PDA

View Full Version : Doggy diapers?

JenBKR
11-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Ok, I know it sounds weird. I posted here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=92851 about Roscoe's peeing in the house problem. I am trying to find a solution, and someone at work recommended doggy diapers. I looked them up at Petsmart: [http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9234&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032890&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1131981083840 Anyone ever used these? I am a little hesitant, would anything like this actually work?? They seem a little odd, and I've never heard of anyone using them, but I need to do something. My idea was using a crate, but I'm open to ideas. Help???

poofy
11-14-2005, 09:38 AM
I really dont have a lot of experence but from what I have heard crateing is a good idea..I Hope you get it solved.. :D

Suki Wingy
11-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I was going to suggest those! and yes, I assume he's already crate trained but don't put him in there after he pees so it becomes a bad place.

JenBKR
11-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I was going to suggest those! and yes, I assume he's already crate trained but don't put him in there after he pees so it becomes a bad place.

I don't know if he's been crate trained or not - we got him when he was 3 1/2. Unfortunately, I don't know his training history. It might be possible that his last owner gave him up because he peed in the house there too :( Thanks for suggesting them!

Suki Wingy
11-14-2005, 10:27 AM
If yuou don't have a crate, aI really suggest them. They can become a safe haven and cozy nook for your dog when he feels like he needs to get away.

wolfsoul
11-14-2005, 10:32 AM
My roomate uses doggy diapers on her dogs. Her one dog sulks when it's on him (he sulks when he has ANY clothes on though), and sometimes their little peepees fall out of the diaper.

Glacier
11-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I've always called them Belly Bands. I've used them before with good success. The dogs I used them on weren't fully peeing in the house. They were two dominant males (Muskwa and Bandit) who felt the need to mark everywhere the other one had been. I don't care what they mark outside, but marking my couch ticked me off!

JenBKR
11-14-2005, 12:42 PM
I've always called them Belly Bands. I've used them before with good success. The dogs I used them on weren't fully peeing in the house. They were two dominant males (Muskwa and Bandit) who felt the need to mark everywhere the other one had been. I don't care what they mark outside, but marking my couch ticked me off!

That could be what Roscoe is doing - he is a very dominant male (he wasn't neutered until he was over three years old, and my trainer said that makes him extra dominant :rolleyes: ). I only have one dog though...usually when he pees inside, there's not a whole lot, but I want him to understand that it is not acceptable to pee inside. Do you think the 'belly bands' trained them not to go inside? Thank you so much for your help!

Glacier
11-14-2005, 12:54 PM
. Do you think the 'belly bands' trained them not to go inside? Thank you so much for your help!

They certainly helped, in addition keeping an eagle eye on them whenever they were inside. Dogs don't like feeling wet anymore than a toddler does! Occasionally Muskwa and Bandit need a little refresher with the belly bands, but now an hour or two in them gets the point across!

Majestic
11-14-2005, 12:56 PM
I would not recommend dog diapers. Some dogs got trained with diapers, and they ended up urinating on the exact spot where you had diapers during the training period - meaning that without the diapers, they will do it right on the floor.

Crate train is the best method. Even if he has accident in the crate, clean it up right away with "Miracle" stain remover. Leave him in the crate at all time when you cannot monitor him. He will learn not to have accident in there because it is his dent. When you are ready to take him out for potty, immediately take him out of the house and ask him to go.

My dog had accident in the house when I just adopted him ( he was already house trained), I had crate trained him for 2 weeks straight, and he never had accidents ever since - nearly 4 months now.

JenBKR
11-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all of the opinions guys! He obviously needs more house training (if he's ever had any to begin with) and I got lots of good ideas :)