PDA

View Full Version : Shiba Inus

.sarah
11-14-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm so shocked right now. I always thought Shiba's we're 40-50 lbs come to find out it's 20ish lbs. WOW. I mean, I don't know much at all about the breed and I've never seen one in real life, and by pictures they just *look* like they'd be bigger. Who knew?? Okay, maybe all of you knew but I didn't lol.

Jessika
11-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Yeah until I saw one in real life, I thought the same! hehe

Uabassoon
11-14-2005, 11:16 PM
I always thought the same thing! There used to be a PT member with a Shiba and in all the pictures she posted I thought she was much larger. I was so suprised when I found out how small they actually were.

AllAmericanPUP
11-14-2005, 11:16 PM
i use to think they were a bigger breed too!
I met one in person at the dog park a couple years ago..collest, cutest lil guy ever!!

tz1
11-14-2005, 11:18 PM
there are 6 japanese spitz type dogs if i recall correctly, the akita being the largest and the shiba the smallest. I knew they were pretty small but 20 pounds , hehe, they must be really cute. ;)

RobiLee
11-15-2005, 06:24 AM
I've always known they were small but for some reason every time I see one in person I'm always surprised at how small they really are.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Shiba Inus are awesome! We have a few that come in to my boarding facility. There is also one in Nacey's training class, his name is Kai and he is totally awesome. Kai and Nacey are so cute together, Justin and I call him Nacey's boyfriend. Nacey is the smallest dog in her class, Kai is the closest to her size and they get along great.

there are 6 japanese spitz type dogs if i recall correctly, the akita being the largest and the shiba the smallest. I knew they were pretty small but 20 pounds , hehe, they must be really cute. ;)
There are a lot more than 6 breeds that are considered spitz-type dogs. Pomeranians are among the smallest, most weighing in around 5-7 pounds.

4 Dog Mother
11-15-2005, 08:24 AM
I too thought Shiba Inus were bigger. I read about one recently and it said it was about 20 lbs. and I thought they must be wrong about the breed.

Ginger's Mom
11-15-2005, 08:47 AM
I LOVE Shiba Inus. I first saw one up close and personal at a dog show back in 1993 I think it was (whatever the year was that they were admitted into the AKC). They were referring to them as miniature akitas. They are a big dog in a little dog body, and I think they are beautiful. They were actually on my short list of dogs that I would get for about two or three years. However, after speaking with many Shiba show owners and breeders I have learned that they are not at all trustworthy off lead, and I would prefer I dog that can run at the park. But I do think they are beautiful dogs. :) (Sorry, that was probably more information than you needed/wanted :o. )

.sarah
11-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Wow, glad to see I'm not alone!

IRescue452
11-15-2005, 09:17 AM
The little shiba that frequents our dog park is most well trained and trustworthy off lead. This is the only shiba I see so I'd figure they are all very easily trained and good off leash. They are very tiny, about 16 inches. Their head makes them look tall though, it goes straigt up and makes them seem taller. You either have to meet them in person or find a picture with sometihing in the background to measure them to. I used to think the Bergamasco was huge until I met one in person, I was so disappointed to find how small they are.

http://www.asahanna.com/photos/asagigrtwo.jpg

.sarah
11-15-2005, 09:19 AM
I was so disappointed to find how small they are.
Me too. :(

cyber-sibes
11-15-2005, 09:44 AM
I have a friend that has a Shiba Inu, and seeing hers was my first exposure to the breed. They are adorable! Lots of energy - the person she got hers from described them to her: "think siberian-on-caffine"! :D They also blow their coat like huskies. I've thought about maybe getting one in a few years.

wolfsoul
11-15-2005, 09:53 AM
There are a lot more than 6 breeds that are considered spitz-type dogs. Pomeranians are among the smallest, most weighing in around 5-7 pounds.
She said Japanese spitz breeds; Pomeranians are not Japanese, they are from Pomerania.

For some reason I always thought they were alot SMALLER than they are. Even though I know what size they are, I'm always surpised to see how big they are. We get shibas in at the shop fairly often (probably because there is a breeder 40 min away). They are really hard to bathe and groom.

jackie
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
I have only seen one Shiba and he was adorable, but he had to be on-leash all the time, or he was gone.

4 Dog Mother
11-15-2005, 12:49 PM
I finally thought of who used to post a lot with a Shiba Inu (as you get older, the memory is just lost). Her name was Emily and her Pet Talk Name was Lovemyshiba. Kito was her shiba but she also had a beagle named Abbey, a lab mix named Riley and a rott mix named Jada. I don't know why I didn't get from her pictures how small Shibas are.

tz1
11-15-2005, 03:11 PM
She said Japanese spitz breeds; Pomeranians are not Japanese, they are from Pomerania.

For some reason I always thought they were alot SMALLER than they are. Even though I know what size they are, I'm always surpised to see how big they are. We get shibas in at the shop fairly often (probably because there is a breeder 40 min away). They are really hard to bathe and groom.

Actually, I am a he...at least ,the last time i checked

and yes, I said that there were 6 Japanesespitz type breeds :D