PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had a name chosen before they had the pet?

finn's mom
11-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Well, the reason I'm asking is because I basically had Finn's name chosen before I even met him. I know, for the most part, I've always chosen pet names after I've had the pet for awhile. I think it took my ex and I a week or two to name our cat, Lock. But, with Finn, we'd actually been thinking of getting something more exotic, like a Pharoah Hound, and, I thought Phinneas was a good name. But, then, I met Finn, and, fell head over heels. But, immediately upon holding him in my arms, I knew that he was a Finn. :) And, I helped my roommate back in Washington (over ten years ago, now, WOW, I just thought of that!!) name his Siberian Husky before he arrived. He was in New York and had to be flown to Rick, and, we were trying to think of Russian names, and, settled on Nikolai. Anyway...I've been thinking a lot lately of when I'll be in a position to get another dog. And, the other night a name popped up, and, I think it's going to be the one I choose, as long as it's fits the dog, of course. ;) Hopefully, this will all happen within the next six months...anyway...long story short, I just wondered if anyone else had ever had a name chosen. I know people do it all the time with human babies. Ok, going back to bed, now. :)

anna_66
11-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Definitely!
Mark had picked out the name BON when we were thinking of getting another dog after Angus went to the bridge. Luckily I found the "Bon" we were looking for:D
Many may not know, but Angus was named after Angus Young of AC/DC, so of course we had to stay with the memebers of the band. So Bon is named after Bon Scott:)

Alysser
11-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Yes, I picked out the name Sassy for a dog because I have always wanted a Maltese. When I finally got her, I just named her Sassy. It's so cute because it fits her personality. And she already knew her nmae after 2 hours after she had it. :D

chocolatepuppy
11-13-2005, 08:03 AM
I had the name Lacey picked out for years before I got Lacey. When I got her, it didn't seem to fit her, but I went with it anyway. She quickly seemed to grow into the name! Mandy and Sassy were picked right after we got them, and Missy was already named so I kept her name. :) btw, I already have a name for my next pup, but I'll never tell. ;)

catnapper
11-13-2005, 08:11 AM
None as an adult. I'm a firm believer in meeting them first and then naming them based on their personality. It usually takes me a while to name them (though Pouncer came with the name and it couldn't have fit him better ;) )

As a child, every cat we had in succession was Tiny. The original Tiny came around our house before I was born. Tiny II slept in my crib with me and he was such a gentleman with a little girl who loved to love him (that would be me :o ) Then came Tiny III when I was 10. No more Tiny's though maybe someday if I get a moo cow kitty I'll name him Tiny IV. :D But only if the name fit ;)

k9krazee
11-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Before we got Jack I really wanted to pick out the name, the rest of the dogs I didn't name and I really really wanted to name him...well I picked out a few names and my family didn't like any of them, my mom had her heart set on Blackjack, I was talking to my Aunt online and she didn't like the names I picked out either but suggested Jumpin Jack Splash, I had a week to think about names before he came home and the moment I saw him again I knew his name would be Jack...long story short, I guess we did sorta name him before he came home. I already have a name picked out for my next male dog...

Laura's Babies
11-13-2005, 09:27 AM
I have said in the past, "The next cat I get I will name........" Then get the cat and it didn't fit so now I just wait and meet the new baby and see what fits.

The ONE time I had a name picked out backfired on me.. My then, husband was getting be a black persian kitten for my birthday, a female so I wanted something femine and pretty... Lace or Lacy wasn't feeling right with me so I thought and thought and thought about frilly Ruffles and decided on Ruffles for her, so Ruffles she was. The name was PURFECT for her but not because of it being femine and pretty... It was because she had her feathers ruffled so easy and would get upset over the simpliest things. (Hope you have heard that old saying "Don't get your feathers so ruffled!... meaning not to get so upset)

sammy101
11-13-2005, 09:35 AM
I didnt have any names picked out before we adopted my two. Kodie was named Bronco but we didnt like that at all..lol.We thought of Bo,boreguard(spll?) and a few other names,but i picked Kodie and thats what we went with.I also picked Lucys name,my mom added the Lou part..so LucyLou.

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2005, 09:40 AM
My husband wanted a cat. I said (after much debate) only if it was a female...eithr gray and white or calico...and named Edwina. While we lookd for the right cat he would "talk" to her. "Come here Edwina...you can get up here..."

Then one day at the shelter we found her....and the name suits her perfectly!

k9krazee
11-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Oh, my mom did try to name Jasper before we got him. I told her that we were getting her a white female kitten for mothers day and she started thinking of names right away. She chose the name Paris before we even met "her" and after the cat came home she felt the name fit so Paris it was! After a trip to the vet we found out Paris was a boy so she had to start thinking of a different name and Jasper he became!

wolfie
11-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Anyway...I've been thinking a lot lately of when I'll be in a position to get another dog. And, the other night a name popped up, and, I think it's going to be the one I choose, as long as it's fits the dog, of course. ;) Hopefully, this will all happen within the next six months...
How exciting Kari! :D Finn would love a brother or sister!

No, we decided on names after they all came home (except for Cocoa, who came with her name).

But I have a long list of names I love, and I've kind of picked out a name for my future cat. ^_^ But I might decide on a totally different name once I get him! Who knows.

ParNone
11-13-2005, 10:30 AM
I guess because I got a specific breed with my 4, it was easier to pick a name beforehand. Some names just won't work. For example, I love the name, "AppleSauce" for a female Golden, but it wouldn't work at all for a Blue Merle Collie. So when I switched from getting a Golden to another Collie, "AppleSauce" changed to "Gulliver". I still got "AppleSauce" on my list, if I ever get a Golden one day.

The only time I had to change the original name I picked was for Maddie. I was going to name her McMuffin, to go with McMurphy, my male Cairn. After spending a short time with her, I knew it wasn't going to fit her. She was too regal for that name. A real Uptown Girl. So she became a Madison instead.

If I ever get another female Cairn or even a female Collie, I'm naming her "My Girl Friday". I love that, then I can call her "Fry" for short. I think it'll go with either breed too.

Par...

finn's mom
11-13-2005, 11:06 AM
How exciting Kari! :D Finn would love a brother or sister!

I know, it'll be awhile, though, maybe even another year. But, you know I'll be posting like mad if I decide to start looking for another dog. And, the name I'm thinking of would be for a girl dog...I mean I've always had a few names that I liked...but, this one just popped into my head the other day, and, as long as it fits the girl dog (if I even get a girl dog!), it'll be the name I use, for sure. Some of the names I've always loved, though, and, there's a new person in here with an Akita that has one of them...Zero. I love that name, it's from The Nightmare Before Christmas! And, I love Bucket, I think that'd be a great name for a big ol' goofy lab boy, if I ever got Finn a brother. ;) As in Charlie Bucket, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

gemini9961
11-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Sadie and Maggie got their names after we had them and Grant came with his name. I do however have a few names already lined up in the event we ever get another dog. It would be another female. I have a few names and one of them would be sure to fit her.

.powerful
11-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I know this thread is mainly directed towards cat's and dogs but I came up with Riley's name a few weeks before I got him. I chose Rocky's name when we saw him. I have a few female names in mind for the dog I am hoping to get in the near future. I think it's hard to come up with names without seeing the animal first though.

Glacier
11-13-2005, 12:33 PM
We tried that with Muskwa, but it didn't work. His name was supposed to be Heyoka, but it didn't fit him at all. Until he was five months old his name was HEY YOU NO! Six years later, Heyoka, who was then called Nanook, came along and it was perfectly clear why the name hadn't worked for Muskwa--it was meant for Heyoka!

One of my best friends has a golden named Finn too. His name was picked out long before he arrived. She lost another golden about a year before who's name was Casey. Finn's full name is Finnegan....You might have to be a Canadian kid to get the connection. Casey and Finnegan were best friends on the children's show, Mr. Dress-up. I don't think it was ever shown in the States, but it was darn near a National day of mourning here when the man who played Mr. Dress-up died.

.sarah
11-13-2005, 01:35 PM
I picked out Mandy and Luka's name after meeting them. I wanted something that fit for Luka and with Mandy I was 9 years old and just liked it lol. Nova's name was picked out when we were looking for a Golden Retriever and we would name it Nova. But there were no puppies available at the time we wanted a Golden and then we found Nova. The name fits her absolutely perfectly. It's a type of star, and Nova is the best dog I've ever owned. Truly a star in my eyes :D We were going to go with a star name for Luka too (not telling, it may be my next dog's name ;) ) but it didn't really fit her. She needed a more tomboy/slightly human name.

finn's mom
11-13-2005, 01:58 PM
I know this thread is mainly directed towards cat's and dogs

Nope, that's why I put it in general, cuz it's for everyone! :)

zippy-kat
11-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Some time in the future, I'd like to adopt bunny twins and name them "Barley and Hops."

I'd also like to own a Vizla and name her Violet.

carole
11-13-2005, 03:52 PM
You are not alone here Kari, yes I also had Lexie's name picked out before i met her, and I have names already picked out for future kitties in my life, I save them on my favourites, I hope to own a tortie girl one of these days and she will be called Autumn I think (not copying you Megan,had it already chosen a while back lol).

prechrswife
11-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Let's see...with our current pets, we have some of each. My husband had always wanted a dog named Max, so our first basset was named Max. We had also picked out Gus and Oscar as other good basset names, so they were both named before we got them. (Gus is our RB basset boy. :( ) Saphirah and Chloe were named after getting them, as was Samson, although I've always liked Samson as a name for a male cat.

Jessika
11-13-2005, 05:10 PM
HJ already had the name "Jamie" picked out before even knowing what she looked like! But when I walked in to pick her up, the name suited her perfectly :)

Flatcoatluver
11-13-2005, 05:37 PM
i had a few picked out for zoey's tia, tamera, pheabe and zoey, but then when i meant zoey i knew it would be a perfect name for zoey, and i don't regreat naming her that. ;)

cali
11-13-2005, 07:03 PM
I usually have names that I like, and I want to name a pet, but when I meet the pet it pretty much always changes, like before I got Kari, I had decided when I got my bunny I would name her Holly, Holly did not even come into the question when I actually got her though. Misty was supposed to be "Rudy" before I met her, then we picked ou Misty after we met her, and before we brought her home, the "Misty" was short for "mistletoe christmas" within 5 minuts of her setting paw in the van it changed to "Mistletoe Mischief", I had a name picked out for Happy, I dont remeber what it was though, Happy was her litter name and when I met her the name just fit, so I kept it. Perky catually took a few days, when we picked her up she was "biskit" then for a few days she was "pebbels" then "Roxy" and we finally settled on "Perky" Ripley was "Rosco" when we got him, we were going to keep it but the first night we had him he got out of the yard, and when we said "Rosco" he rann full speed in the opposiet direction, so he needed a new name, he wasjust nameless till we settled on "Ripley" after watching "Ripleys believe it or not" . I think Taru is the only name we have picked out ahead of time and actually kept.

Van10
11-15-2005, 10:25 AM
I thought that if I ever got an orange-coloured female cat, (which I did :D) Pesca (Peach) would be her name. I only named Tux after I got him, for obvious reasons.

I would like to get a male Miniature Dashund sometime in the future and he will be called Salciccia, Sal for short which means sausage in italian. :p

lv4dogs
11-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Yup, I picked out the name Nanook before I got him. If it wasn't for the name I might not of had my boy. I wanted a dog that looked & acted like a Nanook & I found him!

Kaige... well his name was kind of picked out before I got him... but after he was born. I had a few names in my head that I loved & I let him pick which one he liked the best.

Felicia's Mom
11-15-2005, 01:42 PM
I usually chose the names before I get the cats. I did this with Felicia, and Beau.

Kirbys Mom
11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Ya i had 2 names picked out before i got Kirby, i had to look at him to see which one fit. It was between Kirby and Kiba...I went with Kirby.

With Sophie we picked out 2 names before hand it was goin to be Sophie or Ginger...we went with Sophia Loren

Samantha Puppy
11-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Samantha was not planned so my husband and I had no names chosen for a dog. I came up with a list of 10-12 names I liked and he chose Samantha from the list.

With the kitties, Sushi came with his name. We really liked it and decided to go with a Japanese name for the other kitty, whose name was Doogie. He became Kirin. That was decided before we actually brought him home.

The girls were not planned either so we got them and then came up with names for them - still keeping with the Japanese theme. Ironically, what ended up helping us was that I had planned on getting a kitty from moosmom and had a list of Japanese girls names. I presented Josh with the list and we chose the two that we felt fit them the best - Kimi, which means "She who is without equal" (quite fitting for a girl kitty) and Amaya, which means "Night rain" since it stormed like a mofo the night we got them.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Yes, Tango's name was sort of chosen before we brought her home (or knew she was even concieved). I'd always wanted to name my first Toller Tango. At first I didn't want to name her Tango, as she wasn't purebred and I didn't think it'd suit her...but it did. My mom was actually the first to suggest it once she was born though. She didn't even know I wanted to name a dog that, ever.

I also have about 4 names chosen that I like for my Toller puppy next year - just hoping one of them will fit her. Though I'm sure one will.

Uabassoon
11-15-2005, 02:31 PM
I always have names planned out, but then when I get the pet I realize the name doesn't match. So now I wait until I get to know the pet better before naming him. However with Tuna I knew I wanted a kitty named Tuna, so when Alexa adopted him I thought he fit the name so I asked if we could name him Tuna.

areias
11-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Sam came with his name already picked out, and it fit him so we left it. We had already met Casey when she was 5-6 weeks, we decided to adopt her and we picked out a name then. My dad wanted to name her Zena..it definately dosen't fit her now. The family had always said they liked the name Boomer, so when we brought our 3rd home, Boomer it was.

I generally name them after I see them, however I plan on getting a Doberman in the future, and as long as it fits him, his name will be Romeo. I think thats the cutest name for an animal.

katrina
01-02-2007, 04:58 PM
i have a german shorthaired pointer whos kennel club name is adnyl rolo ruffian and when we went to buy him, his breeder had called him Roly for short an so we just stuck with that! :)

I_luv_rusty
01-02-2007, 05:01 PM
When we got Rusty he had the name, so we didn't change it because he knew it already and all.. :p

Zippy
01-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Zippy was going to be Zippy or Dancer
Pumpkin my brother named
Ruby was the only betta who I know his name that second.Nemos changed 1 time.Libby changed like 3 times.Corals name was Yoga intil I could deside between that Pearl or Coral.I have a list of futrue names but all of them fit cats or bettas.

lizbud
01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
No, I've never had a name picked out before meeting the animal. (cat/dog)
I have to get to know them better before I choose a name. :)

chocolatepuppy
01-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I had the name Lacey picked out for years before I got Lacey. When I got her, it didn't seem to fit her, but I went with it anyway. She quickly seemed to grow into the name! Mandy and Sassy were picked right after we got them, and Missy was already named so I kept her name. :) btw, I already have a name for my next pup, but I'll never tell. ;)

That quote is from 11-13-05 and now everyone knows the name I'd never tell. *Layla*! :p

kittycats_delight
01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I actually have a list of names. And within the list there are names that can fit every different personality, appearance and attitude. I think I have it all covered.

borzoimom
01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Several times!! And also changed it a few times too.. lol.. Pets tend to name themselves- especially in this house.

GreyhoundGirl
01-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Jenny got hers on a whim. But I really like it, so alls well that end well, I suppose. *shrugs*

Cincy'sMom
01-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Before we met Sadie, we talked about either Sadie or Panda. Sadie fit her better when we met her.

Cincy got her name after we met her and Spot came with his. I do have a few ideas for future dogs, but who knows if we will ever use them...

jenfer
01-02-2007, 11:47 PM
I do I do!!! I have Gigi's name before I have her. I know I want a girl, but haven't decide on the breed yet. And her name fit her perfectly. :D

TamanduaGirl
01-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I've always prefered naming them after but Hyzzie ghot her name first but I didn't commit to it till I met her. Pua was the same way for different reasons since it was a sort of theme name Pua meaning heart in Tupi and that being the language her species name is from.

lvpets2002
01-03-2007, 03:36 PM
:) Most all of my babies got names after I got them.. However I had Taccoa named before I got her.. Because she is my CH baby & so I wanted a very special name for her.. Taccoa means Beautiful in Indian..

Iilo
01-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I came up with Rien's name before we got him, however I thought it was going to be pronounced Or-ree-in rather than O-ryan... I sent the breeder an email with the name we chose and no pronounciation key, and she assumed (correctly, we now realize ;)) that his name was Orien, like the constellation, only misspelled. By the time we picked him up he responded to that name and it just fits him better.

DrKym
01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Goddess Goofball Goodnow (goofy) was picked out before I knew I was ever going to get another small dog. She was named in memoriam of my toy poodle that passed on in 2003. Jas brought home the cocker baby and said she was a Mandy an I said like H*ll ;) so she was named before I got her and before I knew she existed hehe
Fits her though, spoiled diva brat child.................... ;)

dab_20
01-03-2007, 08:11 PM
We picked Sammy's name on our way to go see him. We thought if he looked like a Sammy, then that would be his name.