PDA

View Full Version : Babies trip to the vet

Laura's Babies
11-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Samantha has been waaaaay past due and Chester was due last month but due to work and running up to Norfolk, I have been behind on my babies care. I called this morning and got in today.. LUCKY ME! Chester is still at 15 pounds, Samantha is at 8 pounds and so is Amy. Chester and Samantha are up to date now.... that funny vet, in feeling Samantha's tummy, asked me if I snatched her out of the litter box, her bowels are FULL!!

I took Amy along so he could check her since her condition seems to be at the worst it has ever been and he had to agree with me. He gave her a shot Dex/Depo....???? Suppose to make her feel better. We'll see. I asked him if I should make sure she excercized those legs and he said no, just leave her alone and let her go at her own pace.

I also discussed with him finding someplace close to home and close to HIM to leave them while I am gone on the boat and he suggested I leave them AT HOME where they are use to being, comfortable and happy... saving them the trama of that long car ride and being in a strange place. He said having Rie check on them about twice a week would be enough....... I DUNNO!!! What do all of YOU think?

Grace
11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
I agree with the staying at home part, but not the twice a week check. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving mine at home, unless I knew they would be visited daily.

They have been moving back and forth now for how long? They might be so used to shuttling back and forth that they would get depressed without the change of scenery.

http://bestsmileys.com/cats2/16.gif

Alycat
11-15-2005, 05:00 PM
HI

I agree with the staying at home part but not the twice a week part. Can you have someone come and visit them daily, such as a friend, neighbor, or family member. If not, how about a pet sitter? When I go away on vacation, I have always had a friend stay with my cats until recently. Now they are no longer single, or close by thats not an option. My parents come a few times a week when I am away. The last 2 trips, I hired a pet sitter. She comes once a day for 20 minutes. She charges $12 per day. She feeds them, changes their water, changes the litter, plays with them, takes the garbage out and gets the mail. Its a good deal. The cats are happy to have someone visit them daily.

catmandu
11-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Twice a week would not be enough,I think,the visits would have to be on a daily basis,just to change the water,and the litter box.
And I would leave them at home,as I knwo that the Found Cats would not care at all,to be moved to and fro on any kind of basis.
You have such wonderful Cats,and its always a pleasure to see them.

rg_girlca
11-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Okay now, this is just my personal opinion. I can't believe that your vet said it would be good enough to have someone check on them only twice a week. :eek: That's ridiculous.
Your cats are so use to having someone with them for most of the day. Can you imagine what it would be like for them to all of a sudden be all alone, day and night for a few days. Personally, I don't think this would be fair to them at all. This would definitely have an affect on them.
Is it just Amy that you are concerned with Laura? Is there a trusted friend near by that would be willing to take just Amy for you?

Laura's Babies
11-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I see all of you fell the same way I do. They are use to having humans around and I'd hate to see what them being alone would do. Shoot, when I brought them home, I brought Amy inside first, let her out of her kennel and went back out to get the others and I could hear her howling, all the way out to my car and she did it again today when I brought her back inside first from the vets. She does NOT like being alone at ALL!

rg- I have ONE neighbor that I would trust keeping Amy but she has a senior cat that is EXTREEMLY upset with any other cat even coming in for a short visit and he is a very nervous type already. That just wouldn't work... I am racking my brains trying to figure something out, just to have her closer to the vet.

There is no one I would trust to come in my house except for Rie and she is to busy to come every day. You just can't invite people into your house when you are not at home anymore like you use to. Already been burnt doing that.

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2005, 11:50 PM
I agree that twice a week is not enough. They must be checked on daily so that they always have plenty of clean water, food, and clean litterboxes. I hope that you have someone close by that you can trust to watch them while you're away. If not then maybe you should look into having a pet sitter do this.
I sure hope that whatever is wrong with Amy isn't serious. :( She may just be stressed out from you being away so much.

kimlovescats
11-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Laura, I also agree that twice a week would not be good .... maybe if you had started that way long ago, but I'm afraid the change this late would be too hard for them! I'm sorry that sweet Amy is doing worse, I hope the shot will make her more comfortable. I wish I had a good answer to your problem, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

(((hugs)))
Kim