PDA

View Full Version : anti-freeze

toughCookie
03-28-2002, 08:00 PM
BE CAREFUL OF ANTI-FREEZE, IF IT LEAKS FROM A CAR, AND A CAT LICKS IT, IT WILL KILL THE CAT. I WAS JUST READING ALL THE CAT HEALTH TOPICS, AND THE ONE OF THE POISONOUS PLANTS MADE ME THINK OF THIS...IT'S SO SCARY ALL THE THINGS THAT CAN HARM OR KILL CATS, AND DOGS.:( :( :(

Karen
03-28-2002, 10:20 PM
There are pet-safe kinds of antifreeze one can buy these days - let's all do that!

AmberLee
03-28-2002, 10:59 PM
:mad: :mad: You know, I went looking for pet-safe antifreeze earlier last week and the local auto supply store not only didn't carry it, the assistent argued with me whether it even exists. :mad: :mad: Arrggghhh! I hate being treated like I don't know anything.

Upshot is now I need to find another auto supply store. Arrgh.

:o :o (I'm developing a nasty temper these days. Sorry, guys.)

toughCookie
03-29-2002, 12:08 AM
wow that is great news about the animal safe anti-freeze! I had no idea that it did exist.

Amber Lee- I don't blame you for being mad...given the way these people in the stores act like these days... to argue with a customoer...wrong. I know i sound like an old lady but its true!!

wayne0214
03-29-2002, 06:55 AM
During the days I used to work behind the counter waiting on people, you never argue with a customer! I have found that doing so proved you wrong. Most of the time they knew what they were talking about, because they were probably more familiar with new products than I was. And besides, it is always refreshing to hear of new things to sell at the store by the word of a customer. Personally, it has always been believed to hold every new thing you hear, even if it sounds bizarre, as (only) a possibility, and then the proof or verification of the idea will come around in due time.

.........wayne

AmberLee
03-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. And Spencer, thank you so much for the link. I think I'll print out the description before I go shopping again. It did not help that I knew the description but not the name of the antifreeze. Better luck next time!

wolflady
03-29-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion
Yep, the customer is boss (even when they are wrong :D ). The clerk/jerk needs to read up on Sierra anti-freeze (http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/ )

Yup! This is true! LOL I always used to hear "The customer is always right (even if they are wrong)"! LOL LOL

Thanks for the link on the anti-freeze. I also didn't know there was pet-safe kind!:)

Tigeress
04-03-2002, 06:13 PM
I thought I should mention a few household items that are deadly to cats that you might not think about.

Bleach, Pine Sol, Hexol or cleaners that contain ingredients with "phenol" in their chemical names, furniture and metal polishes.

A word about Bleach. Bleach mixed with urine (of any mammal) produces Chlorine Gas. Which is very toxic to all life. Never pour bleach on a large urine puddle in an enclosed area. When using bleach on a kitty litter box dilute the bleach (one capful to a gallon of water) and then rinse very well.

Rat poison, and moth balls.

Asprin (some people put asprin in their flower vase or Christmas tree water and don't think twice about it untill the cat drinks out of it!).

Tylenol, paracetamol, antidepressants, and acetaminophen. For some reason some cats love the bitter taste of human medicine.

Hair dyes, nail polish and remover, suntan lotion, and toothpaste.

Alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, and onions. (Also cocaine, Acid, LSD, and Weed, but I'm sure that is not a problem and is quite obvious!)

Milk (if the cat becomes Lactose Intolerante, which is very common).

For a list of poisonous plants go to:

http://www.geocities.com/cinbalgu/poison-page1.html

Chances are you have these items and the cat has never though twice about them. But if you see your cat eatting any of these items get him or her to the vet right away!!! The most common poisioning in cats is Anti-freeze and Asprin.

Stay Safe!

Cheers,
Tigeress

Lachesis
04-04-2002, 01:09 AM
Wow thanks so much for this post!!

purrley
04-04-2002, 12:35 PM
Amberlee - I'd get a copy of the article on Sierra Antifreeze and give it to that clerk in the auto store and tell him to put it where the sun don't shine.;)

04-04-2002, 01:48 PM
thanks for this post !!! very interesting !!!!
But is chocolate poisonous ????? waw , did not know that !!
Another question , to all European pettalkers : Is that anti-freeze brand also available in Europe (I live in Belgium ) ???:confused:

Tigeress
04-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Chocolate is poisionous for two reasons: theobromine and Caffiene. Bitter sweet and baker's unsweetened chocolate is far more dangerous than milk chocolate. Unfortuanly most cats like things that taste bitter so they are more likely to eat baker's chocolate.

As for the post itself, it was my pleasure to help you keep your kritters safe!!

Cheers,
Tigeress

04-06-2002, 08:12 AM
gee !!! now I understand why sydney is always ready to sneek into the garage whenever I leave the door open for a second !!!
Hiding -hiding-hiding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!