PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things people say. . ..

Toby's my baby
11-13-2005, 09:31 PM
I thought it would be fun to have a thread about stupid/ dumb/ funny things people say. One that always comes to mind for me is when people say:

"life is short" - life is not short, its the longest thing there is. . . :o

What else can you think of?

CagneyDog
11-13-2005, 09:36 PM
"Dont worry be happy"
Some teacher said that to me a few days ago

Easier said than done :rolleyes:

.sarah
11-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Erm ... something stupid I said the other day:

My boss was asking me which two dogs I wanted to have the 50% discount on. I told her Nova and Luka because Mandy is usually wealthy. :o

So ... yeah, now Nova and Luka are poor :(

.sarah
11-13-2005, 10:58 PM
I thought it would be fun to have a thread about stupid/ dumb/ funny things people say. One that always comes to mind for me is when people say:

No, death is much longer ;)

lady_zana
11-14-2005, 05:11 AM
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - E. Roosevelt

Just another way to make people with anxiety disorder like me or with low self-estem feel bad about themselves...I've always HATED that quote.

Van10
11-14-2005, 12:01 PM
"Sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you" :rolleyes:

That is so not true. The wounds from verbal abuse are more long-lasting than physical abuse, In some cases it can take years to get over.

Suki Wingy
11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
"Pit Bulls are time bombs."
"Let God into your life." -STOP trying to push your religion on me!!
"Oh, are you getting a puppy?" When people see me looking at dog breeders on the internet at school.
"Dalmatians are so high-strung and unpredictable, why do you have one?"
Um, first of all, he's not one, second of all, no they are not!!!

Suki Wingy
11-14-2005, 04:10 PM
yeah but you can't think or feel or know because you are DEAD! :D

popcornbird
11-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I don't think 'life is short' is a stupid statement. It is infact very true. People say that to remind friends/family that we should cherish each other while we are around. One day, someone dear to us will pass on, and yes...life is too short to hold grudges, or 'not care' about things, because once someone's life ends, there would be things we'd regret, if we didn't realize life is short ahead of time. ;) You realize how short life is when you lose a loved one. Life can end when we are least expecting it. :(

CagneyDog
11-14-2005, 04:22 PM
You realize how short life is when you lose a loved one. Life can end when we are least expecting it.

Yup, I agree with this.

swimma253
11-14-2005, 04:32 PM
"you are so tall."

now way! :rolleyes: did you think i didnt notice? that drives me crazy.

And also...

"aww your hair is so thin."
Uhh... thanks? Is that suppose to be a compliment? I find it very insulting. :o :rolleyes:

moosmom
11-14-2005, 04:48 PM
"Do you know how LONG they'll be on the phone????"

I HATE it when someone asks me that when I answer the phone at work! How the hell should I know????

Alysser
11-14-2005, 05:05 PM
"THIS IS CHICKEN!???" Said by Jessica Simpson while eating Chicken of the sea tuna! :rolleyes:

Flatcoatluver
11-14-2005, 05:26 PM
everybody wanna hear a blonde joke, would anybody be insulted?? and everyone in class lookks at me becuase i am the only real blonde in our class?

AbbyMom
11-14-2005, 08:31 PM
"Aren't cats cold and aloof?" :rolleyes:

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
11-14-2005, 08:32 PM
We're a family of four, and if you go through a drive-thru and get 4 large sodas... and only two people are in the car...

they don't give you a drink carrier?

And when I tell everyone I'm leaving to go to Florida in a week, they say, "Really?" No people. It's all a lie to make you look stupid.

Toby's my baby
11-14-2005, 08:35 PM
LMAO, good one!

sammy101
11-14-2005, 09:19 PM
the one i will remember for a long time is when we only had Kodie and we took him to a fair that was in the country side.. :p

"Look at the size of that dog!You could ride that thing" :eek:

CathyBogart
11-14-2005, 09:55 PM
When I'm looking for something and someone says "It will be in the last place you look"

DUH! When I find it I'm GOING TO STOP LOOKING, so even if it's the FIRST place I look it will also be the last. ;)

Flatcoatluver
11-14-2005, 09:57 PM
When I'm looking for something and someone says "It will be in the last place you look"

DUH! When I find it I'm GOING TO STOP LOOKING, so even if it's the FIRST place I look it will also be the last. ;)
ha ha ha never thought of that!!!

Van10
11-15-2005, 11:24 AM
"You're so small!" (I'm 5"2). I absolutely HATE when people say that! :mad: :mad: REEEEALLY???? I didn't notice! :rolleyes:
And when I was younger people would always comment that I was "such a shy little thing". :mad: :rolleyes:

So what?!!!! :confused:

PJ's Mom
11-15-2005, 12:49 PM
I am the queen of saying stupid things, so I rarely make fun of or complain about people who say stupid things.

The checker at the grocery store says, "Come back". I say, "You too!" :rolleyes: :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Whenever I go to a docs appointment, my hubby keeps asking me: "when will you be back"?? Difficult to answer, right :rolleyes:

Years ago, when we were trying to get pregnant, some people said really stupid things, like: Well, when will you finally start having a family", and to my hubby "Do you need me to make a picture"?? :mad: :eek: :eek:

caseysmom
11-15-2005, 01:12 PM
I went through 9 years of infertility Lut I know what you mean...there were a lot of really insensitive comments.

mina'smomma
11-15-2005, 03:23 PM
As some of you know I've been suffering from medical problems as a side effect of my birthcontrol. So yours truely has been going through one medical test after the next. My dad looks at me today after sitting there listening me to tell my mom about feeling like a pin cushion from all the pokes I've suffered from, and askes.......

You're going to a doctor for your problem right???? (no dad I'm getting poked with needles for the fun of it!) :rolleyes:

I can very much sympathize with you Lut. People can be such jerks.

CathyBogart
11-15-2005, 05:14 PM
*Chuckles* A few years ago, someone was chastixing one of my friends for being childfree...they asked her "Are you TRYING to get pregnant??" and she answered "Well, actually, lately we've been doing more *interesting things that won't get you pregnant but I can't post here* but maybe soon we'll start *Activity that will get you pregnant* again."

The only time I laughed so hard that I DID fall over!

sumbirdy
09-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Everytime i ask my brother something he says "do you want me to be honest?" or "Honestly?"
No! I want you to lie to me. :rolleyes:

Sevaede
09-27-2006, 11:15 AM

Heh, I remember a George Carlin sketch about "life is short". He said, "Life is short? What the hell? Life is the longest damn thing anyone ever does!" and goes on to say something like he'd like to see if you've done anything longer. :D

Sevaede
09-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't think 'life is short' is a stupid statement. It is infact very true. People say that to remind friends/family that we should cherish each other while we are around. One day, someone dear to us will pass on, and yes...life is too short to hold grudges, or 'not care' about things, because once someone's life ends, there would be things we'd regret, if we didn't realize life is short ahead of time. ;) You realize how short life is when you lose a loved one. Life can end when we are least expecting it. :(

I believe the original post was made with the best of intentions and not with a lack of knowledge of certain things. :)

Sevaede
09-27-2006, 11:23 AM
"You're so small!" (I'm 5"2). I absolutely HATE when people say that! :mad: :mad: REEEEALLY???? I didn't notice! :rolleyes:
And when I was younger people would always comment that I was "such a shy little thing". :mad: :rolleyes:

So what?!!!! :confused:

heh, I get that too. I am 4 feet and 9 inches. :o :cool:

Jadapit
09-27-2006, 11:25 AM
When people ask their kids "Do you want a spanking?" Like they are going to say yes to that one.

Your going to be attacked by your pit bull. :mad: That one really upsets me.

Argranade
09-27-2006, 11:40 AM
''Rats with wings'' :mad: Where is a hammer when I need one :p

This saying is stupid but I love it..on my siggy...''Life is hard....harder when your stupid''

The worst saying yet to me is.....''Hey Christina wanna see a full moon'' :rolleyes:

Some people may not get it..lets just say this moon is..a pain in the arse.

Also its stupid when girls come up to me and say ''is that a pigeon?'' there are like over 100 pigeons near each corner and there asking me this question..worse sometimes they dont even know what type of bird it is. :rolleyes:

My Peanuts
09-27-2006, 11:51 AM
I have a good one. "Expect the unexpected." If you expect the unexpected then it's not the unexpected anymore. It is by default the expected. You can never expect the truly unexpected.

LOL, deep, right? :D ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
09-27-2006, 12:27 PM
I used to love to climb trees when I was a kid. Mom would always tell me, "don't come running to me when you fall out of that tree and break your leg". :D

Pembroke_Corgi
09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I hate it when people say about the corgis, "What happened to their legs??" :rolleyes: It really annoys me, I think it's rude.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-27-2006, 12:57 PM
My whole family (and everyone here) knows that we would have dearly loved to have another baby soon after Cali, but due to my RA have been advised not to.

Earlier this month (on my 35th Birthday) I had the following conversation with my (very annoying) FIL:
FIL: So, do you feel any older
Me: Nope, but I am tired today, as Cali had her innoculations yesterday and I was up all night with her
FIL: Ah well, you are older and wiser now, so you won't be having any more

HUH??? He has said A LOT of annoying and insensitive things over the years - but that was a prize-winner!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Just a couple of days ago, I was chatting to a neighbor, and mentioned how stressed I am about this move to Lagos.

Then, about the cats, I said " I am really worried about my cats too, I have a foster for Connor, but nothing definate for Ally yet"

Her response? "Oh, THAT's the least of your worries"

(Of course that's what the rest of the world thinks, but here on PT we know differently - at least you all understand!)

anna_66
09-27-2006, 01:43 PM
"Break a leg"-Never did quite understand that one.

"Is that a horse or a dog?"-Hmmm...now what do you think :rolleyes:

"Your not that old"-Well how old is that old???

When I tell people to enjoy their meal and they say "You too" :p

binka_nugget
09-27-2006, 01:49 PM
"Why would you do that to yourself?"

"But you'd be so much prettier without those!"

"You know those leaves scars right?"

"So you're a punk?"

"Did it hurt"?

I can tolerate most stupid people.. but when people notice my piercings, they ALWAYS say one of the above. The one that bugs me most is "Did it hurt?".. no, it didn't. I just stuck a needle through myself and thought "oh! What a pleasant feeling!" :rolleyes:

Zippy
09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
You can only have depression if something horriable has happened to you :rolleyes:
cats aren't very loving :rolleyes:
Fish don't have Feelings :mad:

Sevaede
09-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Heh, Ashley. I am with you on those.

Every time my MIL brings up one of mine or Troys tattoos or piercings she rants about how she is going to go get a tattoo on her boob and show it off to everyone. :rolleyes: I'm always saying, "Yeah, good luck with that."

JenBKR
09-27-2006, 02:43 PM

Uh oh, guilty! :o

buttercup132
09-27-2006, 03:29 PM
"Why would you do that to yourself?"

"But you'd be so much prettier without those!"

"You know those leaves scars right?"

"So you're a punk?"

"Did it hurt"?

I can tolerate most stupid people.. but when people notice my piercings, they ALWAYS say one of the above. The one that bugs me most is "Did it hurt?".. no, it didn't. I just stuck a needle through myself and thought "oh! What a pleasant feeling!" :rolleyes:I agree , and because I have mine under my eye they always say how did they do that..uhh they stuck the needle through just as is, like are you stupid obviously they have to clamp it. I hate the first two you said like gee thanks alot. My grandma always says them too me. Same with tattoos it drives me insane!

RedHedd
09-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Clerks at Safeway are apparently automatically programmed to ask if you want help out with your groceries. I often go there to pick up a quick sandwich of cup of soup for lunch and they ALWAYS ask if I want help out with my order :rolleyes: Just to get them back, I sometimes say yes and see if they react ... they often just stare at me like "Wha?" :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
09-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Clerks at Safeway are apparently automatically programmed to ask if you want help out with your groceries. I often go there to pick up a quick sandwich of cup of soup for lunch and they ALWAYS ask if I want help out with my order :rolleyes: Just to get them back, I sometimes say yes and see if they react ... they often just stare at me like "Wha?" :rolleyes:
Heehee that reminds me, at Panera Bread, if you get a bagel, they always ask, "Would you like that sliced?" I always say no, but for some reason that is an unacceptable answer, because they always forget. It usually takes a few more repititions of "Did you say that you wanted that sliced?" for them to get it :D

Catty1
09-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Comedian Steven Wright has a whole whack of sayings:

"Why are they called apartments when they're all stuck together?"

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory - but you couldn't park anywhere near the place."

PM me if you want a whole list....sorry I have no creative ones myself.

OH - was doing a transcription my boss left on a tape - he was in a hurry, and out came this gem: "I hope you understand that my professional reputation and my heart are in this thing with both feet."

I didn't edit it - I printed it out and HIGHLIGHTED it! :D

buttercup132
09-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Comedian Steven Wright has a whole whack of sayings:

"Why are they called apartments when they're all stuck together?"

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory - but you couldn't park anywhere near the place."

PM me if you want a whole list....sorry I have no creative ones myself.

OH - was doing a transcription my boss left on a tape - he was in a hurry, and out came this gem: "I hope you understand that my professional reputation and my heart are in this thing with both feet."

I didn't edit it - I printed it out and HIGHLIGHTED it! :DOh man those two were funny!! LOL
I think you should post the list!!

Cincy'sMom
09-27-2006, 09:46 PM
"

"Your not that old"-Well how old is that old???

A "friend" got me on something similar a few weeks ago. He is one of our sales reps and I called to see if he had information about a particular client. He asked if they had done work with us before and I laughed in said yeah in the late 80's. He comments that he was in middle school then, I said me too...'87 would have been about 5th-6th grade. He says "No...you aren't that young!

What the heck was that supposed to mean??? (And for the record, he is 2 years older then me!)

Of course, it was late in the day and I was in a hurry to get off the phone and go home, so it didn't hit what he said until I hung up. I emailed right away and asked what he meant by that...his reply? "You heard me"

I can't say I called him a very nice name after that :D

RedHedd
09-27-2006, 10:00 PM

I didn't edit it - I printed it out and HIGHLIGHTED it! :D LOL! I do that too when my boss dictates something that makes me LOL. I call those "dicto's" :D Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly mischievous, I won't highlight it just to see if he'll catch it.

Karen
09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
"Break a leg"-Never did quite understand that one.

OOooh - I can answer that. In theatre circles, telling a performer "good luck" before the show is considered the ultimate in BAD luck. So instead, one traditionally says "break a leg" which means 'good luck' but sounds like bad luck, so you aren't jinxing the performer.

Pam
09-28-2006, 03:58 AM
I'm glad someone started this thread up again since I missed it when it began.

Recently when my son left the house I said "drive carefully." Somehow I always feel the need to say that. :rolleyes: He said "Gee, Mom I am glad you said that because I was planning to drive recklessly." :p

My pet peeve is hearing people say that poodles are sissy dogs. :rolleyes:

Pam
09-28-2006, 04:04 AM

Anna, for some reason this really cracked me up. :D :D :D

CathyBogart
09-28-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm guilty of saying "you too" at inappropriate times.

I also tell my boyfriend to be careful almost every time he leaves on his motorcycle. Like what, he's going to go out and try to crash it? :rolleyes: I dunno what goes through my head.

My mom was out shopping and bought some whipping cream. The clerk goes "Oh, what do you do with Whipping cream?" ....My mom says "...you make whipped cream..." Clerk: "Oooh, how do you do that?" Mom: "...you whip it."

I hate hate HATE it when I tell people I want to start riding a motorcycle and they tell me...

"noo, you shouldn't do that, they're dangerous" Right, like I don't know they're dangerous. Thank you for enlightening me with your superior knowledge.

"Oooh, I knew this guy who knew a guy who [describes horrible motorcycle crash]" EVERYONE knows someone who knows someone who has crashed, I DO NO WANT TO HEAR IT EVERY TIME IT COMES UP IN CONVERSATION! I would bet that everyone also knows someone who knows someone who died in a car accident, but people don't torture others looking at getting their car license like this!

Last one...Frequently, when I'm at the dog park, someone will pet Jasper and go "oooh, he's SO SKINNY!" (No, he is NOT, it's not my fault people can't recognize a dog in good condition) "Do you feed him?" Last time I got that I looked at the lady, totally aghast, and said "OMG, you mean you have to FEED THEM?!" :p It's not my fault her dogs were fat.

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-28-2006, 11:55 AM
YOU AINT HAD THAT BABY YET?!?

I can't tell you how that GOT ON MY LAST NERVE. I work in the shipping office and we have a lot of regular drivers that come in.. and EVERY one of em would ask me that... and being huge and pregnant... I can't tell you how bad i wanted to choke them and yell at em!! Yeah einstien ... i had it.. :rolleyes:

and it wasnt' just the drivers.. everyone in the warehouse too... I worked up untill my due date and I swear every day i would get at least 1 person every hour ask me.. "YOU AINT HAD THAT BABY YET?!?" MORONS!!!! :o

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-28-2006, 12:14 PM
another one from work that i *HATE*
(I know this makes me sound like a grouch) :o

I HATE IT when drivers come to my window and tell me to smile.
I mean really!!!! who sits around at their job all day smiling!?!?!?!?!?
Do they drive around in their truck all day smiling non stop!?!?!? NOOOOOO :p

Cinder & Smoke
09-28-2006, 12:48 PM
"Do you feed him?"

Last time I got that I looked at the lady, totally aghast, and
said "OMG, you mean you have to FEED THEM?!" :p

<snikker>

GREAT come-back line!! :D

Sure wish I could think that fast! ;)