PDA

View Full Version : Shall I adopt her?

Sonia59
11-16-2005, 04:14 AM
Yesterday I met a little furball at the home-rescue where I help every Tuesday evening. I have been thinking about her during the night, and this morning she is in my mind again! :confused:

Roetje, its her Dutch name meaning little soot because she looks like a ball of fur coming out of a chimney :) , is all black with a little spot of white hair under on leg (hardly visible). She looks like a British shortair, with a rond face, and very dense but short soft fur. She seems to be a very strong girl, or may it is just her fur... She has the cutest (very) little ears I have ever seen. I am in love with the little furball! She's just arrived at her rescue home so she was still shy but after a few seconds of belly rubs, she was purring. I think she is around 8-10 weeks old.

We wanted to adopt a friend for Peppito since some time already. First I thought an adult female would be the best choice for him because he is extremely jealous (spoiled) but easily dominated. But perhaps a young girl would be better accepted by Peppito, he would not feel her as a threat? Peppito is also easily peeing when he is stressed or when another cat comes into his home, I am afraid of that when introducing a new cat...

Many of you have so much experience with introducing a new cat in a home, what do you think???

I have to be fast, Roetje (will change her name if I adopt her, it is unpronouncable in French!) is not yet among the kitties waiting for adoption, but when she will be on their Internet website, I am sure she will be gone the same day! But anyway, the most important is that she finds a good home, and I will be happy with that! :) I would even feel a bit guilty to adopt this little pie, while there are many other kitties that people don't want...

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-16-2005, 04:56 AM
I always think that the right kitten chooses YOU, and not the other way around. Given that THIS particular one has made such an impression, then maybe she has made up her mind already?

Re the issue with the introductions - I am not sure what to advise, especially as you already know how Peppito reacts to stressful situations. I am probably the worst person to advise you, as I followed all the " rules" and after two years mine still fight on and off!!

Could you get some meds for Peppito ahead of time so when the kitten comes home he is already mellow and calm.

Good luck with your decision - it's hard to help at these shelters without getting attached, isn't it?

sasvermont
11-16-2005, 07:03 AM
It sounds as though this match was made when you spied her. I would introduce her slowly, to your boy at home, and if all else fails, she will find another new home, but I would try it first!

Keep us posted!

catnapper
11-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Fate has stepped in! Introducing ANY cat will stress Peppito out, so why not one that will adapt to the change the fastes? An older adult cat might require more adjustment period to Peppito, whereas a little kitten will adapt ina day's time. :)

There are tons of threads around here on introducting kittens/cats to your existing cats. Key is to go slow and keep them separated for a few days, so that the kitten can learn her new environment a nd your cat can get used to the new smells of another cat. Slow introductions are key!

Barbara
11-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Sonia do you really think you can come here and hear a "No you should think twice :D ".

Asking PT can only mean you have already made up your mind :D I am very keen to hear how kitty will be named. I think she deserves a more princess-like name than Roetje (which means Sooty ;)).

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-16-2005, 08:19 AM
No doubt about that, Sonia!!We did 2 adoptions here: the first one was Inka who was 9 weeks. The second one was Zazou who was 1 year old then.
Out of experience, I MUST say that adopting Inka was A LOT easier! Maya accepted Inka as her baby and washed her constantly.
With Zazou, I brought another adult into the household. It is normal that this much harder to accept to the others!

So, go and get that kitten!!! YIPPIE PEPITO, you are a BIG brother now!!

Hey, you didn't take any pics yet??? ;) :D

Pawsitive Thinking
11-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Just saw thread title but answer is YES

Laura's Babies
11-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Sounds like a purfect match and I agree with Barbara, you have already made up your mind and we are happy for you! Now yes... WHERE are the pictures??? What are you going to rename her? Any ideas?

catmandu
11-16-2005, 09:16 AM
I think that Peppito and the New Cat may hiss at each other at first,but think of all the Photos of Cats curled together.
I know that you would not want to deny your Cat a Friend,one of his own kind to be Pals with.
Just keep them seperated for a week or two,and eventually we will be able to see anothe Cat Dynamic Duo.
That Kitty needs YOU!!!!!!

Sonia59
11-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you. And you are right, I am stupid to post this, because the answer can only be YES! :D

It's hard to help in a shelter (I mean you get attached), but I find it harder for the old or sick cats because you think they will never be adopted and that you have to do something for them.

Yesterday, I have waited for a sign that the little pie chose me, but I am not sure... Of course, she was a bit scared by her new environment, so she would not have come and jump on my lap... And she purred, but almost all of them are purring at this age so it does not mean anything. But you are right, if she allowed me to melt for her, she probably chose me! ;)

I asked Peppito but he did not want to answer clearly! Cannot count on this boy :rolleyes:
I have carefully read some of the threads about introducing a new cat and it is very useful! This is also what made me think a young cat would be a better idea. Someone said that sexually immature cats are not perceived like a threat by the older cat.

In fact I already melted for this little orangie girl, and the time I decide (OK, I am not in a hurry and they always have new kitties) she was adopted! Look how cute she is!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/Sonia59/Imre.jpg
OK, I told her goodbye yesterday, I am sure she will be happy :)

So, this time I have to decide faster! Sorry Lut, I have no picture (yet!)

To Gary: I always admire your cat piles :D , but impossible to obtain with only one cat, even big! With two I would come closer...although I don't think Peppito will ever sleep with another kitty! Well, I would like to be wrong ;)

Keep you posted ;)

jenluckenbach
11-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I think it sounds like you have found your new kitten. :D I can't wait to hear more.

krazyaboutkatz
11-17-2005, 12:49 AM
I agree that introducing kittens or younger cats is much easier. :) All five of mine get along very well and it only took about 3-4 days before they were all comfortable with each other. :) This little black kitten sounds adorable and I can't wait to hear more about her and see some pictures too. Congrats in advance. :D

Sonia59
11-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Just called the home-rescue, I had to persuade PawPaw first...he wanted to think a bit more... I don't know what for, it's almost one year that we are talking about taking a sister for Peppito, but suddenly he was not sure little Sooty would be the right one! OK, I am the only one who saw her, it can explain! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Sooty is not adopted yet, so they keep her for me and we discuss more details about the adoption next Tuesday! So, I think I have her! I hope nothing goes wrong until next week and nothing will change!
Peppito will have to learn sharing! His pawpaw just told me: are you sure we are good purrents doing this to Peppito? !!! :D

Last night I was awake between 1 and 2 o'clock, and I started a list of names in my head... :eek: Do you think I am mentally OK thinking about the girl in the middle of the night? :D

jenluckenbach
11-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Do you think I am mentally OK thinking about the girl in the middle of the night?
YES! :D I think you are PURR-fectly OK.

This is so exciting. A new PT baby. :D

lvpets2002
11-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Fate has stepped in! Introducing ANY cat will stress Peppito out, so why not one that will adapt to the change the fastes? An older adult cat might require more adjustment period to Peppito, whereas a little kitten will adapt ina day's time. :)

There are tons of threads around here on introducting kittens/cats to your existing cats. Key is to go slow and keep them separated for a few days, so that the kitten can learn her new environment a nd your cat can get used to the new smells of another cat. Slow introductions are key!
:) Take this good advice & yes do what your heart tells you & Go Get That Adorable Baby.. ;)

carole
11-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Yes what are you waiting for GO GET HER, she sounds gorgeous, cannot wait to see her pic and for her to become part of the large PT family. :D

G535
11-17-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm thinking that you would not be mentally ok if you didn't think about your cat/cats during the night!

Looking forward to lots of photos.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Well Sonia, what is your decision?? Picked up that baby by now ?? ;) :D