PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for little Cherokee

aly
03-28-2002, 05:48 PM
As I was leaving work last night, I glanced in the surgery suite to see who was being operated on at the time (our vet comes in after hours and does spay/neuters on Wednesday nights). It was a little puppy named Cherokee and they were losing her on the table. I didn't go in but I could read it on the vet and assistant's faces. I was too scared to call into work today to find out what happened so please pray for the little one.

I was there when she, her siblings, and mother were brought in to us. They had been abandoned and were living in an empty house. I have no clue how the mom (Tennessee) and all 11 pups survived with no food or water. Anyway, luckily the people who moved into the house took care of them right away then brought them to us.

Here is Cherokee:

http://www.austinspca.com/images/adopt/pets/dogs/HSOA007082A.jpg

And here's her mom, Tennessee (she's a lot prettier than her picture looks.. and she's actually hound/shepherd, not lab mix):

http://www.austinspca.com/images/adopt/pets/dogs/HSOA007118A.jpg

momoffuzzyfaces
03-28-2002, 05:53 PM
How sad! Prayers are on the way. Such a sweet little one. Please keep us posted.

anna_66
03-28-2002, 06:38 PM
Everyone in our house is praying everything will be ok.

tatsxxx11
03-28-2002, 06:51 PM
Dear Cherokee, we are praying that you are well, snuggling safe and warm with your Mommy and siblings at this very moment. You were just an innocent, vulnerable, pup, awaiting the wonders and joys of life and love. Please, please be well. Bless you little one. How beautiful you are.

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-28-2002, 08:07 PM
You sweet little Cherokee.......... You and your doggy family will be in our prayers.

sammi
03-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Will pray for the little pup and all her siblings and mama. Thank god for the good people who finally got them help. Thats so sad - guess I should not have read this b/4 bed.:(

Sudilar
03-28-2002, 10:11 PM
Praying that Cherokee will be ok, also her furfamily.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-28-2002, 11:14 PM
Oh, poor little Cherokee, and her family!:( I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers. Great pics!

Love,
Sarah & Sadie

LoudLou
03-28-2002, 11:49 PM
Cherokee and her family are in our thoughts and prayers.:(

aly
03-29-2002, 12:30 AM
I'll update you guys when I get home from work tomorrow night... :(

lbaker
03-29-2002, 06:43 AM
Aly, I'm afraid to ask...but I must.:( I can't get that dear little face out of my mind

purrley
03-29-2002, 06:48 AM
What a sweet, sweet puppy - I'm praying so very, very hard that this little life will be ok and she will have a very happy one in the future!!!!!

Pam
03-29-2002, 06:56 AM
Poor precious Cherokee. Please, little one, be OK. Aly we will be waiting to hear and please let it be good news. How could anyone abandon these sweeties. Sometimes when I hear what some humans are capable of it really depresses me! :(

jennifert
03-29-2002, 08:55 AM
Oh Aly, Cherokee and her mom are beautiful!!! I hope with all my heart that Cherokee is ok!!! Please please please.......

Please update us asap.

jennifert
03-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Oh Aly, Cherokee and her mom are beautiful!!! I hope with all my heart that Cherokee is ok!!! Please please please.......

Please update us asap.

Albea
03-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Crossed fingers and paws plus prayers for little Cherokee's recovery.
I hope the good deed of the people who brought him to the shelter will give the sweet little pup a second chance to a happy life.

wolflady
03-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Aw, those sweet little puppy eyes! I sure hope that Cherokee is ok! Do let us know what happened. I'll be praying for her, her mom and siblings!
**hugs**

tatsxxx11
03-29-2002, 05:35 PM
How is Cherokee, Aly????:confused:

lbaker
03-29-2002, 06:01 PM
Aly, I can't help it.. if that pup is OK, I have to take her home with me at the TX meeting...I will figure it out when we meet. I must have that pup. I want the mom too but I must have the pup. I'll figure it out when we meet. Oh dear, Laurie

see what you do to us?? You are a dear.

AdoreMyDogs
03-29-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by lbaker
Aly, I can't help it.. if that pup is OK, I have to take her home with me at the TX meeting...I will figure it out when we meet. I must have that pup. I want the mom too but I must have the pup. I'll figure it out when we meet. Oh dear, Laurie

see what you do to us?? You are a dear.

Awesome, Laurie!!! Aly, I sure do hope that little Cherokee is OK. He has the most adorable little puppy face and what a gorgeous mom he has! Please be ok, lil Cherokee. Aly, let us know how he is as soon as you find out...oh please let it be good news....I am staying hopeful.

aly
03-29-2002, 08:04 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!

Cherokee expired on the table but they were able to revive her!! :D :D :D Thanks everyone for your prayers. You all helped this little one get a second (well third) chance at life! She and her other sister who was spayed both actually got adopted today. Cherokee got a really special home. The rest of the litter is in foster care and will be spayed in 2 weeks. They need to be fattened up and blood tested before we do the surgery because we don't want to lose one.

Laurie, I'm so sorry. If I had known you were interested in her,
I would have snatched her up. If it makes you feel any better, she is in excellent hands. I had her mom with me all day behind the desk and she is really depressed still looking for her pups :( I'm trying my hardest to cheer her up. All she does is paw at me and whine and sit in my lap :(

I am going to plop in bed for a nap now because I am EXHAUSTED! I will check back in later and hopefully catch up on all the posts I've missed this week.

Sudilar
03-29-2002, 09:46 PM
Another little miracle!! I am so happy that Cherokee came back to life!! :):)

zippy-kat
03-29-2002, 10:07 PM
That is absolutely the best news I've heard all day!!!!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-29-2002, 10:52 PM
WAHOO!!!!
That is the best news!!! Hope the Mom gets a wonderful new home too!!:D :cool:

sabies
03-30-2002, 12:04 AM
so glad to hear a good ending, Mom looks adorable and of course all puppies are cute. You scared me sayig Cherokee expired...I was wondering what the Great News part was!

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-30-2002, 12:11 AM
What great news and what lucky peoples to get such a sweet purdy puppy. I am so proud of you Cherokee, you strong sweet pup you!!! Hope momma dog feels better soooooon.

sasvermont
03-30-2002, 04:16 AM
What great news! And the pup is adopted too! A double win.

Thanks for keeping us informed. This story is a real heart warmer, for sure.

What a wonderful group of folks you must work with, that would save a pup so young and in such dire need. Most places would have just let the pup go, since it was go young.

Thanks for sharing this story and such a happy ending, with us.

:)

Cincy'sMom
03-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Yeah Cherokee!! Hopefully all the rest of your family will be as lucky!!!

Dixieland Dancer
03-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Great News that Cherokee made it and found a great home! Maybe mom will be as fortunate. She is very pretty and it sounds like she is one terrific mom!

tatsxxx11
03-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Aly, that's the best news!!! I'm so happy for her!!! What a close call! A very special Easter gift from God for sure!!

aly
03-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Oh geez, I had another early Easter gift from God today. He sure is on my side.

I took the mobile adoption unit out to an outreach today for 7 hours. I had 4 dogs and 3 cats with me. I was the only adoption counselor there so it was a little stressful trying to get everything ready and keep track of everything. Anyway, I was at the front of the unit when something told me I should go check on the dogs. I walked back and Sheba's cage was open and she was GONE. I immediately started screaming and crying because we were parked in a parking lot by a busy street and I was scared out of my mind. I ran around in a few circles then I spotted her. I dropped to the ground and called her and she came running to me THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! Someone had probably opened it to pet her (which they WERE NOT supposed to do) and not shut it all the way. Thankfully she must have just gotten out. What another close call for another gorgeous puppy.

Here's a picture of our mobile adoption unit:
http://www.austinspca.com/images/mobileunit.jpg

And here's a pic of Sheba (4 month old German Shepherd/Chow)
http://www.austinspca.com/images/adopt/pets/dogs/HSOA006981A.jpg

ellensy
03-31-2002, 11:34 AM
God is really working w/ u. Thank goodness that you were able to have Sheba safely back w/ u. :D What a cutie pie she is.

Dixieland Dancer
03-31-2002, 02:08 PM
What a little sweetie! I'm glad she is safe and hope she finds a forever home soon.

Sudilar
04-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Another little miracle. Sheba is adorable!!!! How precious!!!!!

anna_66
04-01-2002, 07:00 AM
I'm so glad everything turned out good. Ohhhhh, I want Sheba sooooo bad! That little sweetie is soo beautiful, oh how I wish I could give her a big ol' hug right now! If she were closeer I would take her home today!:D

jennifert
04-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Aly, God is on your side because you are an ANGEL! How many times do we have to tell you that sweetie!?!?!?! ;) I truly believe that things happen for a reason and what comes around goes around. If you do something good for another, it will come back to you in some way shape or form in ten fold!
I know it's so hard for you being on the front lines in the battle to protect and save animals but you also get to see the miracles. I usually can't get to a computer on the weekends but I did think about Cherokee over the weekend! And I just KNEW that she would be ok! Because dogs are as close to perfect as us humans will ever know and God probably knew that we mere mortals needed her here more than up there! Pet Talk has been on a roller coaster ride that last few weeks it seems and I don't think any of us could have taken the loss of little Cherokee!!
You are so wonderful and big hearted Aly-girl! I have learned ALOT from you since I joined this board and it's made me a better person!!!! Keep up the good work and don't let anything get you down!!!!:D :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-01-2002, 10:29 AM
I have been gonesince Thursday morning and have lot of catching up to do.

I was so scared to read the rest of the post, but finally had the courage to scroll down and read your post Aly! I am so glad that Cherokee made it! What a cutie pie she is! And she has a new home too. Great news! Good luck to the rest of the litter and the mommy getting adopted!

ramanth
04-01-2002, 11:45 AM
What wonderful news about Cherokee, her family, AND Sheba!

God smiles upon his angels, Aly. :)

sammi
04-01-2002, 11:48 AM
Boy does Jennifert got it right about - what comes around goes around.
We need to keep things calm around here for awhile. I am so happy that Cherokee made it! And that Shba didn't get away.

tatsxxx11
04-01-2002, 04:42 PM
Oh Aly, what a scare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, you surely do have a furry guardian angel looking over you and your troop!!! Sheba, you're a doll!!!!!!!!!! And Cherokee and Mom, now that was a happy, happy ending!!! And Aly, do you drive that thing???? Now I'm REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY impressed!!:D

sammi
04-01-2002, 07:05 PM
Thats what I wanted to know! You don't drive that around doooooo you Aly? You could get hurt in that thing. If you can you are one h___ of a driver!

Snowy's Mom
04-01-2002, 07:26 PM
:D

Thank God that Cherokee is okay and got a great home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aly
04-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
And Aly, do you drive that thing???? Now I'm REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY impressed!!:D

HECK NO :D :D I'm even too scared to drive our little van, hehe! You have to have a Class C drivers license to drive that mobile unit, or was it Class A? Bah, you guys know what I'm talking about, right? The driver that went with me on Saturday was a real creep and said the stupidest thing after the Sheba incident. I was tempted to tell him to get lost and I'd push the mobile unit back to the shelter if I had to!!!