PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mandy...

chocolatepuppy
11-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Back in late Sept. when she was in heat (she's not fixed due to her heart condition) Mandy had an UTI. She gets them with her heat sometimes. This UTI drug on for over 3 weeks. Meanwhile ,of course, pups lick themselves 'down there' while in heat and she's kind of messy with her UTI's :o and it seems her skin in her private parts/groin area was irritated. We treated it with everything from cortisone cream to vasingil at the vets suggestion. Weeks later she was still licking so I took her back to the vet. It seems she has skin infection. She's on antibiotics and I was just using the cortisone cream to help with the itching. It seemed to work for awhile but she is just miserable. So we started her on benadryl today. The vet suggested it earlier but I'm so afraid to give Mandy anything because of her heart.
She also has allergies and her eyes bother her (it happens every fall) and I'm using an antibiotic/anti-itch cream around her eyes.
Hopefully we'll have her feeling better soon. I just feel so bad for her. Sorry so long, I guess that's why I put off posting, but I feel the need to ask for PT prayers and pawsitive thoughts for my sweet baby.

luvofallhorses
11-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Aww, the poor sweetie. :( Give her a kiss from Auntie Krista. She will be held close in my thoughts and prayers. ((((((annette and mandy))))))

Ginger's Mom
11-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Ah Annette, I am sorry to hear your girls are having such a rough week this week. Positive thoughts and prayers are going out for both Mandy and Lacey, they are such sweeties, and I want to see them both happy and healthy. Maybe the cooler weather and fresh winds that we are getting (are you getting them too?) will help get rid of some of the things that are bothering Mandy's allergies. Hugs to both of your girls, please.

lizbud
11-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Awww Mandy. :( I do hope she gets some relief soon. It does
sound like she is not feeling well at all.

chocolatepuppy
11-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Thanks everyone. Mandy seems to be ok with the Benadryl. It seems to be helping, she slept good last night. *fingers crossed*

petslover
11-17-2005, 01:05 PM
You sure are having a rough week with your pups not feeling well. Please give them a hug for me and I will be keeping you all in my thoughts. Get Better Mandy.

Jakesmom
11-17-2005, 10:40 PM
You might ask the vet for some amitryptilline. It is an antidepressant (for humans) and also pain relief. As a "side effect" it has excellent anti-histamine properties and is very sedating. My Jake (golden retriever) has had long term problems with allergies, and when they get really bad, they amitryptilline helps, if for no other reason than it is a great sedative and he doesn't itch if he's sleeping. Good luck. Jake's mom.

Corinna
11-17-2005, 11:14 PM
She can't probly use that Jakesmom as mandy has a heart conditon that prevents her using a lot of meds and seditives .

Mandy is a fighter you know she'll pull though this too. (Hug)

poofy
11-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone. Mandy seems to be ok with the Benadryl. It seems to be helping, she slept good last night. *fingers crossed*
Im sorry mandy has such a hard time, but glad she is some better.. :(

pitc9
11-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Ohhh poor Mandy baby..... :(
I'm hope the Benadryl keeps working.
Hugs and prayers to you and Mandy!

chocolatepuppy
11-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Mandy is doing ok, but if you don't give her the benadryl, she's right back to itching and chewing on herself. She still has a few more days on the antibiotics and then I will talk to the vet.
Jakesmom, thanks for the advice, but Corinna is right ,no way I want her anymore sedated than she has to be, that's one of the reasons I was afraid to give her the benadryl in the first place.
Mandy says she really appreciates all of the good thoughts and prayers coming her way! :)

Ginger's Mom
11-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Ah Mandy, sweetheart, I am sorry to hear that you still aren't feeling well. I was really hoping you would be feeling some relief by now. We will keep you in our thoughts.

luvofallhorses
11-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Sorry Mandy that you are still not feeling well. :( Feel better soon, sweetie. ((((((hugs))))))))

chocolatepuppy
11-21-2005, 07:38 PM
An update on Mandy... she's doing better but still has spells where she itches. The vet wants to keep her on antibiotics and the benadryl for about one more week. If she's not all better then we have to take her back in and go from there.

cloverfdx
11-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the update Annette :). Get well wished on the way for Mandy {{Hugs}}.

petslover
11-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Get Feeling Better Mandy!

K9soul
11-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Annette, I'm sorry I didn't see this before. Wow having a rough time lately, poor babies :(. I'm glad to hear a good update though. Mandy is in my thoughts, both your girls are! Sending hugs and kisses to them and wags and kisses from T&T. :)

Ginger's Mom
11-22-2005, 10:58 AM
We will keep the postive thougts going for our favorite ChocolatePuppy.

chermes
11-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Our lab mix female has constant symptoms of uti. Though the last time a different vet at the same clinic diagnosed vaginitis instead of uti. Our mix is spayed but they suggest a nip and tuck down there because urine pools in the loose skin around that area. Something to suggest to your vet. Also the vet did a vaginal swab and cultured it to find the right antibiotic, which turned out to be Cipro :rolleyes: Hope this may help.

chocolatepuppy
11-29-2005, 07:09 PM
*update* on Mandy: When I got home from work yesterday, Mandy was a mess. She had rubbed her snout almost raw and chewed a spot on her tail. :( We have her on a prescription antihistamine now for her allergies. I was suppose to give her one in the a.m. to start. At 4:00 a.m. I thought I gave her one, I found the pill in the peanut butter jar when I went to give her her antibiotic. :rolleyes: (I give her peanut butter on bread to give her her pills) That means she has had no anti itch help for over 24 hours but she's doing fine, no chewing or scratching. :confused: It could be because of the colder weather. Last Friday when it was colder she had a good day then too. So I started her on the pills, just to be safe.
I hope this is the end of it for her, she has been miserable for quite awhile. :( The skin infection seems to be gone, it's seems to be her allergies we're dealing with now.
Thanks again to everyone who has kept Mandy in their thoughts and prayers. It means the world to me. And Mandy thanks you too. :)

petslover
11-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Mandy sure has gone through alot here lately. I sure hope the allergies clear up. hugs to you and Mandy.

tatsxxx11
12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Poor Mandy:( As Tia mentioned, your girl has had a lot to deal with recently:( Sending lots of love and healing prayers her way.

Love,
Sandra

beeniesmom
12-08-2005, 02:34 PM
I hope she's better. Keep us updated.

chocolatepuppy
12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Mandy is doing well with the medication she is on.(Temaril-P) The last few days she hasn't scratched or chewed on herself at all. :) At first she was on 3 pills twice a day (due to her size) but was drinking and peeing way too much (a side effect) We have her on 2 pills twice a day until next Monday. Then we go to 1 pill twice a day for a week. Hopefully she'll be all better then or we'll need to find the cause of her itching.
Also, she is experiencing a false pregnancy again. :rolleyes: The poor thing, it's one thing after another.
Thanks again for all thoughts and prayers, I'm praying so hard to God and St. Francis that this is seasonal allergies and she will be better. She seems so much better now, playing with her stuffies and romping around, she just has to be better!

Daisy and Delilah
12-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Awww. Feel better Mandy :)

chocolatepuppy
12-22-2005, 06:54 PM
*update* Well, Mandy was doing so well on her meds, then she was done with them Monday night. Things were going good and when I came home at lunch to check on her today she was a mess! :( Her eyes were all puffy and she had rubbed them almost to bleeding around them. :( So back to the vets after work and back on some meds. Antihistamines to start, if they don't work I also have more Temoral-P she can get started on right away. The vet realizes this is a holiday weekend and we're not taking any chances. ;)
I put some neosporin around her eyes at lunchtime and went back to work in tears. :o Lord I hope she's better again soon. The vet says she may have to stay on something permanantly. I don't care, I just want my baby to feel okay!
Please keep her in your prayers!

luvofallhorses
12-22-2005, 08:40 PM
the poor sweetie. :( She and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
(((Annette))) (((Mandy))) Please keep me updated on her.

solares412
12-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Just kind of guessing here but do you think it might be something in her surroundings or food that's causing the problem? Maybe instead of suppressing the symptoms maybe it's something in your dog's surroundings like a carpet cleaner.That would come into contact with her fur, and she'd sit on it and it would irritate her bottom and the residue would irritate her eyes. Or maybe it's something else- some cleaner or spray or something in her food. Do you give her treats? Some of those things, don't know what's in them , but those commercial treats have made more than one dog allergic to them. Maybe get away from commercial pet food completely and don't use any sprays or cleaners, some carry through the air and get inhaled and can cause problems and allergic reactions.And some dogs are allergic to the grains that are in the pet food or the corn.

chocolatepuppy
12-23-2005, 05:11 AM
solares... Mandy has had allergies since she was a puppy. On and off. The vet feels certain it is inhaled allergies. Having researced it, I agree. I am very careful with cleaners as I have two dogs and two cats. It usually starts in the fall, possibly seasonal, and is now lingering probably due to house dust and the furnace blowing it around. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

lv4dogs
12-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Good luck with the sweetie.

With all of the issues you're dealing with I'd suggest spending $100-$200 for allergy tests to find out exactly what is causing it.

Hope she gets better & stays better!

chocolatepuppy
12-23-2005, 04:14 PM
lv4dogs, yea I know, I have already spent a fortune on Mandy. It has always seemed pointless to find out why when we can just treat it when it occurs. If we found out what is causing it,seasonal, house mites, dust, animal dander that would serve no purpose as it is nothing I could change. Thanks for the good wishes. :)

Ginger's Mom
12-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Ah, sorry to hear that Mandy isn't feeling well again. I will be sending up lots of prayers, that she will feel better this weekend, and be able to enjoy her holiday.

chocolatepuppy
12-27-2005, 05:24 AM
***update*** Mandy is doing well on her new antihistamine. Just wanted to let everyone watching and replying know how she's doing. Thanks for all of the prayers and good thoughts. :)

luvofallhorses
12-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I am so glad she is doing better!! :)

cloverfdx
12-28-2005, 12:24 AM
That is great woohoo Mandy, continue getting better :).