posh old gentlemen and ladies saying things like 'tophole' and 'balderdash!'. Maybe that's just in the south, but where i live i have never heard anyone say anything like that without being sarcastic! *One has to admit though, one does find remarks like that rather funny!* ha ha ha :D