PDA

View Full Version : Hubby gave us a scare tonight!!!

kimlovescats
11-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Jerry was taking the garabage out tonight, just before getting ready to go to work. (he works nights) Anyway, he came in to the bathroom saying he cut his finger ... I went in there and almost passed out! It was sliced wide open and pouring blood so fast! I quickly grabbed him a towel and told him to hold it tight. I was seriously afraid he was losing blood too quickly. I got all shaky and walking aimlessly trying to decide what else to do. We knew we were headed to the ER but I wasn't sure how bad the bleeding was going to be on the way there. I finally managed to get a thick washcloth and an ace bandage which I tied tightly around his finger ... that worked well. Luckily I was able to have him bend his finger inward so that it sort of sealed off with the wrap.

Long story short, after 2 hours in the ER he had 4 stitches ... and was extremely lucky that he just missed his tendon. It is a really deep cut ... right at the base of his finger .... so if it has been all the way through, he would have cut his entire finger off ... I think I would have passed out. He remained very calm, thank God! I was ok once it was covered and secure with the makeshift tourniquet! :rolleyes:

What happened is the garbage can was really full, so he was having to push down on the last bag to get it to fit ... well, a darn catfood can lid pushed through the think bag and cut his finger. I feel so bad because I was in a hurry last night and didnt' take the lid off all the way. Usually I take them completely off and put them down inside of the cans .... not this time! :(

So ... as a word of caution .... hide all can lids safely inside of something in your garbage!!!

Now to make this an official "cat" thread .... a picture for you!
(Jerry and So Small .... when he was still "so small"

Kim

krazyaboutkatz
11-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Kim, Poor Jerry. :( I'm so glad that his finger wasn't any worse and that he's fine now. :) The picture sure is cute. :)

jenluckenbach
11-17-2005, 05:14 AM
OUCH!!! :eek: Glad he is OK now.

And this was already an official cat general thread......after all, it WAS a cat food can lid. :D

So Small is TOO cute.

trayi52
11-17-2005, 06:45 AM
Oh, that had to hurt! Poor hubby! Hope he heals fast. I know how it feels to get the tendon tore into, I still can't bend my thumb! Thank God, it missed his tendon!

That is a very sweet picture!

Willie :)

MULTICATMOM
11-17-2005, 07:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/MULTICATMOM/f9f9e598.jpg

WE AGREE WITH JEN! :D

Sonia59
11-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Ouch, poor hubby! Stupid things always happen.

Thanks for the adorable picture! :)

Felix
11-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Sorry that you hurt your finger :( Adorable photo though :D

Cinder & Smoke
11-17-2005, 08:39 AM
:eek: OUWCHIE!! :(
Good Job on the First Aid!! ;)

Two Hours for Four Stitches?
They worked pretty fast!
:p

catnapper
11-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Poor Jerry! I hope he's ok, and that the finger heals well.

Funny you posted this. My uncle was changing a tire last night (something he does 100 times a week for his job) and something slipped and CUT OFF his fingertip! :eek: I haven't heard the final outcome of whether or not they were able to reattach it.

You want to know where my cat food cans go? In an empty old pail form 40 pounds of cat litter! LOL When its full, I put out a new cat litter pail and the old one goes to the recycling center.

furrykidsmother
11-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Ouch!!! I hope he heals quickly. What an adorable picture!

catmandu
11-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Thats a word to the wise as those lids can be as sharp as razor blades.
We are releived that your Husbands cut was not worse,and the Gentleman does not have to go in to have his tendon repaired.

kimlovescats
11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Thank you all for the nice comments ... Jerry is doing fine, just having to get used to working around all the gauze and tape! I got to wash his hair in the kitchen sink with the sprayer last night. LOL! :D

Catnapper, that is a great idea!!!! Recycling and safety first! ;)

Kim

Soapets
11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry he cut his finger, but I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it could be. The cat food can LID warning is a good one here. I like the idea of putting them all in an empty kitty litter bucket, too. I think I'll start right away. I have three little PIGGIES (er, I mean KITTENS) upstairs, and at least two of them are snarfing down the canned kitten food rather quickly.

The picture is really, really cute! I hope Jerry's finger/hand continues to heal, and that there are no complications.

Deb

Barbara
11-18-2005, 02:57 AM
I am so sorry for your husband (and glad it wasn't worse). But I am happy that this thread brought us the ultra-cute picture of So Small and him ;)