PDA

View Full Version : Spike

racing_gurl07
11-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Im not sure, but to me it looks ilke Spike is getting more yellow aorund her head, i read that you cant tell if they are male or female until they molt, but she was right before we bought her. here are some pictures.......... (you can see her favorite toy too)

She is getting so smart, everytime i come home she knows its feeding time, she will go by her food dish and sit their quitley until i put something in there, then she will chirp when shes eating. She doesnt chirp much,only when shes fed or when we came back home from phoenix, it sounds happy to me.

Shes still pretty unsure about us touching her, i dont know how long that is gong to take, she seems happy until you try and touch her.

racing_gurl07
11-16-2005, 06:41 PM
just seeing if my Signature works...

bckrazy
11-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Is her cage round? That could be making her even more uncomfortable, round cages can confuse birds. I suggest maybe getting a square cage with a curved top?

crazy_caique
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
My Emmy looks a lot like your Spike.If Spike has molted already yes she is a female.Emmy has that yellow on her head like that too.
I agree with Bckrazy.A dome like cage can confuse birds.
Spike looks so cute with her new toy and I see you got her a rope perch :)

jesse_3
11-18-2005, 11:19 PM
I really like Spike. She is really cute.

Sorry, I do not know much about birds! I do have a question though, why do dome-like cages confuse birds?:)

Steph and the gang

racing_gurl07
11-20-2005, 04:31 PM
this might be a dumb question, but dogs and cats get their "monthly" thing, do birds? like i said before, i never really was taught about birds and that kind of stuff with them.

.powerful
11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Dogs and cats don't get it if their spayed. As far as I know female birds do not get it, they do lay eggs though.

racing_gurl07
11-21-2005, 04:03 PM
i have been saying this for how long now...spike is still not comming around! :( i really wish i could hold her. she will come to you when u are by her cage, (as you can see by the pics she loves it when u take her picture) but shes still unsure about ourhands and we have been petting her everyday, will she ever come around? :confused:

Giselle
11-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Racing_Gurl, birds are not mammalian creatures and, therefore, do not have monthly periods. However, they do come into season every spring, and it is then your responsibility to *prevent* her from laying eggs. You can do this by frequently changing around her toys and treats to create an unstable situation. Birds only procreate under stable situations in which there is an abundance of food and nesting area. As well, you should frequently switch and buy new perches to prevent her from boredom and laying eggs.

Like it was mentioned before, you really ought to dump her cylandrical cage and buy a large, rectangular cage. :) Round cages confuse birds because they do not give a bird a corner to hide in. They can also flay a bird's tail feathers and it truly does ruin a bird's overall feather condition. Budgies, in particular, have been known to have gotten their beaks and claws stuck at the dome top. Cockatiels are not quite as known to get stuck on the dome top where the wires crisscross, but it is still a very real risk. I guarantee your tiel will be much more comfortable and willing to socialize in a nice, large, rectangular cage ;)

.powerful
11-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Give her time! I'm sorry, but you are being way to impatient about all of this! She is still fairly new to your home. Let her settle!