PDA

View Full Version : Is my frog just weird?

froggy_girl
11-16-2005, 12:42 PM
This september I recieved what I believe is an african dwarf frog for my birthday. Taddy (the frog) lived happily with a snail for a month or two and has been perfectly fine until this last week. One day this past week I thought he died. Later in the day when classes were over my friend and I went to clean him out of the tank and he started swimming again. Since then we've cleaned out the tank and he has been act funny. One moment he will seem perfectly fine and the next he'll be laying on his back at the bottom of the tank. He also wedges himself between the rocks and the tank upside down... Does anyone know if there is something wrong with him or if Taddy is just a weird frog? :confused:

Majestic
11-19-2005, 12:55 PM
I have never owned a frog, but I guessed it could be the new water. I have fish, everytime I change water, I have to treat the water with some solution to give a balanced pH or get rid of some other chemicals.

You may want to talk to a vet about this to reassure.

Jessika
11-19-2005, 02:03 PM
We had an African-something in my classroom when I worked in daycare. It would act weird too, but ours' eventually did die.

I'm sorry I can't help you more but maybe search google for African Dwarf or amphibian forums or communities where someone more experienced with those type of animals could help you?

Uabassoon
11-19-2005, 10:09 PM
I've had mine ADF for almost a year now, but I've never seen behavior like this. What is his tank like? How often are you cleaning it? What's the temperature at? What are you feeding him? Does he still eat or has he stopped eating? Also how often are you feeding him?

Sorry I know I'm asking a lot of questions but the answers will make it so much easier to try to figure out what is going wrong.

This is a great message board to check out as well, they have lots of people who have had ADFs for years.
http://p076.ezboard.com/bflippersnfins

froggy_girl
11-20-2005, 03:25 AM
Well guys thanks for the help, but Taddy has died. He some how wedged himself under the rocks in the tank and got stuck. When I found him he was dead. He was acting really weird. He was on the bottom of the tank on his back part of the time, swimming like normal some of the time, and othertimes trying to climb to the bottom of the tank. It may have been part due to changing the tank. We have a small tank and I know that doesn't help either. Thanks for the support! :(

Majestic
11-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Sorry to hear that, froggy girl. :(