PDA

View Full Version : VERY sad

buttercup132
11-13-2005, 07:06 PM
be prepared this is so sad ive had this printed off in my room for about2 yrs now and everytime i read it i get all teary eyed so be prepared,its long i know but plz read it!!

Do You Know What You Have Done?
A Tribute to Max, a Well Loved Dog
by Gerard E. Trigo
To the person who bred the pups without a thought.
Then sold them for a profit just for fun.
Do you know what you have done?
To the people who got him and stuck him in a yard,
You fed and watered him but gave no companionship

I took your problem from your hands
And did all I could do.
Max romps and plays in my dreams.
I feel his phantom happy licks on my face.

In spite of the best efforts of all who knew.
There was no correcting the problems he had.
Through medical tests and behaviorists
Every avenue was tried to erase the demons he had

I have always thought that putting an aged companion down,
The loss of a life long companion is so difficult to bear.
You have taught me that there is a harder task
One that is much harder by far.
This is what you have done.
In spite of all our efforts, nothing more could be done.
Max for the safety of others had to be put down.

I had to take dog who loved life to the core.
I had to take this dog to a vet, not for healing
but for death.
He eagerly sniffed new smells and eyed new sights.
He loved the ride in the car, not knowing
he was heading to death
This what you have done.

He sensed that something was wrong on the table and began to fight.
I hugged him tight and sobbingly begged him not to go like this.
At my words he quieted. I was the one person he trusted.
The vet inserted the needle and began to push.

Twice the normal dosage for his weight they gave,
But he stood for a full 5 seconds after they were done.
Finally he collapsed in my arms and sighed his last.
He died not knowing what wrong he had committed.

You have forced me to kill a dog who loved life.
You have forced me to kill a dog
before he had a chance to really live.
It is one thing to ease the passing of an old friend
After a long and loving life.
It is quite another be forced to kill
a loving friend
before he has had a chance to live.

Max's History
Max was sold for $4 and at 4 weeks to a family that had no clue on how to raise or treat a dog. For the first few days he was kept in the house, but because he was so "destructive" (Read he peed/pooped and chewed things.) he as put out side in the back yard. He was fed once a day, though they did check on him twice a day. Except on Saturdays when he was washed, he had on human interaction, or interaction with any other living being. By the time he was 9 months old, they realized they didn't have "enough time" for the dog and we got him.

At first Max was unsure of himself and we saw little indication of the problems to come, though there were hints.

I will not rehash all the problems we had, many of which he did turn around on. Unfortunately not in one critical area. I still wonder if maybe we gave up on him just a little too soon. It is this doubt that is the hardest to bear.

I will instead tell the things that were good about Max. One of his favorite activities was getting bathed, perhaps that was because the only interaction with another living thing he had while at the ignorant people's house. He would often jump in the tub after a hard day's playing and look at you as if to say. "Hey I'm all dirty, how about a bath!"

The couch potatos didn't get to sit quietly all day when Max was around. If one dog didn't want to play he would make the rounds looking for someone to play with.

We kept telling him he wasn't an ear, nose and throat doctor, but that didn't stop him from licking everyone's ears clean. It did not matter if they were already clean. He also would stick his snout in their mouth and clean their teeth.

My favorite thing to watch though were his play chases or races. He would have great circling hte yard races, mostly with Apache and Prince. Though even Mr. Dawg joined in one for one lap once. They didn't always watch where they were going and ran over lawn chairs, Max's original outside dog house and occassionally Cheryl. The last caused her to not look at the races in the same light I did. One race is etched indelibly in my memory. To me it will be the one memory of Max that I cherish the most. It was between Max and Prince. They raced in a great circle around the yard. Prince would cross in front of Max who would leap over his back and continue running without either one losing a step. A sort of doggy ballet of motion. It was something that had to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Like everything else about Max, his affectionate times were not like the other dogs. He would rush up, shove his snout in your face and begin licking with intense force and energy. I used to joke that he took the top layer of skin off when he licked.

Max was not a quitter. Whatever he was doing, he did it until the job was done, no matter what the cost. This was one of the things that we had big problems with. This was especially true when he got in a fight with a dog larger than him, in the end it was this plus his short fused temper that did him in.

this is max
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/rockee12331/max.jpg

.sarah
11-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Oh man that is really sad. I had no idea it was about a real dog when I was reading the poem (if that's what it even is).

:( :(

buttercup132
11-13-2005, 07:29 PM
ya its about a real dog the whole thing is about that cutie in the picture i put at the bottom

AllAmericanPUP
11-13-2005, 07:31 PM
:(

Toby's my baby
11-13-2005, 07:33 PM
That is so sad! :( I can't believe how cruel some people are. . .

Flatcoatluver
11-13-2005, 07:41 PM
omg I am going to print this out and post it in our animals shelter, i am all in tears, thanks so much for sharing.

buttercup132
11-14-2005, 08:11 AM
bump