PDA

View Full Version : And since I didn't know where to post this

.powerful
11-13-2005, 11:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It'll be cross posted here :p

I'm slowly starting to research dog breeds and I think I need some PT help. I'm probably not going to go to rescue, however if I do I still want some breeds in mind.

Well first you should know about my living situation:
I live in a condo, we don't have a backyard however we are located on a park and I would be willing to pay for a dog walker during the day. The dog walker I have my eyes on right now is very nice and reputable. The dogs are gone out for about three hours each day.
We don't want a dog that needs to be exercised excessivly but excersize isn't a HUGE problem. Since our neighbours are connected to us we need a dog that is not going to bark excessivly. I have the time and commitment to do training classes however I want a dog that is pretty obedient by nature. Oh yes, and I would love to have a dog that is good offleash. I've heard that some site hounds can not go off leash easily.

I want a medium-large dog. Does anyone have any experience with St bernards, bernese mountain dogs or newfies? I've had my eye on those dogs too but I'm not sure if they're suitable

I love field dogs, retrievers, setters etc. I *love* the english setter but I am completley crushed that it barks a lot and commonly has seperation anxiety. I am not too fond of golden retrievers or labs though.

Oh and it needs to live with my roomates golden retriever.

I'm getting discouraged. Have you ever seen a dog and looked at it and NEW that you loved it. Well I've been doing that a lot lately but the dogs I *love* never seem to turn out to be a suitable dog for me. The most suitable dog I've come across so far is the Cavalier. However they don't jump out at me, they are cute, and pretty but aren't anything special.

I know that every dog differs however I know that there are some breeds that fit my lifestyle more than others. So please give some suggestions, pictures would also be appreciated but not neccesary.

.sarah
11-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I was actually going to suggest English/show Labs lol, but I guess not ...?

The breeds I think might fit your lifestyle are the Great Dane, Doberman, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, and Bernese Mountain Dog. Possibly St. Bernards but I honestly don't know much about the breed since they don't appeal to me.

There's probably more breeds but at the moment that's all that comes to mind.

.powerful
11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
But to Bernese Mountain dogs bark alot, and are they easy to train and require a yard? I mean he will get a lot of exercise buit I'm not a reputable breeder would want to give one to me when they here i have no yard.

.sarah
11-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Barking really is mostly up to how you train the dog. There are lots of breeds that are claimed "barky" but the only ones (in my experience from working at a vet) that live up to it are the terriers. There are exceptions, but most dogs don't bark if trained well.

Bernese are extremely easy to train. They are very loyal dogs and will mind their owners pretty much no matter what. They're absolutely wonderful :D

I don't think a breeder will care if you don't have a yard. All they want is daily excersize for their pups and it doesn't really matter in what way they get it. A fenced in yard is preffered, of course, but I don't think that you'll be out of the question just because of that.

Toby's my baby
11-13-2005, 01:24 PM
My cousin has had two bernese mountain dogs, and they were beautiful and very well behaved. I dont think I EVER heard them bark, ever. They were so sweet, and the listened well, the were fairly lazy, and were very friendly. I like them a lot, they are really sweet. She lives on a farm, but they rarely went outside, just to go potty.

tz1
11-13-2005, 01:27 PM
I would say an Akita, except for the fact that you said that the dog must live with a golden retriever. My akita hardly ever bark unless something is seriously wrong, he need moderate amounts of exercise, and is a natural guard dog. He is 75 pounds now at 6 months, and will probably be around 120 pounds at full grown, maybe a little more. The thing is that you have to watch them very carefully around other dogs, because they are a very dominant type of dog. Oh, and he's tough to train, he's extremely smart but stubborn.

http://animals.timduru.org/dirlist/dog/JapaneseDog-Akita-kumasit1.jpg

Suki Wingy
11-13-2005, 05:47 PM
The first thing that came to mind was BULLMASTIFF!
http://clubs.akc.org/aba/
Of, and PLEASE go to a reputable breeder or a rescue!

k9krazee
11-13-2005, 05:55 PM
I would say a retired Greyhound

dab_20
11-13-2005, 06:17 PM
i would say maybe a cocker spaniel. if you like the cavalier, you'll prolly like a cocker too. (for looks)

the only thing is that cockers get seperation anxiety. but if your going to have a dog walker while you are at work, that would be fine. They are very mellow, happy tail waggers. They are average in the training area. GREAT with kids. They are happy walking for hours on end, or curling up on the couch with you. but sometimes can gain weight easily. I have my 2nd cocker right now. they are WONDERFUL dogs.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/Abbys2004Litter-YouCantGetMe.jpg

you can go on www.dogbreedinfo.com and take the breed search test. all you have to do is enter your lifestyle, size of dog, grooming needs, etc. Good Luck!

lizbud
11-13-2005, 06:25 PM
It might be that no dog would meet all of your standards right now.
I have know some folks who changed their lifestyles for the dog they
wanted. (moved from Apt to House) It is good to know what you want
a dog to be, but it might be hard for a dog to meet all your expectations
of a perfect dog.

Cataholic
11-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Wow, Liz, I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Maybe you could put your doggie desires on hold until you are situated a little differently? Dogs, like all of us living things, are unpredictable. Sure would hate to see your quest for the perfect dog turn sour, and the one you adopt having to be rehomed. ;)

Suki Wingy
11-13-2005, 06:40 PM
I would say a retired Greyhound
Um, NOT a good idea. She said she wanted a dog off leash. Also, when we were going to get a dog, my mom asked the people from the grey rescue they said never off leash and they will bold out of doors.
I also don't think a cocker would fit it.

sammy101
11-13-2005, 06:52 PM
greyhound daddys greyhound can be offleash..http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=90438
i'm sure you can teach them to not run off. Its difficult for 'hound' dogs in general.from experience with a Beagle,and with Kodie. He's part bloodhound and he cant be offleash yet,but thats mostly my fault :o
i was also going to say Greyhound

dab_20
11-13-2005, 06:57 PM
why dont you think a cocker would fit??

a poodle may fit also.... if you have time for the grooming needs. but you have to teach them not to bark. TOY poodles like to bark.

.powerful
11-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Wow haha, how embarressing. :o

I just don't want to get a breed that is totally not for me. I will adapt my lifestyle for a dog. I know that each dog is different but basically I'm just scared that I will get one and it just wont work. I'm honestly not that picky, I just want the best for my future dog.

.sarah
11-13-2005, 07:40 PM
why dont you think a cocker would fit??

a poodle may fit also.... if you have time for the grooming needs. but you have to teach them not to bark. TOY poodles like to bark.
I've actually seen more barky Standard Poodles than Toy. The Toys/Miniatures tend to be quiet ... at least where I work lol. Besides, she wants a big dog ;)

CagneyDog
11-13-2005, 08:29 PM
I don't think what she's asking is that picky. She wants a large dog that is obedient, needs minimul exercise and doesn't bark much.

I was actually going to suggest a Lab. How come you don't like them?

.sarah
11-13-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't think what she's asking is that picky. She wants a large dog that is obedient, needs minimul exercise and doesn't bark much.

I was actually going to suggest a Lab. How come you don't like them?
I was wondering the same thing. You said you like Retrievers but you don't like Labs and Goldens? Retrievers are so much alike. Flat Coats, Goldens, and Labs have extremely close personalities and Chessies are close as well but are slightly more reserved.

Giselle
11-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Re: Retired Racers- ALL adopters are told to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER let their Greyhounds off lead! E V E R! Nearly all adopters are required to sign a contract that states they will never let their Greyhound off lead unless in a fully fenced area. I signed one :)

Sequoia (Greyhound Daddy's grey) is indeed left off lead at the bench, and this topic has become a rather controversial issue because, technically, it is a breach of contract. However, most beach areas are below standard ground level and the dog will need to climb up a rocky hill to escape. As well, there is usually a lack of prey-like animals at the beach to chase. For these reasons and more, many Greyhound owners choose to let their retired racers off lead at the beach. I myself have brought Giselle to the beach and offlead trails:
http://greypeke.mypetpages.net/artists/1984/0/71bc07679d8a3511ba9cf7e47a9e6a3d.JPG

I do so because I have extreme confidence in her recall and I have scouted these areas in and out and have found very few (if any) prey animals to chase. But if you're looking for a dog who can follow you to the mailbox off lead, don't get a Grey. If you're looking for a dog who can jog with you without a leash on, don't get a Greyhound. If you're looking for a dog who will not bolt out of the door when you open it, don't get a Greyhound. If you're looking for a dog who won't escape from the yard when you accidently leave it unlocked, don't get a Greyhound. But if you're looking for a gentle giant who's always ready to cuddle near you and give you a decade of laughs, please do look into Greyhounds :)

.sarah
11-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Re: Retired Racers- ALL adopters are told to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER let their Greyhounds off lead! E V E R! Nearly all adopters are required to sign a contract that states they will never let their Greyhound off lead unless in a fully fenced area. I signed one :)

Sequoia (Greyhound Daddy's grey) is indeed left off lead at the bench, and this topic has become a rather controversial issue because, technically, it is a breach of contract. However, most beach areas are below standard ground level and the dog will need to climb up a rocky hill to escape. As well, there is usually a lack of prey-like animals at the beach to chase. For these reasons and more, many Greyhound owners choose to let their retired racers off lead at the beach. I myself have brought Giselle to the beach and offlead trails:
http://greypeke.mypetpages.net/artists/1984/0/71bc07679d8a3511ba9cf7e47a9e6a3d.JPG

I do so because I have extreme confidence in her recall and I have scouted these areas in and out and have found very few (if any) prey animals to chase. But if you're looking for a dog who can follow you to the mailbox off lead, don't get a Grey. If you're looking for a dog who can jog with you without a leash on, don't get a Greyhound. If you're looking for a dog who will not bolt out of the door when you open it, don't get a Greyhound. If you're looking for a dog who won't escape from the yard when you accidently leave it unlocked, don't get a Greyhound. But if you're looking for a gentle giant who's always ready to cuddle near you and give you a decade of laughs, please do look into Greyhounds :)
Just wanted to comment that I think that was a sweet post :)

.powerful
11-13-2005, 10:28 PM
I was wondering the same thing. You said you like Retrievers but you don't like Labs and Goldens? Retrievers are so much alike. Flat Coats, Goldens, and Labs have extremely close personalities and Chessies are close as well but are slightly more reserved.

I don't hate them, they are just so common. :)

Thanks everyone for your input.

.sarah
11-13-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't hate them, they are just so common. :)

Thanks everyone for your input.
I hate it when people say that. Just because a breed is common you'd not consider it for yourself? Labs and Goldens are wonderful dogs. (This isn't directed at you, just in general :) )

.powerful
11-13-2005, 11:25 PM
I hate it when people say that. Just because a breed is common you'd not consider it for yourself? Labs and Goldens are wonderful dogs. (This isn't directed at you, just in general :) )

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. Don't get me wrong, I think they're beautiful dogs. I love my roomates Golden, and I love all of the Lab's and Goldens that are on PT. Just out of all of the breeds they wouldn't be my first pick. However, If I was to go to a shelter and fall in love with one, I wouldn't hesitate taking it home. But if I am going to a breeder I want to get a breed I am totally 100% in love with.

CagneyDog
11-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I hate it when people say that.

Yeah same. They all have different personalities :)

.powerful
11-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I know.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Suki Wingy
11-14-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm with you .powerful! I just can't get past the fact that they have been #1 registered UK ans US for so many years and with like 10,000 more than #2. Also, they are usually reall, "Hello, I love you!" type dogs, and I like a dog who is a pit suspicious of strangers. I said no cocker because first she said medium to large size and cocker s are small/small-medium, they need grooming more often, and they need lots of exersize.

senorita02
11-14-2005, 12:37 PM
i would think any large breed dog would require a yard, but maybe not.
i think it is good for them so they can run free and frollick

Majestic
11-14-2005, 01:02 PM
.....Oh and it needs to live with my roomates golden retriever....

besides the breed, you may want to think about its sex. If your roommate's godlen retriever is a male, then a female in mind is a good idea - This to prevent territory's issue between the two.

Here is a link to breeds - I find it very usefull. It will tell you all about "What's good & What's bad" of a breed.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html

dab_20
11-15-2005, 04:05 PM
well have you decided on any breeds that you like that we have suggested? the reason i said cocker is because you said you liked cavaliers. cuz someone said that you woulden't want one because you want a big breed. are you sure you want a big dog? because you live in an apartment with another person and big dog, just make sure there is enough room. ;)

.powerful
11-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Well I think its been narrowed down to a Cavalier, Bernese Mountain dog, or a English Setter. Thanks for the help. :D

dab_20
11-15-2005, 06:34 PM
no prob! i LOVE bernese mountain dogs. and english setters and cavaliers are cute too!