PDA

View Full Version : Heartbroken

ramanth
11-15-2005, 02:28 PM
So I've been sick for the past three weeks. Finally got to a doctor on Monday and I am battling larengitis and a sinus infection among other things. I've only been taking Kia out for quick potty breaks. Well, Monday night, a little black kitten roaming the parking lot followed us home. I put Kia inside and called out to it. He ran right up to me. He knew who the sucker was. :rolleyes:

So I let him in. He seemed free of ear mites and fleas and I gave him a dose of Frontline just in case. Kia was curious, Zam and Logan were pissed.

Kitty growled, hissed and swatted Kia, Kia backed off. Zam came to investigate, hissed, growled, kitty growled and hissed back. When Logan slunk into the living room, all hell broke loose. Logan went under the bed, haven't seen him since. I put kitty in Kia's crate with food, water, blanket, and litterbox. Howled, then realized he wasn't going to be let out, so nibbled some food and around 10 p.m. fell asleep.

He was quiet all night, woke at 6 a.m. and howled for my attention. I notice he never used the litterbox. I let him out for a little bit. Hissed and growled at Kia and Zam.

He peed in my sink and on my floor. :eek: :( Put him back in the crate where he howled and try to break out. He nearly broke his leg in the process.

Took him to the vet at 9:30. He got a clean bill of health and was FLV negative. I decided to vaccinate him.

So I took the documentation and him over to the shelter. The thought continually crossed my mind that I could try to foster him, but Logan and Zam were stressed out and they are my loves and my first and foremost concern.

He was so quiet in the car. Till we got close to the shelter and then he mewed at me. I just started bawling.

Got my composure back and went inside. A woman was surrendering what must of been her pet. A gorgeous young black lab. The lab was glued to her side as she cried filling out the paperwork. When the officer tried to take the dog to the back, it broke it's collar and ran right back to the woman. I started to cry again. (Took the officer several attempts as it kept breaking it's collar and each time was more heartbreaking to witness)

The woman behind the counter acknowledged me and asked if I was bringing in a stray. I confirmed. She asked if there was any way I could keep it. I told her if there was, I wouldn't be there. She was sympathetic...her co-worker was not. Couldn't believe I had spent the money I did on the kitty at the vet to not keep it. I just said I wanted to help the shelter any way I could and if that meant me eating the cost of vaccinating the cat, so be it. The rude woman came out to look at the cat and told me that by surrending it they could not guarentee him a home nor would they give me a "last chance" call. I was heartbroken but told her I understood.

He just sat in the carrier and purred. When a volunteer came to claim him, I gave him a kiss on the head and wished him luck. He'll make a great pet if someone adopts him.

Before I left I made a donation to the shelter.

I bawled the whole way home and hugged Kia and Zam. Logan still won't come out from under the bed. :(

I hope I did the right thing.

Kimmy (in tears)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_7331.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_7333.jpg

Uabassoon
11-15-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the kitty. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to drop him off. But I know that you did the right thing. Good luck little guy, I know you will find a great home!

Barbara
11-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Aaawwww what a sweetie this guy his. These looks! :)

My-oh my- I can understand you- but what could you do - with Kia, Logan and Zam being stressed?

I hope he will be adopted soon as he is more than cute.

Samantha Puppy
11-15-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm in tears too and I didn't even witness the Lab running back to its "owner" or you taking the kitty in. Freakin' pregnancy hormones. :( *sniff* I hope both those poor souls have a happy ending with families that love them.

As for the nasty woman - there should be no place for people like that in shelters. :mad: :mad:

Sorry, Kimmy... I'm right with you in tears, if that helps any.

finn's mom
11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
You did do the right thing, that cat has a chance, now. And, he's beautiful and young. Animal lovers are awesome, but, you really have to be people lovers, too...because they go hand in hand, and, it drives me nuts when someone is that rude at an animal shelther. She shouldn't be working in the front where she has to deal with people. And, that poor puppy, there's just no way I could surrender a pet like that. :(

lv4dogs
11-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Oh my what sad stories.
I sure hope both blackies get adopted to great loving homes.

Lobodeb
11-15-2005, 03:30 PM
I know how you feel. You may or may not have seen the thread I posted when a little mini dobe ended up in my yard.

I did the same thing you did, took her in, crated her for the night, Sammy flipped out, hubby was furious. I wished I could have fostered her until we found her owners, but I had to think about my immediate family first. My poor Sammy had been in an altercation with a Pit Bull that I had tried to foster. He's now traumatized by other dogs. I couldn't do this to him again.

I thought I had done a good thing by taking her to a shelter, verifying that she was chipped and then releasing her so they could find her owners, only to find out that things could have still gone wrong. Her owners could have moved, not wanted her etc.

I think you did do the right thing. The shelter will call you if no one adopts him.

Keep your chin up! He's safer in the shelter than on the streets.

moosmom
11-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Kimmy,

I'm crying right now, so I can feel your pain. But, like you said, Logan, Kia and Zam come first. Especially in your tiny living quarters. He's beautiful though.

I'll pray that he finds a home quickly. That 6itch that was so rude to you has no business working at a shelter with her attitude. But I guess you become "hardened" after seeing so many animals come and go. It's part of the job.

((((((HUGS)))))) to you.

carole
11-15-2005, 06:11 PM
AWW I am crying too just looking at his beautiful face, he is gorgeous, I sure hope he gets a home , he deserves one so badly, I know how you must be feeling, but you did the best you could in the situation, he might be one of the very lucky ones ya know, HUGS to you, as I know how heartbroken you must be feeling.

dukedogsmom
11-15-2005, 06:33 PM
I really know exactly how you feel. That story about the lab is horrible. Why was that woman surrendering the poor thing? She must have no heart at all. I've taken quite a few animals to animal control, knowing what might be their fate. But, it's better than them starving or worse. You've got to remember that you can't save them all, though I know how it feels to want to do so. We simply can't take on everyone else's irresponsibility. I just wish that more people in the world would realise what a commitment getting an animal is and then there would be less chances of things like this happening. It breaks my heart, too. I pray both the cat and dog find good, loving homes. The homes they deserve.

Fett
11-15-2005, 07:07 PM
:mad:
:(

lizbud
11-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Aww, I'm sorry Kim. :( The black kitten looks like my Joey. That kind
of incident would have broken my heart as well. So sad. :(

.sarah
11-15-2005, 08:44 PM
:( :( :( That's awful, but I hope both the kitty and the dog get adopted. The poor woman must have something going on where she can't keep the dog anymore. She wouldn't be crying if she didn't love it. :(

elizabethann
11-16-2005, 07:51 AM
ramanth, I know exactly how you feel. I cried just reading your thread. There was a kitten hiding under the apartment building for about 3 weeks. Nobody could get close to her. Everyone was feeding her but she'd eat and then run back under the building. Well one night I went to feed her and she came over and ate. I was able to grab her and brought her in. I gave her food, a towel and a litter box and left her in the bathroom with the lights on until the next morning when I could call the vet and make an appointment to bring her in.

I brought her into the vet and got the necessary shots and made sure she didn't have any diseases. She was free to roam my small apartment. I have 2 cats and a dog so I knew I wouldn't be able to keep her. I began to look for someone who wanted a kitten. My neighbor (who was helping me try to catch her) had a friend who was interested. So we set a date for her to come & get the kitten (who I named Moose). I trust my neighbor completely (she has 2 cats herself) and I knew I could trust her when she said her friend was a responsible pet owner. Well my neighbor, her husband and their friend came over to meet with Moose and to finally take her home.

As soon as the door closed to my apartment, I started to bawl my eyes out. I didn't think I would be sad that Moose was leaving. I didn't think I was that attached to her (though she loved sleeping on my head at night). I knew I was doing the right thing because I couldn't have another cat. But it was so painful just the same. I wanted to chase after them and take her back, but I knew I couldn't. It took me about 2 months to get over the pain. Luckily for me, my neighbor has given me a few updates on Moose. She is doing well with her new family. That makes me feel good. But I still think about how life would be if I kept Moose with me.

Just looking at your pictures, I'm sure she will find a good home. She is very very cute. The fact that she's a kitten is a plus. Everybody wants to adopt kittens. You did the right thing, bringing her to the shelter. It's a shame you had to deal with the "idiot rude woman". Personally, I'd write a letter to the Executive Director of that shelter to complain about her.

Please don't feel sad. You helped that little kitten. She is now warm, healthy and with a full stomach. You did what many people wouldn't do - you helped save a life.

Take care. I hope you feel better.

RobiLee
11-16-2005, 08:18 AM
{{{BIG HUGS}}}

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. I know how heartbreaking it is. A very long time ago I once took a pup to our humane society. She was a stray and very sick. I had no money at that time and no way of taking care of her. It broke my heart to take her there.

Feel better, Kim.

ramanth
11-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys. *HUGS* I knew YOU would understand.

Logan was still under the bed when I got home but the tension was gone. While watching TV I heard a strange sound. I turned down the volume. Kia was sleeping on the floor, belly up, snoring away. Curled up next to her, was Zam, purring in her sleep. It was such a nice peaceful scene.

Just as I was getting ready for bed, Logan slunk out from under the bed. Wouldn't come near me and you could tell he was scared that a Boogie Cat would jump out of the shadows. He flinched at every little noise. :(

I cried myself to sleep and believe me, crying and sinus infections don't mix. Gah! I thought my head would explode. I kept second guessing myself. Which is worse? Him living in a cage and possibly being euthanized or battling the cold and snow that is just around the corner? It nagged at me.

Had a horrible thought that the rude woman had the little guy euthanized just to spite me. But then again, she did stress to the other woman to keep the paperwork with his record that I had him tested and vaccinated. I think she was just stressed out. I can't imagine it's an easy job and it's one I could never do.

I think I'm worrying too much.

Zam surprised me in the night. I woke to her licking tears off my cheeks. My sweet girl.

And a more pleasant surprise when I stepped out of the shower this morning. Logan was there and wanted to give me kisses. :)

That made my day.

I hope the wee black kitty knows that I love and care about him and I did what I thought was best.

RobiLee
11-16-2005, 08:25 AM
{{{MORE BIG HUGS FOR YOU}}}

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Kim, I am crying with you. I have the same emotions every time I drop off kittens at our high-kill shelter - it is just So damn hard to care as much as we do - we just open ourselves up for all kinds of heartache.

You really did what was best - you have given that kitten the best possible chance of finding a home, and it is one less cold hungry kitten living on the streets.

((((HUGS))))

pitc9
11-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Oh Kim... {Hugs} to you...
You DID do the right thing, and yes, he does know what you did for him and for that he'll love you for ever. Even once he's in his new home ;)
Can you keep an eye on him at the shelter to see if/when he's adopted out?
I had to call a pound yesterday to find out about a dog... I was crying as they put me on hold to check his file. http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=92917
You've got a great group of furkids to comfort you in your time of need!
Maybe they were thanking you for helping one of their own.
{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

poofy
11-16-2005, 11:07 AM
:( that is so sad..hope they find really wonderful homes soon.. :(