PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroidism, alternative treatments?

mollymc
03-28-2002, 02:11 PM
My 15 yr. old cat was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism approximately 6 months ago. Unfortunately, I can't afford the $60 per month medication. Does anyone know of anything that helps with this condition that is not as costly. Strangely enough, since the diagnosis, she seems in better health and in generally better condition than she has in quite some time. The guilt over not being able to afford her meds, however, is all-consuming.

lizbud
03-28-2002, 06:26 PM
MollyMC,

I am so sorry to hear of your kitty's illness. Please
TRY not to feel guilty. I know that's easier said than
done, but you are doing everything you possibly can
right now. There is a good online source of information
on this disease at http://vetinfo.com

It seems that there has been a lot of innovations in various
treatments for this. It does involve surgery in some cases.

Maybe checking this disease & treatments available at
the vetinfo site will give you more treatment choices.

Best of luck with your Beautiful Furkid. Liz.

mollymc
03-29-2002, 08:06 AM
Dear Liz,
Thanks so much for the kind words and the info on the website, I've already looked at it and learned some new information. I've also decided to make a determined effort not to feel so guilty and put that energy into enjoying life with CJ (and her new sisterl, Bubba).

Thanks again,
Mollymc

lizbud
03-29-2002, 08:30 PM
Mollymc,

You're more than welcome.

Please tell us a little more about your furkids, and
everyone always LOVES pictures...All the best. Liz.

tatsxxx11
04-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Dear Mollymc...Your baby is so beautiful! What a lovely picture of her. May I ask the name of the medication prescribed for her? Maybe you can speak with your vet about other treatments, as Lizbud mentioned. Please don't feel guilty. I'm sure she knows how much you love her, and that you are doing all that you possibly can for her. What is her name?? Please give her my love and lots of hugs and kisses. Sandra.

lizbud
04-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Mollymc,

Hi. Just wondering how CJ & Bubba are doing.
Hope all is well at your house !!! Liz.

mollymc
04-09-2002, 08:13 AM
Hi Lizbud,
All is well in the cathouse:-) CJ and Bubs are doing great! Thank you so much for asking. I had a scare last night...woke up to terrible yowling coming from the living room, I immediately felt to my right and left (CJ's on the left and Bub's on the right) and discovered CJ missing. I ran out to the living room expecting to find her in the throes of some kind of terrible fit; nope, she was playing with a toy and "singing" to it! When she saw me she said "Hi!" in that sweet playful way that only cats can, rolled over and stretched. After about an hour my heart rate returned to normal, she came back to bed and everything was fine. Gotta love 'em. My best to you and your gang,
Sylvia

lizbud
04-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Hi Mollymc,

Oh I'll bet there are quite a few people here who can relate
to your story; including me. LOL. I've run into another room
sometimes after hearing what sounded like one of my kitty's
"desperate crys for help", only to find them "just playing &
talking" to each other . Whenever I do this they all turn and
look at me like I'm the crazy one. LOL. What little characters
they are ! Hugs to CJ & Bubba. Liz.

tatsxxx11
04-09-2002, 04:28 PM
Great news about C.J.!!! As for the late night antics, and Mommy's fright...Naw-Tee Kitty!!:D Glad she's feeling well enough for a late night romp! Love, hugs and head butts to you C.J. and Bubs!! Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver!